thoughts on Fastarc G1

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2011
Hi everyone.

What makes Fastarc G1 such a popular rubber? Is it the relatively hard topsheet? the throw angle? or the sponge? What do you think.

Recently I have re-visited Fastarc G1 on my forehand, and it just feels very solid on the forehand side. The high throw angle takes a bit of getting used to, but counter looping somehow feels effortless with it.

Does it also make a decent backhand rubber? I am tempted to use it on backhand as well. Tried it on my BH a couple of times, but havent tried it long enough to be able to tell.

It just surprises me that an older rubber like this is stacking up so well in 2020. What have been your experiences with G1?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2020
I used G1 backhand and loved it. It’s easy to spin and its high arc makes it very safe on backhand for me.

Also it keeps its feeling longer than mx-p that i tried before.

I liked MXP on my backhand a lot. Fastarc suits my FH more than MXP did, g1 feels more solid. It could be the top sheet. MXP has a lot of spring.
Yes, mxp is a lot faster though some players will like G1's control and spin.

Reactions: Tango K
says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
Jan 2018
It just surprises me that an older rubber like this is stacking up so well in 2020.
Tenergy: Hold my beer from 2008!
H3 Neo: Ahem from 2009!

For ESN grippy rubbers, the last big advancement was in 2012. That's it. They ran out of ideas/steam and the market has been saturated since 2014/2015. All relatively recent models have been rehashes and cash grabs. Their profit margin has declined so much it is back to pre-2012 level. They wouldn't have moved on to tacky rubbers, otherwise. Tibhar, for a European brand, was rather brave for embracing the Chinese market early.

Reactions: lasta
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2019
Read 4 reviews
Tenergy: Hold my beer from 2008!
H3 Neo: Ahem from 2009!

For ESN grippy rubbers, the last big advancement was in 2012. That's it. They ran out of ideas/steam and the market has been saturated since 2014/2015. All relatively recent models have been rehashes and cash grabs. Their profit margin has declined so much it is back to pre-2012 level. They wouldn't have moved on to tacky rubbers, otherwise. Tibhar, for a European brand, was rather brave for embracing the Chinese market early.

Wasn't changing ratio between topsheet and sponge thickness an innovation of sorts?

says The sticky bit is stuck.
Jan 2017
Read 8 reviews
Just my €0,02. I’ve settled on G-1 on the BH, at 1.8mm.

Its firmnesss gives me confidence in service reception. When opening up or counterspinning, the shot quality I get is high. The spin generated often surprises my opponents.

My game is not just spin. I like to step in and flat hit - counter, punch, kill a backspin ball that pops up.

No other rubber has that balance of confidence in the touch game, pressure in spin play and reliability in direct powerplay for me.

Close, and great in their own right: Gewo Nanoflex FT-48 (not quite the firm touch, though), and Tenergy 80 (quite similar but less predictable).

It’s a keeper. On the FH, a softer topsheet sometimes felt advantagious; I really like R53, but the cruelty of aging makes me reconsider my playstyle, and G-1 is my next stop there too.

Reactions: SamTheMan
This user has no status.
G-1 is excellent on the forehand. It isn't so spinny for ESN but much more accessible spin than Chinese.
I tried forehand and backhand going from MX-P.
I had to put mxp back on the BH.

It was very spin insensitive so amazing for blocks and smashes. It so does well with loops when you drive into the ball a bit, but I found it difficult to get a very fine brush going due to topsheet hardness and lack of tack together.

I think it would be very good for a newer player on both sides because it is much more forgiving on most shots than its competitors but can play everything when you are used to it.

Jan 2017
Read 8 reviews
True. Yet for me, a slightly toned down T05 is a better T05. That’s not a matter of price at all.

I don’t know at which level that tradeoff becomes a positive one, but am fairly certain it’s a rather high one. Ito Mima, iirc, uses G-1 on her FH, and I don’t think it lacks the pressure needed for her game. In fact, I think I recognize the advantages G-1 has in direct play in her game.

Jan 2018
Since we're talking about "old" rubbers, I thought some might find the following interesting. Baracuda and Baracuda Big Slam have recently been re-released in Japan because many comments from overseas say it's compatible with the ABS ball.

https://world-tt.com/renew/archives/1221
 一時、日本では廃番となっていたスピン系テンション裏ソフト『バラクーダ』が復活。最初に日本で発売されたのは今から10年ほど前。当時はヒットには至らなかったが、現在主流の硬めの材質のプラスチックボールとの相性が良いと海外で再評価されていることで日本でも再発売が決定。硬めのトップシート&スポンジで、高い回転性能を発揮する。スポンジ硬度47.5度の『バラクーダ』のほか、43.5度のミッドソフトスポンジを搭載した『バラクーダ ビッグスラム』も同時に再登場。
"Barracuda", a spin-type tension back software that was temporarily discontinued in Japan, has been revived. It was first released in Japan about 10 years ago. Although it was not a hit at that time, it was decided to re-release it in Japan as it was re-evaluated overseas as being compatible with the current mainstream hard material plastic balls. With a stiff top sheet and sponge, it demonstrates high rotation performance. In addition to "Barracuda" with a sponge hardness of 47.5 degrees, "Barracuda Big Slam" equipped with a mid-soft sponge with a sponge hardness of 43.5 degrees will reappear at the same time.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2019
True. Yet for me, a slightly toned down T05 is a better T05. That’s not a matter of price at all.

I don’t know at which level that tradeoff becomes a positive one, but am fairly certain it’s a rather high one. Ito Mima, iirc, uses G-1 on her FH, and I don’t think it lacks the pressure needed for her game. In fact, I think I recognize the advantages G-1 has in direct play in her game.

She is sponsored by Nittaku and the Japanese don't tend to break their sponsorship contracts.

What is direct play? This term has always confused me.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2019
How stiff is G1 top sheet compared to other competitors?

G1 top sheet is stiffer than H3N or D05, and its surface is no less or even grippier than D05. For this reason, it grips the ball upon contact like H3N but it doesn't stick the ball, so one can truly make fast arc close to the table.

G1's sponge is more like H3N's, much less springy than D05 or MXP's. So, away from table, it feels slower.

I would say it's 90% H3N and 90% Tenergy.