PDA

View Full Version : Differences between Giant Dragon Talon & Special & National?

merlin el mago
12-03-2020, 04:30 PM
What are the differences between Giant Dragon Talon & Special & National Team?

TIA
Felipe

PushSmasher
12-03-2020, 08:47 PM
One thing that is different is that National Team is no longer available... [emoji23]

I don’t think that the National Team has ever been on the list of approved rubbers.

merlin el mago
12-04-2020, 01:52 PM
Yes it's on LARC ITTF 30-012

PushSmasher
12-04-2020, 02:07 PM
Yes it's on LARC ITTF 30-012

That is the Dragon Talon, not the ‘National Team’ version of Dragon Talon.

If someone didn’t care whether or not it was on the approved list, when you install it on your blade, the ‘National Team’ marking actually gets cut off if you have it a little off center to the left. So in reality know one would know if it is the standard Grand Talon, or the ‘National Team’ version you are using.

They may have stopped making it because it wouldn’t pass their (ITTF) test, as it is too close to frictionless, but that’s just speculation.

Regarding the difference between the 2, I don’t personally know as I’ve only played with the National Team, but there was a lot of discussion before on OOAK comparing the 2, with photos showing the differences in the pips etc. I play at the same club as ‘Pushblocker’, and it is by far his preferred rubber for his style of game.

Here is a link to part of the discussion:

https://ooakforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=28370&p=303903

merlin el mago
12-05-2020, 09:20 AM
NT it's autorized rubber.

BTW I read Special is faster than the others two & NT is slower than Talon.

PushSmasher
12-05-2020, 03:42 PM
NT it's autorized rubber.

BTW I read Special is faster than the others two & NT is slower than Talon.

Here is a pic of a blade I have with National Team on it. As you can see, it is stamped with the same number (30-012) as the regular Dragon Talon. But as shown in the comparison photos on OOAK, they are 2 very different rubbers.

If I were guessing, and this is pure speculation, I could see the ITTF telling them that they had to remove the approved stamp from the National Team version, or stop selling it as an approved rubber where it may have only been the regular Dragon Talon that was tested and approved. Where they are visibly different rubbers, it doesn’t make sense that they could use the same approval number. That might be why it is no longer available.

For whatever reason, they are no longer selling it.

merlin el mago
12-05-2020, 07:57 PM
I also own NT, it's authorized. Look for economical reason about GD not for not authorized rubber.

PushSmasher
12-05-2020, 08:10 PM
I also own NT, it's authorized. Look for economical reason about GD not for not authorized rubber.

How can it be authorized if it is a completely different rubber using the same number?

Kuba Hajto
12-05-2020, 08:26 PM
How can it be authorized if it is a completely different rubber using the same number?

Does it have the same ITTF number?

PushSmasher
12-05-2020, 08:51 PM
Does it have the same ITTF number?

Yes, it does.

Kuba Hajto
12-05-2020, 09:20 PM
Yes, it does.

If the number is the same, and it is on the larc, then I doubt anyone will challenge legality of this.

PushSmasher
12-05-2020, 09:41 PM
If the number is the same, and it is on the larc, then I doubt anyone will challenge legality of this.

I agree no one will challenge it.

merlin el mago
12-06-2020, 11:47 AM
I agree no one will challenge it.

:cool::):rolleyes:

PushSmasher
12-06-2020, 12:51 PM

I agree no one will challenge it, because it looks official with a number on the rubber. It is not however listed on the larc... that is why I do not believe it was ever approved, only the standard version.

It doesn’t really matter since you can’t buy it anymore anyway... [emoji23]

merlin el mago
12-06-2020, 02:18 PM
It's listed on the LARC:mad:

PushSmasher
12-06-2020, 02:26 PM
It's listed on the LARC:mad:

I don’t see anywhere listed on the larc 2020a list the “National Team” version. I only see the standard version. If it is on there, I stand corrected...

brokenball
12-06-2020, 03:48 PM
I have two Firewall+ with GD Talon 0X. They have the same number 30-12.
I think the other versions are a con to charge more money.
At best they are all supposed to be the same but aren't due to poor quality control so the batch that is a little harder will have a little less friction and so they charge more.
It is obvious that the rubbers are made from the same mold.

PushSmasher
12-06-2020, 04:00 PM
=It is obvious that the rubbers are made from the same mold.

The link below actually talks about them using a new mold...

https://ooakforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=28370&sid=a22534b58c35b71c419f086a55f865b0&start=15

merlin el mago
12-07-2020, 10:16 AM
I don’t see anywhere listed on the larc 2020a list the “National Team” version. I only see the standard version. If it is on there, I stand corrected...

Not, you don't stand correct, the rubber has the ITTF LARC authorized number, all the other reasons are supposed for you & if you argue what's said in other forums for me isn't enough. You are really confused...

PushSmasher
12-07-2020, 11:02 AM
Not, you don't stand correct, the rubber has the ITTF LARC authorized number, all the other reasons are supposed for you & if you argue what's said in other forums for me isn't enough. You are really confused...

Show me the “National Team” version in the larc list.

The only reason I referenced the other forum was because they have actual photos of the two different rubbers so that you can look and see for yourself.

merlin el mago
12-07-2020, 01:41 PM
NT rubbers are authorized because the LARC number is OK. BTW left to post OT thanks.

PushSmasher
12-07-2020, 02:31 PM
NT rubbers are authorized because the LARC number is OK. BTW left to post OT thanks.

They are not on the larc.

Let’s be honest, there are a lot of counterfeit rubbers and bats out there. Having a number on the rubber by itself doesn’t mean a whole lot if it’s not on the official approved list...

brokenball
12-07-2020, 02:46 PM
The link below actually talks about them using a new mold...

https://ooakforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=28370&sid=a22534b58c35b71c419f086a55f865b0&start=15
My GD Talon looks like PushSmasher's except mine are red. PushSmasher claimed his was National Team but I don't see any thing that says so. There are no extra characters like PushBlocker claims there are.

PushSmasher
12-07-2020, 10:59 PM
My GD Talon looks like PushSmasher's except mine are red. PushSmasher claimed his was National Team but I don't see any thing that says so. There are no extra characters like PushBlocker claims there are.

Like I said in an earlier post on this thread, the 'National Team' usually gets cut off as it is on the far left. Enlarge the pic I posted and you will see the last letter ('L') for the word 'National' is still there.

Let me know if I need to provide the purchase receipt for the rubber, where it was purchased, and perhaps the batch number... :-D Sorry for the sarcasm but it sounds like you are questioning if I even have the National Team version on my blade...