Hurricane 3 blue sponge vs skyline 3 blue sponge

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2012
Read 1 reviews
Hello people , i will get straight to the point :

1)First of all im gonna try both rubbers so i wanna ask a few questions about them ...So as we speak they have allready been boosted with dian chi , does any one know whats the difference of the blue sponge VS neo sponge and advantages / disadvantages?

2)I noticed that sky3 is lighter than h3 so that means that for the same stroke (lets say fast topspin over the table) , sky3 is faster than h3 but what about the spin?does anyone know which is spinnier?

3) Which works better in mid distance & short play when boosted with dian chi?

4) i play 10 hours per week , how long does these rubbers will last before their spin begins to fade significantly?

thanx in advance !

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2011
Are they National version rubbers or commercial version that you can get for example from ttnpp for ~$20?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2012
Read 1 reviews
Are they National version rubbers or commercial version that you can get for example from ttnpp for ~$20?

they are commercial ! can u send me a internet shop which sells national blue sponge ? i believe tha word "national" is purely marketing and it definetely doesnt worth it to pay 40 $ more for something that is only 5 % better...besides chinese pros order rubbers especially tuned for them so its no use to buy "national" rubber.
'

says how to start a thread?
Ok. I have not not own this rubbers. But i tried them before. Let's compare h3 neo Nat orange sponge and h3 neo national blue sponge, blue sponge tend to be slower and more spin and speed whereas for the orange spobgeis versi-versa. But if you are buying the $26USD special sponge 22# h3 or skyline neo commercial. Don't think about it, reviews have shown that it is even slower than commercial orange sponge ones and it would only be amazing if you use speed glue for the
22# sponge commercial version Hope you understand :x

says Just got my first racquet!
Ok. I have not not own this rubbers. But i tried them before. Let's compare h3 neo Nat orange sponge and h3 neo national blue sponge, blue sponge tend to be slower and more spin and speed whereas for the orange spobgeis versi-versa. But if you are buying the $26USD special sponge 22# h3 or skyline neo commercial. Don't think about it, reviews have shown that it is even slower than commercial orange sponge ones and it would only be amazing if you use speed glue for the
22# sponge commercial version Hope you understand :x

"slower and more spin and speed"

I'm sorry, but ... what?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2011
Ok, firstly. National versions of everything: prott.cc

Secondly, I have used Skyline 3 (TG3) Blue Sponge extensively and have had experience using Hurricane 3 (H3) Blue Sponge. The following experience is completely without boost. The TG3 is spinnier and better on the short to mid-table play as it has a softer sponge it has better feel and hence better touch. The H3 is noticeably faster and it is far better at away from the table looping "a la" the top Chinese guys.

Thirdly, the blue sponge versions are NOT slower than the orange sponge versions. They are most definitely faster albeit not very noticeable because like most Chinese rubbers the ball only moves as fast as you hit.

Lastly, both TG3 and H3 will last around 2-3 months of 10 hours a week play before completely "falling off the cliff" in terms of performance. Make sure you take good care of them and cover them when you're not playing. After they die, you can still use them for another month or so with speed glue. This is actually better than the orange sponge version which lasts a little less long.

Last edited:
says Hi, no thanks, I've found a place where I can get one...
says Hi, no thanks, I've found a place where I can get one...
Jan 2012
Pretty interesting. I'm considering right now to get the TG3 blue sponge commercial on TTNPP or a H3 neo BS provincial maybe a little cheaper than on prott... The problem is that the TG3 BS is 39° and softer (more like 37°/38°) than H3 neo orange sponge provincial also 39°. I am using the H3N right now in 39° with dianchi and I find it just a bit too soft when boosted. I think I might prefer the 40° hardness..

TTFrenzy: I think you're right about the pretty weak differences between Com, Prov and Nat. But I think you're mistaking about the CNT getting their H3N/TG3 already boosted. There is even a video where you can see Ma Lin and Wang LiQin using Haifu Oil ! But even if I didn't know this video, I'd still be convinced: I am sure that they either boost their sheets themselves or (most likely) have it done by a small staff at the CNT training center that prepare the rubbers with Dianchi, Haifu Oil or whatever it is (after all, what proof have we that they really use Dianchi ? excepting Prott trying to make a quick buck by saying the product is used by chinese top-players...? One thing is for certain: they DO boost, but with what) for the whole crew or at least for the 5 top-players, or just the ones who prefer having it done by a staff member instead of doing it themselves.

Reactions: matzreenzi
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2012
Hi

I have also played with Skyline 3 blue sponge and it is my favorite rubber, but I got bubbles on the topsheet of 3 of my rubbers so I have to stop using them. I boost my rubbers, and think it is a little strange that the durability of the topsheet is so bad, I assume that the blue sponge is created for speedgluing and yet the topsheet breaks down. I have played with all the commercial Hurricanes and skylines and I think the blue sponge are softer, faster, more elastic and lighter. Well I don´t know if its the topsheet or the gluing of the topsheet, but if I boost the H3 yellow sponge it never happens maybe the topsheet on blue sponge don´t stick togheter with the sponge when they glue it togheter with the topsheet.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2011
Read 4 reviews
TTFrenzy I thought I'd add my point of view here.

When we talk about "National" version Blue Sponge it is the highest quality controlled rubber that DHS provides and it is given to the Chinese National Team. The next highest quality rubbers are given to the Provincial teams and then the rest are sold commercially.

Basically speaking all rubbers are made in facilities located in Germany, Japan, Korea or China. It doesn't matter what brand it is they are usually made in one of these manufacturing facilities. This means that the topsheets are typically comprised of the same rubbers, but the pips structures and sponges are made with different processes to provide the different feeling.

All rubber is created from a very large sheet. I'm talking (and I don't know what the actual measurements are, but you will understand the concept from this example) about as large as a TT Table so let's say 9x5 feet. The center of these rubbers have the highest quality control because they are the least likely to ripple or become different than the further out you go (Think pie crust when you roll it the center is always perfect but the further out you go it is usually worse) Each rubber is cut and then stamped with the different names and then tuned if necessary. The different degrees of hardness I believe depend on the entire sheet's degree of hardness, but typically the center is always the hardest and the further out you go the less hard it is. That is why commercial rubbers are always a little different from each other.

National versions are made to a player's specifications. Usually this means they are very hard and then the player will boost it to provide the proper softness feeling they prefer whether 42 degree like Wang Liqin and Ma Long or 40 degree like say Zhang Ji Ke or Xu Xin. Provincial players will usually ask for 38 degree or 39 degree which is why they are much more common. This also means they will be boosting a bit less because it is already softer than the more CNT preferred 40 + degrees. I think it is safe to say that Provincial players just don't hit as hard as the CNT players do which is why they are not in the CNT.

So to answer your questions I would have to say that blue sponge typically has more catapult than the orange sponge. The Neo sponge is pretuned which makes it different than the Blue sponge but the topsheets are the same.

And as for your other questions because you're using Commercial it is hard to tell because they are not perfect examples of what the rubbers are supposed to be like.

here's a thread that I posted about what the rubbers are supposed to be like.

http://www.tabletennisdaily.co.uk/f...y-National-H3-and-Skyline-3-Blue-Sponge/page2

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2011
Read 4 reviews
I buy mine from pros that I know. It is true that it's very hard to get provincial and national rubbers. Because they're made exclusively for provincial and cnt players. Only the players will sell the rubber either back to DHS or to another dealer. Some DHS connections can also be made if you know the right people.

It's available, but in limited quantity.