Butterfly Products, are they really worth the money you pay?

This user has no status.
At the start of my current season Sept 2011 the cost of Butterfly products soared in price to the point many local league players (Up to County level) went looking for cheaper but effective alternate products, even Tenergy users sort alternate rubbers. So are Butterfly pricing themselves out of the market for local league players who are not sponsored ?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2011
Not really. Think of it as the Apple of the table tennis world. It may not be the best product but it has the "fan"base to do what it likes with the price. In terms of it's capabilities, there's no doubt that they are good but nearly twice as good? I don't think so.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2011
Hi patchie, welcome to the site :)
The difference in price is not proportional to the difference in quality. So personally I think the extra money is not worth the extra quality. Many people value other brand rubbers similar or close to Tenergy's in terms of playing characteristics. You can find the main thread about Tenergy substitutes here. I believe most mentioned brands are DHS, Stiga, Xiom and Adidas.

Last edited:
says Check out my Podcast Talkin' Smash!
says Check out my Podcast Talkin' Smash!
Oct 2010
Read 12 reviews
Too highly priced in comparison to other brands. I think people get trapped into the trends and Butterfly have always endorsed so many top pro players in the past that they have had good control over the market. Everyone was obsessed with Sriver when it came out, then Bryce, now Tenergy. It's the whole branding which spreads like wildfire, everyone hears about the latest butterfly rubber, everyone has it so everyone else has to get it. For that reason it costs a tonne, and ain't worth it ;)

says http://www.cornilleau-competition.com/EN/index.html
Mar 2011
Read 8 reviews
Too highly priced in comparison to other brands. I think people get trapped into the trends and Butterfly have always endorsed so many top pro players in the past that they have had good control over the market. Everyone was obsessed with Sriver when it came out, then Bryce, now Tenergy. It's the whole branding which spreads like wildfire, everyone hears about the latest butterfly rubber, everyone has it so everyone else has to get it. For that reason it costs a tonne, and ain't worth it ;)

You know I can't agree with you Matt.. lol :p But I've still gotta say I love Tenergy, but I like my Hexer HD just as much :D

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I agree. Not worth it. I like their products. But, I like Stiga Blades better. I like blades that are all wood so, no matter how much I like blades like the Viscaria, (I have one and like it), the Innerforce ZLF (the Butterfly blade I like the most), I still like the feeling of many of the blades. I am happy with my Clipper. I also like the Ebenholz NCT V, the Rosewood NCT V, Allround NCT, Allround Oversize, Energy Wood, Tube Allround, Tube Offensive, Offensive Classic. I could go on. Blades like the Andro Temper Tech line are really great as well. And then there are a ton of good Hinoki blades that are great to play with.

I like Hurricane III Neo for my forehand and although I am using Tenergy on my backhand, when I have to buy a rubber for my backhand it will be Xiom Omega IV Pro. There are other rubbers I would be happy with as well. So, I personally feel that there is no need for Butterfly equipment. It is good. But it is usually not worth the price.

Mar 2011
Read 8 reviews
It mostly comes down to what level you're playing and competing on Carl... I agree with you at some points, that some brands have the same playing characteristics and such. But when it comes to high class level offensive rubbers, for people over a certain level, there are in my eyes very few options.

My list is:

Andro Hexer series

Butterfly Tenergy series

Stiga Calibra and Boost series

Butterfly Bryce series

Donic Coppa and Acuda series

And ofc you have the Chinese rubbers, but my list is only euro because that is what most top players in my country use.

That is at least my opinion :)