Inverted rubber choice for Long Pimple 'Twiddlers'

This user has no status.
Some advice please for someone embarking on combination play, (pause for derision), using OX long pimples primarily for the backhand but allowing for the potential for 'twiddling' and inverted rubber on the forehand for topspin drives, loops and kills to finish the point.
Even though I have been used to fast inverted rubbers on the forehand presumably, because of the possibility of twiddling, it would be advisable to convert to a slower more controllable inverted rubber to avoid a large difference in speed between the two rubbers while maintaining the ability to loop etc.
I am imagining that on the occasions when caught out and forced to play a shot with the inverted rubber instead of the long pimples, if there was too great a contrast in speed between the two rubbers it would be hard to make the adjustment and control the ball as required.

Reactions: latej
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
Buy the inverted rubber you like for your FH. H3 Neo works well since push blockers stay close to the table they don't need or want the fastest rubbers. Even something like 802-40 will work on the FH. If you don't BH loop then just about anything will do. The main point of twiddling is that the a ball hit with the inverted rubber will come back fast with top spin as opposed to slow with back spin. The opponent needs to adjust. In tournaments, many people have enough trouble adjusting to the LPs let alone the twiddle. So many times I have twiddled so the ball comes back with top spin and the opponent thinks it is back spin so he hits the ball high or long.

I think I have H2 Neo on the FH side of my two Firewall+ paddles. The pips are GD Talon 0X.

Twiddling adds yet another complication for the opponent. Many inexperienced players do not adapt fast enough.

Reactions: Basmundo and latej
This user has no status.
Some advice please for someone embarking on combination play, (pause for derision), using OX long pimples primarily for the backhand but allowing for the potential for 'twiddling' and inverted rubber on the forehand for topspin drives, loops and kills to finish the point.
Even though I have been used to fast inverted rubbers on the forehand presumably, because of the possibility of twiddling, it would be advisable to convert to a slower more controllable inverted rubber to avoid a large difference in speed between the two rubbers while maintaining the ability to loop etc.
I am imagining that on the occasions when caught out and forced to play a shot with the inverted rubber instead of the long pimples, if there was too great a contrast in speed between the two rubbers it would be hard to make the adjustment and control the ball as required.

I twiddle in the majority of my rallies. IMO, the most important thing to understand is that when you twiddle, it needs to be part of a sequence. In other words, it is planned in most cases in advance when you will twiddle (based on specific shots, or serves you either make or your opponent makes...). Because of having practiced these different sequences so many times during your training sessions, you will automatically adjust your blade angle and hit with the proper force. This is critical because of the extreme difference in speeds and blade angles when playing an inverted or long pips shot.

I personally use one of the fastest inverted rubbers on the market, as smashing is a very big part of my game. It is no more challenging using this rubber compared to a slower inverted rubber when playing a twiddling game with long pips. So choose the inverted rubber best suited to your game and don't try to match it to your long pips.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
Buy the inverted rubber you like for your FH. H3 Neo works well since push blockers stay close to the table they don't need or want the fastest rubbers. Even something like 802-40 will work on the FH. If you don't BH loop then just about anything will do. The main point of twiddling is that the a ball hit with the inverted rubber will come back fast with top spin as opposed to slow with back spin. The opponent needs to adjust. In tournaments, many people have enough trouble adjusting to the LPs let alone the twiddle. So many times I have twiddled so the ball comes back with top spin and the opponent thinks it is back spin so he hits the ball high or long.

I think I have H2 Neo on the FH side of my two Firewall+ paddles. The pips are GD Talon 0X.

Twiddling adds yet another complication for the opponent. Many inexperienced players do not adapt fast enough.

Thanks for the suggestion brokenball. Having always been used to non-Chinese rubbers such as Rhyzer and Tenergy I understand that the Hurricane rubbers H3 & H2 might take a bit of getting used to. I was wondering about dumbing down the inverted rubber to something like Joola Energy X-tra.

This user has no status.
I twiddle in the majority of my rallies. IMO, the most important thing to understand is that when you twiddle, it needs to be part of a sequence. In other words, it is planned in most cases in advance when you will twiddle (based on specific shots, or serves you either make or your opponent makes...). Because of having practiced these different sequences so many times during your training sessions, you will automatically adjust your blade angle and hit with the proper force. This is critical because of the extreme difference in speeds and blade angles when playing an inverted or long pips shot.

I personally have one of the fastest inverted rubbers on the market, as smashing is a very big part of my game. It is no more challenging using this rubber compared to a slower inverted rubber when playing a twiddling game with long pips. So choose the inverted rubber best suited to your game and don't try to match it to your long pips.

I think that is sound advice though my concern is that in the early stages I could well make a mess of twiddling and get caught out having to use the wrong rubber to what was intended. I am wondering therefore if I should start with a slower inverted rubber until such time when I have worked out some sequences using a reliable twiddle both of which will only come after playing this style for a while. Assuming that ever happens after Covid! :(

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2020
Thanks for the suggestion brokenball. Having always been used to non-Chinese rubbers such as Rhyzer and Tenergy I understand that the Hurricane rubbers H3 & H2 might take a bit of getting used to. I was wondering about dumbing down the inverted rubber to something like Joola Energy X-tra.

A friend of mine has Donic Akkadi Taichi on FH and GD Talon OX on BH. Probably many other rubbers will suit you too. It depends what you want to play, as PushSmasher said. Another friend has Friendship SuperFX, he plays more defensive.

When you manage to twiddle and make the FH stroke movement with long-pips on occasion similar to the usual movement with inverted, it won't come back :) My father does that, if people don't know him, its deadly.

Reactions: Basmundo
This user has no status.
I think that is sound advice though my concern is that in the early stages I could well make a mess of twiddling and get caught out having to use the wrong rubber to what was intended. I am wondering therefore if I should start with a slower inverted rubber until such time when I have worked out some sequences using a reliable twiddle both of which will only come after playing this style for a while. Assuming that ever happens after Covid! :(

Getting caught having to play the side you prefer not to will happen at times no matter how long you have been twiddling. Having said that, no inverted rubber is even close to OX long pips in how it plays. Maybe anti, but you would be one of the only people in the world with OX long pips on one side and anti on the other. haha Not really an option, especially with the style you said you want to play. :)

I think the most important thing that you will discover is that in most cases you can't use the same stroke to return a shot with long pips as you would with an inverted rubber. So trying to get a slow inverted thinking you might be able to make the same stroke when you are caught out probably won't work. Since most of your long pips strokes are going to have different blade angle, different grip etc., in the cases when you have to use the side you prefer not to, you'll simply have to adjust. The more you play, the easier it will get. But everyone who twiddles will at some time forget which side their hitting with. The goal is to try to minimize how many times this happens... :-D

This user has no status.
Having recently switched to long pips I recognize your thoughts. I also agree with PushSmasher and others: You will end up with the wrong side on you FH/BH from time to time. If you forget which rubber is where it is not much to do but if you do know that you are 'caught' on the wrong side it might be good to have practiced playing long pips on FH and inverted on BH as well. Makes life even trickier for the opponent... :)