Differences between Giant Dragon Talon & Special & National?

This user has no status.

Yes it's on LARC ITTF 30-012

That is the Dragon Talon, not the ‘National Team’ version of Dragon Talon.

If someone didn’t care whether or not it was on the approved list, when you install it on your blade, the ‘National Team’ marking actually gets cut off if you have it a little off center to the left. So in reality know one would know if it is the standard Grand Talon, or the ‘National Team’ version you are using.

They may have stopped making it because it wouldn’t pass their (ITTF) test, as it is too close to frictionless, but that’s just speculation.

Regarding the difference between the 2, I don’t personally know as I’ve only played with the National Team, but there was a lot of discussion before on OOAK comparing the 2, with photos showing the differences in the pips etc. I play at the same club as ‘Pushblocker’, and it is by far his preferred rubber for his style of game.

Here is a link to part of the discussion:

https://ooakforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=28370&p=303903

Last edited:
This user has no status.
NT it's autorized rubber.

BTW I read Special is faster than the others two & NT is slower than Talon.

Here is a pic of a blade I have with National Team on it. As you can see, it is stamped with the same number (30-012) as the regular Dragon Talon. But as shown in the comparison photos on OOAK, they are 2 very different rubbers.

If I were guessing, and this is pure speculation, I could see the ITTF telling them that they had to remove the approved stamp from the National Team version, or stop selling it as an approved rubber where it may have only been the regular Dragon Talon that was tested and approved. Where they are visibly different rubbers, it doesn’t make sense that they could use the same approval number. That might be why it is no longer available.

For whatever reason, they are no longer selling it.

IMG_9666.jpg

This user has no status.

If the number is the same, and it is on the larc, then I doubt anyone will challenge legality of this.

I agree no one will challenge it, because it looks official with a number on the rubber. It is not however listed on the larc... that is why I do not believe it was ever approved, only the standard version.

It doesn’t really matter since you can’t buy it anymore anyway... [emoji23]

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
I have two Firewall+ with GD Talon 0X. They have the same number 30-12.
I think the other versions are a con to charge more money.
At best they are all supposed to be the same but aren't due to poor quality control so the batch that is a little harder will have a little less friction and so they charge more.
It is obvious that the rubbers are made from the same mold.

This user has no status.
Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2019
I don’t see anywhere listed on the larc 2020a list the “National Team” version. I only see the standard version. If it is on there, I stand corrected...

Not, you don't stand correct, the rubber has the ITTF LARC authorized number, all the other reasons are supposed for you & if you argue what's said in other forums for me isn't enough. You are really confused...

This user has no status.

Not, you don't stand correct, the rubber has the ITTF LARC authorized number, all the other reasons are supposed for you & if you argue what's said in other forums for me isn't enough. You are really confused...

Show me the “National Team” version in the larc list.

The only reason I referenced the other forum was because they have actual photos of the two different rubbers so that you can look and see for yourself.

Last edited: