Advice about a good cheap bh rubber to block/punch block and flat hit

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Right now im using medium pips 1,5 on my bh. But im really missing the chance to open up with soft loops, or over the table with my bh.
My main weapon is my serving and fh attacks.
So if i should try a cheap but good bh rubber again, what would your suggestion then be???

Tuttle 888 ET. Non-tacky but very grippy topsheet. Stable, low arc, easy to block and drive. Low but not too long arc on looping - ball flies off the bat low but dips down abruptly at certain point. Quite easy to loop with when you get used to the arc. Price just about EUR 10.

Another, faster choice could be 729/Friendship Presto MAX Speed, about 2x Tuttle's price.

Reactions: thomas.pong
says Aging is a killer
Gambler Reflectoid

Right now im using medium pips 1,5 on my bh. But im really missing the chance to open up with soft loops, or over the table with my bh.
My main weapon is my serving and fh attacks.
So if i should try a cheap but good bh rubber again, what would your suggestion then be???

A left field choice would be Gambler Reflectoid. It is slow but said slowness is good technique training:).
The advantage is that it has supreme control of incoming loops and drives. So you can block, chop-block,active block, and counter drive/loop. The blocked returns sometimes messes up opponents as they can be wonky.

Use it for a few weeks then move up to something more active as suggested.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2020
Try a short pips rubber with spin capability, e.g. Yinhe Uranus Pro with soft sponge,
http://www.princett.com/EN/USD/prod...-out-Table-Tennis-Rubber-with-rubber-391.html
The medium sponge version is similar to Nittaku Moristo SP, the soft sponge is a little faster. See the excellent review at:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9ebClkEo68 but need to switch on CC to get English subtitles. They also sell the rubber:
https://tt-maximum.com/shop/rubbers/yinhe-milkyway-uranus-pro-soft
Note that the Uranus Pro is different from the Uranus Poly as explained in the video.

Last edited:
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
OK HUstler.

I do not know your level, nor have seen a vid of you and I do not think I have seen you play live.

Having said that, it is impossible for someone to say this is great for you or that... you would have to try a BUNCH of stuff in a controlled setting with some professional competent help evaluating you and giving you feedback.

Having said that, a couple years ago, TTD Member erm did exactly that with me on blades and rubbers. I found that even though I handled OFF class wood and composite blades well, I could benefit from a wood OFF- old school blade. For rubbers I discovered I play best with softer modern dynamic rubber on FH (47 sponge at most for med range) and ditto on BH, even soft old school rubber. (Even though I did very well with medium dynamic)

Until I could run such an evaluation, testing and feedback system for you, we would be shooting in the dark.

However, since you want free advise, we should give you advise that is crappy and free.

What it sounds like you are wanting is a rubber that is relatively spin insensitive, has allround capabilities, plus some off capabilities.

Tiny told you one of the better inexpensive choices for a new rubber. (Reflectoid)

I stand by my recommendation of the BH rubber on the Der_Echte Special (New 896 blade, recycle FH rubber, new XP2008 on BH)

XP 2008 is kinda like reflectoid after a few weeks of use, except it is not as turtle slow, but it is still slow. That rubber does or makes it easier to do what you are asking, and costs $8 USD from colestt.com and you are not gunna beat what you get for that money.

Nexy Karis would be my suggestion as a new rubber, 50 USD retail, but it lasts FOREVER (too bad for meez) and 50 bucks spend on something that will get a couple years of use is pretty good value. I used a sheet for 500 hrs and gave it away for free, sold a 300 hr sheet for 5 or 10 bucks and it was still going strong.

Another idea is to hang around some other players who use modern rubbers and get their discarded rubbers, this might be a cheaper option, free is possible and you cannot beat that price with a stick.

MX-P that is a few months old is is ready for the shytcan (according to top off attacking players) is actually a gold mine. Not very sensitive to incoming spin, plays linear on low to med end. has top end gears.

Reactions: Gekko