Who will win the World Team Championships 2012?

• China

Votes: 132 79.5%
  • Germany

Votes: 14 8.4%
  • Korea Republic

Votes: 6 3.6%
  • Japan

Votes: 6 3.6%
  • Russia

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Austria

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Hong Kong

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Portugal

Votes: 3 1.8%
  • Singapore

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Other (write below)

Votes: 3 1.8%

• Total voters
says Waldner Masterclass out now! 🏓
says Waldner Masterclass out now! 🏓
Administrator
Oct 2010
LIEBHERR World Team Table Tennis Championships 2012, March 25th - April 1st​

Total number of team entries is: 121

Click for our Media Library which contains all the matches from the WTTTC 2012!

The Liebherr World Team Table Tenis Championships is just around the corner with the action beginning on the 25th March 2012! This spectacular event in the lead up to the London 2012 Olympics will take place in the German city of Dortmund. Just a mere 11 days away with the Swaythling Cup in the Men’s event and the Marcel Corbillon Cup in the Women's event being the peak of success.

Live matches from the World Team Table Tennis Championships 2012 can be watched in our ITTF Live Streaming which has integrated chat!

Wow! What a year 2012 has been so far with recent World Tours. The next major event in store for table tennis World will be the World Team Table Tennis Championships! Reigning World team champions China, won the championships in 2010 defeating Germany in the final. Zhang Jike as seen in the picture below defeated Germany's Dimitrij Ovtcharov in the epic final two years ago which also saw Timo Boll defeat Ma Long in five games.

What will happen this time round, will China once again secure the Men's Team Title?

zhangjikewtttc2010.jpg

Zhang Jike recorded vital win in his first World Championship 2010 final - Photo by: Rémy Gros

So i'm sure everyone is looking forward to the World Team Table Tennis Championships 2012! Lets get things under way! Who have you voted in our WTTTC 2012 poll?

Men's Team Seedings

wtttc2010chinawinners.jpg

Chinese National Men's Team Champions of 2010 in Moscow - photo by: Xinhua/Tao Xiyi

Team and players

1 China - Ma Long, Zhang Jike, Wang Hao, Xu Xin, Ma Lin
2 Germany - Timo Boll, Dimitrij Ovtcharov, Bastian Steger, Patrick Baum and Christian Suss
3 Korea Republic
4 Japan
5 Russia
6 Austria
6 Hong Kong
8 Portugal
9 Singapore
10 Sweden
11 CROATIA
12 FRANCE - Simon Gauzy, Quentin Robinot, Tristan Flore, Emmanuel Lebesson, Romain Lorentz
13 CHINESE TAIPEI
14 BELARUS
15 CZECH REPUBLIC
16 GREECE
17 KOREA DPR
18 SPAIN
19 POLAND
20 DENMARK
21 SLOVAK REPUBLIC
22 HUNGARY
23 SERBIA
24 SLOVENIA

Full list of Men's teams here

There are three divisions in the Men's World Team Championships. Below are the full teams in their respective divisions thanks to the ittf.com

wtttc2012teams.jpg

Women's Team Seedings

wtttc2012singapore.jpg

Photo by Yuri Kadobnov / Agence France-Presse

In 2010 the Chinese National Women's team lost to Singapore in one of the biggest sporting upsets in table tennis history. The star of the show for Singapore was 23 year old Feng Tianwei, she beat both Ding Ning and Liu Shiwen as seen in the picture above. Singapore rewrote history books back in 2010, can the reigning champions defend their championship title? Below are the seeds for this years World Team Championships.

1 CHINA
2 SINGAPORE
3 JAPAN
4 HONG KONG
5 KOREA REPUBLIC
6 GERMANY
7 NETHERLANDS
8 ROMANIA
9 HUNGARY
10 CHINESE TAIPEI
11 RUSSIA
12 POLAND
13 SPAIN
14 CZECH REPUBLIC
15 BELARUS
16 TURKEY
17 UKRAINE
18 KOREA DPR
19 AUSTRIA
20 SERBIA
21 FRANCE
22 CROATIA
23 USA
24 SWEDEN

Full list of Women's teams here

There are three divisions in the Women's World Team Championships. Below are the full teams in their respective divisions thanks to the ittf.com

wtttc2012teams1.jpg

This is going to be a big tournament so lets get started by discussing the seeds. We can use this thread as a means to display all the latest results, videos and news from this spectacular event! What are your predictions from each event?

We will display the players representing each team once they have been announced on the ITTF page here
If anyone has any news on the players participating for their respective country please inform us :)

This user has no status.
Pretty sure China will make it again :) But hopefully Germany can make it into the final and then it will be such a great final like in Bremen 2006 ;)

I'm going to Dortmund an thursday where they play the round of last sixteen, so probably China, Germany, Korea and Japan wont play cause they have won their groups and have advanced to the quarterfinals but surely there will be some other great matches as well..

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2012
Germany needs to be very strong at that specific period/day. It depends a lot on Ovtcharov because he has shown that he can beat at least one chinese player (Wang Hao). Boll has taken no serious tests in playing a ProTourTournament, I think that could be a great disadvantage because he does not know where he's standing at the moment. So they will also need quite a lot of luck.
Korea and Japan are also strong, but I do not give them as much potential as I give to the germans.

says hAHAHAHA THANX MATE :D
says hAHAHAHA THANX MATE :D
Mar 2011
Good selection by Liu though a little disappointed that WLQ is not in the list. But I guess it's because he wasn't featured much lately and probably phasing him out. But in that case, Ma Lin shouldn't be in coz he didn't actually do well last year too. Maybe a more younger player can be bled into the team...

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2011
Good selection by Liu though a little disappointed that WLQ is not in the list. But I guess it's because he wasn't featured much lately and probably phasing him out. But in that case, Ma Lin shouldn't be in coz he didn't actually do well last year too. Maybe a more younger player can be bled into the team...

Ma Lin has always peaked in big tournaments (apart from Singles finals :p), I think Liu is hoping for him to bring that to the WTTC as well. He said that it is understandable at Ma Lin's age that he doesn't perform at his best every single Pro Tour like the younger players.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2011
Read 7 reviews
Germany needs to be very strong at that specific period/day. It depends a lot on Ovtcharov because he has shown that he can beat at least one chinese player (Wang Hao). Boll has taken no serious tests in playing a ProTourTournament, I think that could be a great disadvantage because he does not know where he's standing at the moment. So they will also need quite a lot of luck.
Korea and Japan are also strong, but I do not give them as much potential as I give to the germans.

Timo will have no chance against Zhang or Long..
And Ovtcharov will be able only to beat Wang Hao, but Wang Hao will be No. 3, so he will not get to play him..
Dima and Timo cannot beat Zhang or Long, so Germany has no chance..

Koreas Joo Se Hyuk can beat Zhang, we have seen it..
I bet that if they can put Ryu to play Wang Hao - he can beat him. They always play very good matches..
And if Ma Long gest first point for China.. Joo manages to beat Zhang.. And Ryu beats Wang Hao..
It will be 2:1 for Korea.. And you can never know what can happen, when China gets under pressure.. They are not used to it..

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2011
Timo will have no chance against Zhang or Long..
And Ovtcharov will be able only to beat Wang Hao, but Wang Hao will be No. 3, so he will not get to play him..
Dima and Timo cannot beat Zhang or Long, so Germany has no chance..

Koreas Joo Se Hyuk can beat Zhang, we have seen it..
I bet that if they can put Ryu to play Wang Hao - he can beat him. They always play very good matches..
And if Ma Long gest first point for China.. Joo manages to beat Zhang.. And Ryu beats Wang Hao..
It will be 2:1 for Korea.. And you can never know what can happen, when China gets under pressure.. They are not used to it..

Do they play doubles in the WTTC? Korea could make a point there too. And Dima could have a chance against ZJK, as in the World Cup where he had match points against him if I remember it correctly. He is always tough to beat. Timo peaks in big tournaments, his current form doesn't say much about how he will play. He played pretty crappy before the last Euro Champs as well, but he took it pretty convincing after all. Usually Zhang beats Timo, but if Ma Long is nervous Timo can beat him, like in Moscow. So there are definitely opportunities to take points from China for several countries. Looking forward to it :)

says after abitur i will train a lot ;)
says after abitur i will train a lot ;)
Mar 2011
i dont believe that timo is able to beat ma long again. Its two years ago, since the wttc and ma long improved his playing style
a lot. if you watch a recording of the of the match in 2010 and you compare ma longs playing style with today you will recognize, that his way of playing a bh for examplehas changed completly. But maybe, if timo is in good shape and ma long really, really nervous, he can beat him. Timos changes against zhang jike are not that good. wehn they met in 2011 he wasnt able to break zhangs defense. Z. blocked timos spinny topspins realy great and was able to attack on both sides. against wang hao he will have a good chance, because his level of playing decreased over the last few months. All the oher chinese players are, on my opinion, not that good, then the three one that i mentioned.
I hope dima is able toplay again on such a high level than on the world team cup or the world cup. But dimas performance over the last weeks, excluding the german championships, is increasing.
I dont believe that the other members of the german team have any big chancees against the top chinese

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2011
i dont believe that timo is able to beat ma long again. Its two years ago, since the wttc and ma long improved his playing style
a lot. if you watch a recording of the of the match in 2010 and you compare ma longs playing style with today you will recognize, that his way of playing a bh for examplehas changed completly. But maybe, if timo is in good shape and ma long really, really nervous, he can beat him. Timos changes against zhang jike are not that good. wehn they met in 2011 he wasnt able to break zhangs defense. Z. blocked timos spinny topspins realy great and was able to attack on both sides. against wang hao he will have a good chance, because his level of playing decreased over the last few months. All the oher chinese players are, on my opinion, not that good, then the three one that i mentioned.
I hope dima is able toplay again on such a high level than on the world team cup or the world cup. But dimas performance over the last weeks, excluding the german championships, is increasing.
I dont believe that the other members of the german team have any big chancees against the top chinese

I agree with u. Although I think Xu Xin is just as strong as Wang Hao, if not stronger. I don't expect Wang Hao to play if China meets Germany. But you never know :)