Long pip rubber for my backhand

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2020
Hi everyone, I wanted to ask for some advice from you guys as to what long pimple rubber I should change my backhand to. My current backhand rubber (friendship 837) doesn't suit the type of lp player I want to become and it has also lost a lot of its pips.

I've been playing friendship 837 with 1mm sponge for 2 years now (on and off) and it has been my first long pimple experience. I find that it doesn't fit my current play style of my backhand.

I am a very aggressive forehand player and I always try to focus on my attack with my forehand. My backhand has developed into more placing balls smartly and blocking attacks from the opposition. I never chop with my backhand but I am not very aggressive (mainly just counterattack and blocking). Here are some points for reference.

- I never chop with my backhand long pimples.
- I play more blocking and deflecting the ball, but I also try to attack and counterattack but my rubber isn't that good for counter attacking.
- I'm looking for good control so I can smartly and accurately counterattack (less power and more placement) and also be able to easily place the ball in awkward positions when they serve and push (more control with good spin effect)
- I don't have that much of a budget, so I'd prefer under 20AUD (15-17~USD)

I also have a few other questions regarding long pimples. Should I be using ox for my blocking, semi-aggressive game? It seems to fit what my play style is, but many people also say sponge is good for my play style. ( I want more control for my counterattacks and more effective blocks and tricky ball placements). Also, should I take into consideration my blade? It is very light, so does that mean I need to compensate with my backhand with sponge/no sponge? Keep in mind that I have been playing long pimples for quite some time, so I don't really want an 'easy to learn but not effective competitively' rubber.

Thanks in advance everyone.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2020
Have you considered medium pips for more options to go offensive on the backhand? 563 is affordable and is among the ones I liked. The other is the Nittaku Pimplemini which is darned fun to play with but take a bit more stamina to attack with. Both at 2mm sponge.

Last edited:
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
You could always use pips on bh, start a blog, and post every week what different blade you used.

Just get a cheapo Chinese ox lp and have at it. Spending 10 usd for one rubber once every two years will not cost you the equivalent of months of labor

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

says toooooo much choice!!
says toooooo much choice!!
Jul 2020
Read 11 reviews
Have you considered medium pips for more options to go offensive on the backhand? 563 is affordable and is among the ones I liked. The other is the Nittaku Pimplemini which is darned fun to play with but take a bit more stamina to attack with. Both at 2mm sponge.

Hi,

Can you tell me some more about the pimplemini please.
I bought a sheet, just to try a pips out rubber, found I could use FH loop stroke, without really feeling that I changed my stroke ( but that’s how I felt, not necessarily what I actually did!!!) BH was okay as well, chopping was ok etc, only used it with a robot.
What I really want to know is what’s it like to play against !!! ;);)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2020
You could always use pips on bh, start a blog, and post every week what different blade you used.

Just get a cheapo Chinese ox lp and have at it. Spending 10 usd for one rubber once every two years will not cost you the equivalent of months of labor

I was thinking of getting friendship 755 ox or globe 979 ox. Do you think any of these doesn't or does fit my play style of counter-attack/blocking? Which of these do you think are more effective for what I want to play my long pips for? Should I also consider the balance of my racket? (my blade is very light and ox rubber is also slow)

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Hi Mark,

Right now, I would say get whatever inexpensive ox lp is available and have a go at it.

There are so many ways to use lp in ox. One way is to just have loose grip and take ball off the bounce. That often makes ball not rebound as much and you might get a fh chance next ball.

You might firm up a little more and take it on rise to land it deep and use fh next ball.

You might just do a bump back with open face to look like underpin and get back high ball on bh to lower arm snap it with lp.

So many ways and one inexpensive lp is not gunna be more advantageous than the other right now. That comes later when your touch is more refined.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2020
A friend in club is using LP OX on the BH. He's tried many rubbers, I even bought some for him on Ali (it's very cheap), because he's doing weird experiments with it. He has settled on Tibhar Grass D.TecS and Giant Dragon Talon (Special if I'm not mistaken) recently. He is very particular about the blade and tries to find as slow as possible blade. He's been playing with Donic Defplay, but he has a bit of a temper, so the wood got injured :). Then he tried Stiga Defensive Classic which he absolutely didn't like, too fast. Now it is Dr. Neubauer Grand Master+, which he likes, even though he says it is not that slow. Basically he wants to eliminate top-spins, even when fast. Slower top-spin is not a problem for him. A plain rotation-less ball on BH is worse than heavy rotation for him. Paradoxically, he has the fastest "hand" in club. When he gets to FH drive or smash, it's fatal (using Donic Akkadi Taichi for years). I'd like to use the occasion and ask you for the slowest DEF blade you know. Apologies if inappropriate, I didn't want to start a new thread for this.

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
No one bit on the bait I threw out there about changing blade every week. I see so many LP players mess around switcthing up the blade to find the perfect one, htey do that with rubbers.

If TTers think inverted players are EJs, they out to look at their LP friends' TT spending records. :D

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2020
I can tell you once I got more used to pimplemini, my rating probably shot up 500+ due to the dark side conversion. I used it more in an offensive manner ala He ZhuoJia or Fukuhara Ai but found out I had too little stamina to keep playing in that manner even though it was probably at the highest level I've played. Getting old sucks.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
755 0X is cheap and a good place to start. It is good for aggressive blocking and hitting when the opportunity arises. The only difficulty is applying it to the blade since the base rubber the pips are attached to is so thin. 755 0X is also a little small so make sure it will cover the head of your blade if it is has a big head.

Learn to twiddle. It will take opponents by surprise.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2020
755 0X is cheap and a good place to start. It is good for aggressive blocking and hitting when the opportunity arises. The only difficulty is applying it to the blade since the base rubber the pips are attached to is so thin. 755 0X is also a little small so make sure it will cover the head of your blade if it is has a big head.

Learn to twiddle. It will take opponents by surprise.

Hi brokenball,

I've read about 755 but I've heard that it is more suited towards new lp users and its reversal effects aren't very good at higher levels of play. I've been playing lp for roughly 2 years so strokes and game theory isn't an issue for me to learn with a new rubber. Do you have any similar rubbers to 755 ox that has a more effective block/counter-attack that can be used at more advanced levels?