coaching

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2012
Hi guys. Im new to the site so hello to all of you. Looks like a great site with some great info and some very knowledgeable and enthusistic members. Hopefully then can provide me with some advice. Sorry but this post does go on a bit!

I have played TT since I was 14 (now 36), and with very very little coaching I have managed to work my way up to being a reasonable standard at local league level, but by no means a top local league player. From the age of 20 until present day I have predominently played in our league's top section, with occasional seasons in the 2nd division. My win/loss average in the top league would normally only be about 25%, but in the 2nd division I would average about 90%. There is a big difference in standard between the divisions!

We have a county ranking list and I am usually ranked around the 60 mark, out of about 500 players. If I was ranked in the ETTA rankings I would probably be around the 480 mark, based on the postions of other local league players that are on the ETTA list and my results againt them in our local league.

Four years ago I suffered a severe life threatening injury which stopped my playing for 2 years. It has taken a lot of rehab to overcome these injuries and also therapy to overcome the depression and PTSD I suffered. My physio and psychologist recommended I get back into playing TT to help my recovery and to help overcome the depression and I must say just being able to play again really did give me a massive boost on my road to recovery. Last year I returned to league play in our 2nd division and managed a win average of 60% (way down on normal but to be expected) as our team won promotion to the top division.

This season I am playing in the top divsion and despite still suffering from back pain, I am having my best season ever. I average 50% (compared to 25% normally) and I am now ranked at 40 in the county. I have put this improvement in perfromance down to the fact that I now play with a lot less fear than I used to. After almost dying and not being able to play for a couple of years I guess my outlook on the game changed.

Now that the end of the season is coming, I am thinking of doing some serious training and hiring a coach over the closed season (apppox 20 weeks) so that I can compete with some of the best players in our league. I have beat many players ranked above me locally but struggle against those in top 15 bracket. If I were to get just 4 hours 1 to 1 coaching a week, combined with a further 2 hours of open practice/practice matches, do you think that my game could improve those 2-3 points needed to be able to compete with the best locally? On top of this I am also doing pilates to help strengthen my core, and will be looking to work on strengthening my leg muscles as well. I think just by being physically fitter then I can add 1 or 2 points to my game. Prior to my accident I was a healthy 154 pounds but due to 2 years of inactivity I ballooned to 198 pounds. I am now back down to 176 pounds.

Obviously this is not cheap and will probably cost about £3000. Do you think it is worth the investment? Any advice appreciated!

Many thanks in advance.

says Check out my Podcast Talkin' Smash!
says Check out my Podcast Talkin' Smash!
TeamJOOLA
Oct 2010
Read 12 reviews
Sounds like you have some talent, I know how hard it is to try and improve without the resources or training available as I faced a similar situation myself as a junior player and it wasn't until I moved to university I had the opportunity to train, the cost was high but I jumped on the opportunity and I have never looked back. Since investing in my game starting in 2009 I have represented my country twice and last year won a regional mens singles title and 2 regional closed champs mens singles titles. So I say, if you love the sport and you want to improve, then INVEST. If you put in the hard work you won't regret it.

says Begonnen bij TTC Damme, vorig jaar bij TTC Pipolic en nu...
says Begonnen bij TTC Damme, vorig jaar bij TTC Pipolic en nu...
May 2011
It seems like you're about to invest in your life. If it makes you happy & you can afford it, I would not hesitate.

Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀

Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀
Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
Hey Bionic Man :)

Welcome to the site! Great that you have joined us.

Firstly I want to say, what a hero you are for returning to the sport after your injury. Fantastic stuff! I quit table tennis 2 years ago because of my back injury. I have started to slowly come back into the sport however I still have lots of pain. I have come back into it to help me feel better about myself. I know of the torture of not being able to play... It is a nightmare.

However, if you are better now and you can play, I would go for it 100%... You have the desire and passion, so go for it :)... Upload videos to us from time to time so we can try and help your game out.

Where abouts are you based in the UK?

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Hi guys. Im new to the site so hello to all of you. Looks like a great site with some great info and some very knowledgeable and enthusistic members. Hopefully then can provide me with some advice. Sorry but this post does go on a bit!

I have played TT since I was 14 (now 36), and with very very little coaching I have managed to work my way up to being a reasonable standard at local league level, but by no means a top local league player. From the age of 20 until present day I have predominently played in our league's top section, with occasional seasons in the 2nd division. My win/loss average in the top league would normally only be about 25%, but in the 2nd division I would average about 90%. There is a big difference in standard between the divisions!

We have a county ranking list and I am usually ranked around the 60 mark, out of about 500 players. If I was ranked in the ETTA rankings I would probably be around the 480 mark, based on the postions of other local league players that are on the ETTA list and my results againt them in our local league.

Four years ago I suffered a severe life threatening injury which stopped my playing for 2 years. It has taken a lot of rehab to overcome these injuries and also therapy to overcome the depression and PTSD I suffered. My physio and psychologist recommended I get back into playing TT to help my recovery and to help overcome the depression and I must say just being able to play again really did give me a massive boost on my road to recovery. Last year I returned to league play in our 2nd division and managed a win average of 60% (way down on normal but to be expected) as our team won promotion to the top division.

This season I am playing in the top divsion and despite still suffering from back pain, I am having my best season ever. I average 50% (compared to 25% normally) and I am now ranked at 40 in the county. I have put this improvement in perfromance down to the fact that I now play with a lot less fear than I used to. After almost dying and not being able to play for a couple of years I guess my outlook on the game changed.

Now that the end of the season is coming, I am thinking of doing some serious training and hiring a coach over the closed season (apppox 20 weeks) so that I can compete with some of the best players in our league. I have beat many players ranked above me locally but struggle against those in top 15 bracket. If I were to get just 4 hours 1 to 1 coaching a week, combined with a further 2 hours of open practice/practice matches, do you think that my game could improve those 2-3 points needed to be able to compete with the best locally? On top of this I am also doing pilates to help strengthen my core, and will be looking to work on strengthening my leg muscles as well. I think just by being physically fitter then I can add 1 or 2 points to my game. Prior to my accident I was a healthy 154 pounds but due to 2 years of inactivity I ballooned to 198 pounds. I am now back down to 176 pounds.

Obviously this is not cheap and will probably cost about £3000. Do you think it is worth the investment? Any advice appreciated!

Many thanks in advance.

DUDE! for 3000 Pounds, you could fly to Korea, live in Seoul with a couple of our Korean Foreigner TTC members, train, get coached and play all day, and live here for 6 months easy if you can live off of ramen, rice, veggies, eggs, and other assorted low cost stuff. One month club membership with 5x a week lessons cost a little over 100 pounds a month here for an ex-pro, an ex-national or other former top player. These coaches... They grow on trees over here.