Apartment Noise Reduction

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2013
I'm set on getting a table and a robot for my small apartment. One thing that I'm concerned about though is if neigbours will hear it too much.
I live on the first floor, so balls bouncing on the floor and me moving around, will most likely create noise for those underneath me. The only thing I can think of is laying sleeping mats or training mats around the table, so the balls wont bounce on the floor. I can obviously not do that in front of the table, where I'll move around.
For the walls I'm thinking painting canvases. I also paint as a hobby. I know that the ball will slide down instead of bouncing of, so less ping noise.
Practice in the time Window when people are at work and in school would also help.
But what else could I do? Any suggestions

Sendt fra min SM-A202F med Tapatalk

Reactions: violoniste18
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I am not sure how thick the the floor for you, and the ceiling for the people below you is. But that would be the big issue. What you would do, ideally is go into your downstairs neighbor's apartment and have someone in your apartment jump around a little and do some shadow footwork drills for you to see how it sounds. Because the feet are going to be a much bigger issue than the balls bouncing.

For music, usually what you would do to soundproof is build a room within a room with insulation in the space between the original floor and the elevated floor and between the original walls and the inner construction walls. And same for the ceiling above. But with music, usually someone is not moving the way you move for table tennis.

And the moving and footwork can really shake a whole building. So, not sure the room within a room would work.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
By the way, if you are on the first floor, is there someone directly below you?

I guess, another question: When people directly above you walk around and talk, can you hear them in your apartment? This will give you an indication of what people below will hear. If you hear people walking, two people playing TT will be exponentially louder.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2013
No one lives above me, so I can't really Tell. But you can hear when people are laughing loud and talking very loud (when they are a bit angry). You can clearly hear when they puke (very disturbing). You can sometimes hear peoples phone alarm going off in the morning. When people are drilling next door, it's very loud.

The last years time I've been very confused if anyone actually lives under me. And yes there's a room exactly like mine right underneath.
I guess I have to figure out if anyone's actually living there. Maybe they're nightworkers and sleep in the day. If they're heavy sleepers no problem I guess.

I wish I could get an underlay to reduce vibrations that I would stick to the floor where I would stand. But still being able to grip on it of course.

But I guess if nobody's at home underneath in the time frame when I'd practice, then no problem.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Your first job is to find out if there is anyone below you. Because, if you hear people talking, puking, or alarms, then what people would hear from you if they are below you would be a l little like being in the heart of a thunder storm with some earth shaking added. You playing, there would be parts that would still be exponentially louder than the drilling. And they likely would be sudden noises that go with the building shaking. So, there is a sudden startling aspect to the sound.

In the video below, this guy starts talking about some of how to keep sound in a room from getting out which would also make it so you don't hear your neighbors at about 2.20 of the video. A hint, this is expensive construction:

Hopefully that helps you understand why you would need to build a room within a room if you really want to dampen the sound enough so it does not disturb people.

If you were in your own home and there was nobody downstairs and nobody upstairs and the walls to the next apartment were brick from your building and brick from their building, then you would not need to do much. But if you hear someone vomiting and you don't them to hear you play TT, you probably would need to build a very solid raised floor with air space between the original floor and the raised floor, inside walls with air space between the inner wall and the original wall, and a drop ceiling with air space between it and the original ceiling as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: nivekkan
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2013
I just knocked on the door downstairs and no one came to the door, so I'll try another time.

I'm not going for an expensive room-in-a-room solution. My apartment is only about 35 m² all in all. There's just enough space for enough room behind the table. Not for mid to long distance training. But that's fine. I need a lot of practice for the basic shots (just had a 6 years break) and for over the table shots that I'm struggling with. Especially in the forehand. It sucks at the moment haha.

I think that the best solution for me right now would be to figure out when my closest neighbours are home. Most people are not home between 10 am and 3 pm, so that's a 5 hour window. At the moment I have to get ready for work at 11 am, so I would push it an hour and start 9 am and then do 2 hours of robot and service training. At that time most people have gone to work and school.
Weekends will be a bit different, but it's still a good 5 hour window I'd say.
Usually we can play relative loud music in that time that time frame (probably til 5 pm) without anybody saying anything about it or knocking on the walls.

Minimizing the noise would still be great though.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Yeah. It sounds like your best bet is to try and if neighbors complain, then talking to them and trying to work out times with them where they are okay with you playing. But hopefully the times you are already thinking of work.

And if you watch that video, the guy is pretty clear that putting stuff on the walls isn't going to cut it. :) So, your best bet is to play and then, if people happen to be disturbed, then you work out when it is okay for them for you to practice. Hopefully it does not disturb anyone.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2013
Putting something on the walls was more about when I miss and hit the walls. I just tried it. The sound will reflect a lot in the room when hitting the wall (a higher freqeuency). Hitting a canvas makes a dull and muted sound (lower frequency) that don't reflect so much. Foam would be better. I know that it wont help against sound reflections from inside this room to another, as in the sound from hitting the ball and landing on the table and me moving around. But if I can change how the sound reflects when the physical object hits the surface, then that could be a solution.

I produce music (I don't really mix Much though), so I do know that the only way to soundproof a room would be as you mentioned, the room inside a room. OR changing the insides of the walls, the floor and the ceiling completely. And That's not gonna happen haha.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2021
What about soundproofing your rooms from the outdoor noise as well as decreasing the level of noise that can come from your flat? There are a lot of videos on youtube and other sources about how you can do this on your own using different materials. While doing this you can ask your neighbors to test how they hear you and what you are doing in your flat.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2021
Bro, you have been CONFUSED about people living under you. You surely need to go outside your house more.