Apolonia v Innerforce Layer Alc

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2019
Hi Guys. Just some feedback I have been using Apolonia for over a year and love it but bought IFL ALC about 4-5 weeks ago to try out. I have same set up on both blades Dignics 09C fh and Dignics 80 Bh. I’m not enjoying the IFLALC but it’s mainly down to speed. Control is fantastic but just doesnt have the same zip as my Apolonia and it’s more evident on Bh as it’s shorter stroke.
My Apolonia is 91g where as IFLALC is 85g. Question is the speed difference mainly down to the weight. I know Apolonia is supposed to be a tad faster but in this case speed difference seems quite significant and very noticeable.

Ideally I would have like a IFLALC about 90g to really compare.

Is weight difference of 6g a huge factor in the speed difference being experienced?

says MIA
says MIA
Nov 2016
Hi Guys. Just some feedback I have been using Apolonia for over a year and love it but bought IFL ALC about 4-5 weeks ago to try out. I have same set up on both blades Dignics 09C fh and Dignics 80 Bh. I’m not enjoying the IFLALC but it’s mainly down to speed. Control is fantastic but just doesnt have the same zip as my Apolonia and it’s more evident on Bh as it’s shorter stroke.
My Apolonia is 91g where as IFLALC is 85g. Question is the speed difference mainly down to the weight. I know Apolonia is supposed to be a tad faster but in this case speed difference seems quite significant and very noticeable.

Ideally I would have like a IFLALC about 90g to really compare.

Is weight difference of 6g a huge factor in the speed difference being experienced?

Like you said the Apolonia (IFL ZLC clone) is more crisp and fast than the IFL ALC (I especially like ZLC on my BH). The extra weight on top of that will be responsible for some extra hardness and speed. You would notice that if you also had a 85g Apolonia for comparison.

So if you like the added feeling of the thicker IFL ALC with more wood cushioning and the more flexible carbon ALC, but would like a bit more speed than the one you have, a heavier IFL ALC or Harimoto ALC (same but with slightly larger head) should indeed do the trick.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2019
Sorry I think my question is misunderstood. I love the speed of my Apolonia and love how it plays. The IFLALC is significantly slower which I didn’t expect. Would this difference in speed be largely down to fact the IFL ALC i have is 85g compared to my Apolonia 91g.

I’m just very disappointed with the speed of it.

says MIA
says MIA
Nov 2016
Sorry I think my question is misunderstood. I love the speed of my Apolonia and love how it plays. The IFLALC is significantly slower which I didn’t expect. Would this difference in speed be largely down to fact the IFL ALC i have is 85g compared to my Apolonia 91g.

I’m just very disappointed with the speed of it.

Yea, like I tried to explain, the weight/density of the blade is a large fact. A 90+g IFL ALC will be significantly more reactive and therefore faster. Not as fast as the Apolonia, but still.

says MIA
says MIA
Nov 2016
The other thing I have noticed other than speed is that the IFLALC has slightly higher arc in comparison to apolonia. Apolonia is a bit more linear from what I have noticed. Is this correct?

You are correct. This is the main characteristic that distinguishes ALC (more flexible, higher throw) from ZLC (more crisp, more linear).

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2019
Yea, like I tried to explain, the weight/density of the blade is a large fact. A 90+g IFL ALC will be significantly more reactive and therefore faster. Not as fast as the Apolonia, but still.

My thoughts and understanding as well just wanted clarification. Thanks buddy.
Just gutted it doesn’t really give me a like for like comparison due to the weight and significant speed difference as a result.

I am in 2 minds of whether to sell or keep for a bad day where something slower will be beneficial.

says MIA
says MIA
Nov 2016
My thoughts and understanding as well just wanted clarification. Thanks buddy.
Just gutted it doesn’t really give me a like for like comparison due to the weight and significant speed difference as a result.

I am in 2 minds of whether to sell or keep for a bad day where something slower will be beneficial.

You could sell it then reinvest the money in a new or used IFL ALC that's 90 some grams.

In France/Europe it retails new for 150€, and I've seen many used ones in good condition sell from 95€ to 110€ (so around 2/3rd of its retail price). I bought mine used for 95€.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2019
You could sell it then reinvest the money in a new or used IFL ALC that's 90 some grams.

In France/Europe it retails new for 150€, and I've seen many used ones in good condition sell from 95€ to 110€ (so around 2/3rd of its retail price). I bought mine used for 95€.

Yes am selling it. And ideally would like my second blade to be similar weight to main blade.

But alternatively thinking do I need a different blade if I like Apolonia so much anyway.

So yes I could get a IFLALC 90g or mayb get another Apolonia similar weight one for training another for matches.

Or Mayb not mess about at all keep one blade and just keep training my ass off!! ????

says MIA
says MIA
Nov 2016
Yes am selling it. And ideally would like my second blade to be similar weight to main blade.

But alternatively thinking do I need a different blade if I like Apolonia so much anyway.

So yes I could get a IFLALC 90g or mayb get another Apolonia similar weight one for training another for matches.

Or Mayb not mess about at all keep one blade and just keep training my ass off!! ????

If you like your Apolonia so much, yea stick to it and don't worry about equipment, focus on training and finding new ways to improve!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2018
Last week I had chance to try and compare Apolonia with Rhyzer 43/45 and IF ALC with PK-50. In my books the IF ALC is a winner by all means. Well it might have been the rubber but I hardly belive so. Apolonia isn't that fast after all and it felt heavy

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2019
If you like your Apolonia so much, yea stick to it and don't worry about equipment, focus on training and finding new ways to improve!

Have been. Even during uk lockdown having access to a table has helped a lot. But thought no league matches on so try out equipment without hindering training too much. It was in September I tried out Dignics 09C on fh and love it.