Tacky Chinese Rubber on the Backhand?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2019
I've been exclusively using cheap, tacky Chinese rubbers on the forehand because I'm a poor student who doesn't want to blow $50++ on a rubber every 3 months. Today at a practise session I flipped my racket just for fun to play pips on the forehand and inverted on the backhand. Surprisingly I've still got the feel for it even after 2 years out of practise with this style.

Anyway I'm asking if there's anyone out there who uses tacky Chinese rubber on the backhand, because I've heard that everyone uses smooth Japanese or European rubbers on the backhand exclusively. Is there any reason why? If it helps, I play a pretty wristy backhand, preferring to brush the ball a little over hitting it outright.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2018
I've been exclusively using cheap, tacky Chinese rubbers on the forehand because I'm a poor student who doesn't want to blow $50++ on a rubber every 3 months. Today at a practise session I flipped my racket just for fun to play pips on the forehand and inverted on the backhand. Surprisingly I've still got the feel for it even after 2 years out of practise with this style.

Anyway I'm asking if there's anyone out there who uses tacky Chinese rubber on the backhand, because I've heard that everyone uses smooth Japanese or European rubbers on the backhand exclusively. Is there any reason why? If it helps, I play a pretty wristy backhand, preferring to brush the ball a little over hitting it outright.

Cheap Chinese rubbers on BH are fine if they are not rock hard and you boost them a lot. H3 37 deg or mercury 2 medium work well but you will need to drive the ball more than with Euro rubbers. Good luck!

says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
Jan 2018
Anyway I'm asking if there's anyone out there who uses tacky Chinese rubber on the backhand, because I've heard that everyone uses smooth Japanese or European rubbers on the backhand exclusively.
WLQ: Hold my RED H3 from 2013.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
You must try the DHS rubber(Hurricane 3 Neo commercial 37 degree/2.15 mm.). I've put on my BH with Viscaria blade and love it. This is tacky Chinese rubber with speed and spin for BH side(2 layers of booster will give you more speed and spin).
132177740_3537216153065834_6328964884930998296_n.jpg132309528_2527620884205089_3323071549436474817_n.jpg

Attachments

• 133861700_396046771452646_4253009450077403939_n.jpg
    133861700_396046771452646_4253009450077403939_n.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 1,907
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2020
I am using h3 neo 37 dwgrees now both sides on a yinhe pd 437. I love it!

Gosh. You’re so contradictory yogi :cool: In one thread you say tacky backhand is problematic, in another you say you love it! How is it compared to Rakza Z?

Anybody tried that H3-50 thing? What is it?

Gosh. You’re so contradictory yogi :cool: In one thread you say tacky backhand is problematic, in another you say you love it! How is it compared to Rakza Z?

Yup i did but on the premise that you are using a very sticky bh rubber and with a hard sponge plus of course players who are still developing your strokes. I do emphasize that you need to have an active wrist movement and brush contact if you will use chinese rubbers for the bh. A lot of intermediate level players lack that.

says toooooo much choice!!
Jul 2020
Read 11 reviews
Yup i did but on the premise that you are using a very sticky bh rubber and with a hard sponge plus of course players who are still developing your strokes. I do emphasize that you need to have an active wrist movement and brush contact if you will use chinese rubbers for the bh. A lot of intermediate level players lack that.

i played both TT and badminton when younger, kept playing badminton for much longer, badminton is very wristy, so I have a fairly powerful wrist which definitely helps!!!

Have you boosted the H3 37 ??

Yes 3 layers of seamoon. It still is not as fast as newer esn rubbers but fast enough.

Reactions: IB66 and Tango K
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2020
How is the throw? You guys make me tempting to try. This boosting is addictive and it’s certainly a lot easier to boost a Chinese rubber :cool: I think I should quit ttd.

How was your last section IB66? I thought I was luckier than you until they had yet another emergency announcement just 2 days later......

Reactions: IB66
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2020
TBH I was leaning toward higher throw rubber on backhand (G1 was my best). But probably the lower throw Rakza Z has helped me more these days, forcing me to spin the ball like hell and once you’re accustomed to it, it becomes your advantage. The ball is always relatively flat and still kicks like hell. My partners are having a harder time to guess the spin. So maybe I shouldn’t worry about throw that much.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2019
I play H3N both sides. The tackiness makes it easier to do thinly close to the net flips. It's slower, true, but not much. However, it gives you options to use either spin or speed to overcome ambiguous incoming balls. I also find G1 equally good in gripping balls and a little faster too. With T05 or D05, you have to hit into the rubber a little bit to get a sufficient grip.

Reactions: Tango K
H3 is good on the backhand if you naturally play a very closed angle shot. (Almost like an over the table bh flick, even from behind the table).

I don't even boost mine, just the factory tuning on the H3 neo. Works fine for me since I don't really have any instinct to play an open blade angle shot on my backhand unless I literally have no time but to put the bat in the way of the ball from pure reflex.

I do use a softer H3 neo than on my forehand though. I imagine it would feel very slow if you play any sort of active block/push/smash on the bh though.

Last edited:
Jul 2020
Read 11 reviews
How is the throw? You guys make me tempting to try. This boosting is addictive and it’s certainly a lot easier to boost a Chinese rubber :cool: I think I should quit ttd.

How was your last section IB66? I thought I was luckier than you until they had yet another emergency announcement just 2 days later......

Last training session was good, I was paired with a higher level player, who hasn’t played much for obvious reasons!!! So he was a little rusty!!

Did some good routines involving match serves and 3rd ball attack strategies, serving and what type of serve so the opponent puts the return somewhere where you want the ball to suit your strengths and tactics. And how the receiver can tackle those serves to put the ball where you don’t want it !! DOH !!!;)

Also, started the basic FH reverse pendulum serve training with my partner, who asked how I had learnt it ( I say that loosely as I’m still working on the consistency and variation of that serve) It’s a difficult one to learn!!
He picked up the basic action but could only put side topspin on the ball. He wanted the option of a FH right side spin serve (other than a tomahawk type serve) to add to his serves.
He’s just built a TT practice shed so I’m expecting him to be practicing this serve, the next time we play (who knows when ??!!) I bet he’s improved the serve dramatically !!

if you haven’t given H3 Neo 37 deg a go, and you like Chinese rubbers then you really should, boost with 2 or 3 layers Seamoon, I used 2, Yogi 3, it really felt softer than the unboosted I tried for comparison, and was faster, spinny as heck!! Such good control on short game.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2020
Glad to hear you got the most out of that day. I really do hope I’ll have the chance to try out soon. Seem they’re not gonna ease the lockdown anytime soon.

Reactions: IB66
Jul 2020
Read 11 reviews
Glad to hear you got the most out of that day. I really do hope I’ll have the chance to try out soon. Seem they’re not gonna ease the lockdown anytime soon.

No, it’s grim to say the least, 41000+ new cases today.
My partners been self isolating for 12 days, a couple of cases where she works, so they closed the nursery, she was tested 2 days later, came back negative, but still had to isolate for 10 days from the test date. Which meant she went out today!!
I didn’t have to self isolate because I hadn’t been in DIRECT contact with person with a positive test result.
NHS App seemed to work, we both have it, hers said isolate mine didn’t , same address etc.
Hopefully they’ll role out the vaccines pronto and start to relax the tier levels. Although I read somewhere that at least 60% or so of population needs to be vaccinated before ‘herd immunity’ kicks in, which could be July!!!