Sponge hardness between FH and BH rubbers

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2020
I read equation FH rubber hardness -2 = BH rubber hardness on Pingsunday.com . Like, If Fh rubber's degree is 45, Bh rubber should be 43. But i read chinese pro players ( Ma long, Fan zhendong etc) use very hard rubbers harder than markets' H3 and they use softer rubbers like tenergy. Therefore, i dont agree with this equation. Any idea?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2020
On forehand you should use harder sponges in order tot involve the entire body to get the maximum power from the hard sponge. Backhand stroke is however more compact than the forehand stroke, unless you are a sort of Kalinikos Kreanga and you can hit you backhand almost as your forehand. So, in order to create maximum power with a compact stroke, you need a softer sponge than on your forehand, so you don't need to use all of your body to develop a powerful backhand.

On pro level they are phisically and technically very strong, but they still use this principle. There are some players such as Liang Jingkun that consider that the powerfull H3 National Blue Sponge is softer than the orange one, so they play with it on backhand.

But still, I repeat, they are pros, they know how to coordinate their feet and arms to obtain maximum power both on forehand and backhand.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Reactions: Foxy
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2020
On forehand you should use harder sponges in order tot involve the entire body to get the maximum power from the hard sponge. Backhand stroke is however more compact than the forehand stroke, unless you are a sort of Kalinikos Kreanga and you can hit you backhand almost as your forehand. So, in order to create maximum power with a compact stroke, you need a softer sponge than on your forehand, so you don't need to use all of your body to develop a powerful backhand.

On pro level they are phisically and technically very strong, but they still use this principle. There are some players such as Liang Jingkun that consider that the powerfull H3 National Blue Sponge is softer than the orange one, so they play with it on backhand.

But still, I repeat, they are pros, they know how to coordinate their feet and arms to obtain maximum power both on forehand and backhand.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk
Thanks. Very good information. I learnt one new thing which is blue hurricane sponge. Your right

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2019
Read 4 reviews
It's all personal preference. Most of my training mates use MX-P forehand EL-P backhand, and transition into 2*MX-P and they are successful regional (and somewhat on higher levels), despite having two of the same rubber on both faces. Try other people setups. Play with whatever you feel good with.

I deeply believe that, on especially lower levels, gear should make you confident and feel good to you, and not think about spin and speed of it. If something feels right to you, you will be more successful with it.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2020
It's all personal preference. Most of my training mates use MX-P forehand EL-P backhand, and transition into 2*MX-P and they are successful regional (and somewhat on higher levels), despite having two of the same rubber on both faces. Try other people setups. Play with whatever you feel good with.

I deeply believe that, on especially lower levels, gear should make you confident and feel good to you, and not think about spin and speed of it. If something feels right to you, you will be more successful with it.
That's true. When pushing, do affect different rubbers with ones having in sponge hardness ( One is hard and another one is soft rubbers) ?

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
The force you can create on impact is part of what determines what would be an optimal hardness range for each wing.

Some people can generate a lot of force on impact with BH but not with FH. Many more people can generate more force on impact on FH than BH.

But, clearly, personal preference also plays a role in what rubbers you might want to use. So, I don't think you can come up with a formula that is would apply across a wider range of people.

And softer rubbers generally give you more ability to feel. Harder rubbers give you higher top end speed. If you have the impact and the touch, feel and power to make deep contact without bottoming out on a hard sponge--or, said differently, if you have decently high level technique--then you will get more spin on power shots with a harder rubber too. But softer rubbers give you a wider margin for error; so they are easier to use.

says toooooo much choice!!
Jul 2020
Read 11 reviews
It’s all personal !!!! I’ve used soft and hard sponge rubbers on both FH and BH.

i used to play Golden Tango on BH this has a reasonably hard sponge 54 degree (ish) I really liked it !! I’ve also used Rhyzer 43 which has sponge hardness of 43 degrees [clues in the rubber name!!!) [hardness stated is Shore ‘O’ scale]

there are generally 2 hardness scales used by manufacturers but this is NOT a firm rule, so stated sponge hardnesses by manufacturers can be misleading, which doesn’t really help with things!!!

for example T05 is 36 degree Shore A scale or 49 degrees Shore O scale.

says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020
It’s all personal !!!! I’ve used soft and hard sponge rubbers on both FH and BH.

i used to play Golden Tango on BH this has a reasonably hard sponge 54 degree (ish) I really liked it !! I’ve also used Rhyzer 43 which has sponge hardness of 43 degrees [clues in the rubber name!!!) [hardness stated is Shore ‘O’ scale]

there are generally 2 hardness scales used by manufacturers but this is NOT a firm rule, so stated sponge hardnesses by manufacturers can be misleading, which doesn’t really help with things!!!

for example T05 is 36 degree Shore A scale or 49 degrees Shore O scale.

How would the hardness of the T05 , 36 degree compare with a Standard H3 36 degree. (I have only ever got a 37 degree but probably close enough )

Jul 2020
Read 11 reviews
How would the hardness of the T05 , 36 degree compare with a Standard H3 36 degree. (I have only ever got a 37 degree but probably close enough )

H3 is generally available in 39,40 & 41 degree sponges, the 37 degree H3 is a new release this year. So T05 is slightly softer. How much softer it ‘actually feels’ maybe quite different though!!!

That's true. When pushing, do affect different rubbers with ones having in sponge hardness ( One is hard and another one is soft rubbers) ?

For push chops, harder rubbers are really good as long as you have good ball contact.

Jul 2020
Read 11 reviews
Hasn't there been H3-37-degrees since Ma Long started using it from BH several years ago?

Not sure, could possibly have been available in China, but during 2020 the reviews started to appear, the last time I checked TT11, they still didn’t have 37degree versions of H3 /H3 Neo available. I think TT11 are possibly the largest DHS distributor in Europe.
There’s limited availability of the 37 degree versions available in Europe, the only place I found was with DHS-729.
I think Aliexpress and othe Hong Kong sites have it available.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Last edited:
Reactions: thomas.pong
says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
Jan 2018
This?

That's likely the 37° RED H3 that CNT has been using for several years. ML first changed to it after losing to ZJK in the World Cup 2014. Many others use it on their BH now. It has been available to the market for quite some years. It was finally released to the market a few months ago as a separate model - 狂飚3-37柔(Hurricane 3 - 37 Soft). The sponge is in orange.

https://twitter.com/momoneko_ttc/status/1254791303516139521
OMyfdxe.jpg

Before that, WLQ and XX first changed to #17(white sponge, unknown hardness) and #60(yellow sponge, many say 38°) under H3 topsheet in 2014, respectively.

And some info on H3-37 Soft, H8, H3-50, Skyline 3-60, with the available hardness from the 2020 official DHS catalog:

H3-37 Soft has what should be the #20 sponge at 37°, high-density/nonporous.
H8 has the #25 sponge, at 39°/40°/41°, high-density/nonporous.
H3-50 has the #50 sponge, at 35°/37°, porous.
Skyline 3-60 has the #60 sponge, at 35°/37°, porous.

Last edited:
says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020