Getting back in the game...

This user has no status.
Hi all,

Since covid has given me a lot of time, I decided to start playing table tennis again after 5 years. I played a lot when I was a kid to early teens.

Never played any tournaments as I consider myself a lower beginner/intermediate.

My first bat was a DHS PF4 7 ply I got when I was in the Philippines, but I lost it in a bet....

After getting addicted again to the sport I was able to collect some vintage DHS bats. I have 4 vintage bats from the 70’s-80’s. I’m post some pics later.

I recently put new rubber on one of my bats, DHS dragonow 2.0. I filmed trying some shots after glueing it on my old blade. Unfortunately I need 2 more posts to post a link!

Last edited:
This user has no status.
Great, me too but it was 40 years ago since I played seriously. I got a Butterfly Primorac Carbon that was given to me 1996. That’s my current no:1.
cheers
L-zr

Yes,

I love my Pf4 bats, but I do know they're old ;). I play 90% TPB but have tried the RPB and it's a lot of fun, but I do remember the last time I went out hitting at a club most members had a hard time adjusting to my style of playing. I did end up losing though due to lack of experience. Either or I love it. I'm looking at all these different rubbers/SP's to try out. I only know the DHS 651, 652, 874 and C7 rubbers. So much fun!

Reactions: OldschoolPenholder
This user has no status.
My collection:

1970’s PF4 032 Cpen (Main bat. 651 2.2mm and Skyline 2 #19 2.2mm
1970’s PF4 08 Cpen (unmarked) Dragonow 2.0mm
1980’s PF4 032 Shakehand Original 651 2.0 on both sides
1970’s PF4 7 ply Shakehand with C7 long pips 1mm? and 2.0 PF4 inverted
Unknown Meteor 032 Clone Cpen 2 inverted Red Rubbers
1970’s PF4 7 ply (227g!) with mint PF4 2.0mm inverted on both sides.
ac51af3c0635666bb037959995b8119a.jpg

73b497716a8623a205dbeba7e5bceeb2.jpg

79f9dbeb9931d34e3e808f12fbfc2264.jpg

cd29161f14deb1b7f31e96baf79fe71d.jpg

afde0be0d25e127684814bd3f4acc0b4.jpg

01fcdf52ff01f30a60f1c8ec6dfc96d8.jpg

9e87ecfc9d59eeec627d53e0de8d1c02.jpg

Last edited:
This user has no status.
Sorry I messed up trying to upload the photos as I can only do on my phone...I have more pictures of the super heavy 227g Shakehand blade, but I will have to wait until I can upload.

Here is a clip of me trying out DHS dragonow 2.0mm on my old 08 cpen. I still have a lot to learn so please bear with my beginner technique.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
All those DHS (double happiness) cpen blades are in nice shape! In demand. Saw your vid, just keep practicing as you have a robot and table. Practice at home as thats all we can do.

Believe it or not, I got the table and the robot and net for $550! The table is a DHS T-1223! Matching table and bat's. But I am having a lot of fun coming up with fun drills, running around the backhand...huffing and puffing (crazy cardio!). And...I am having a lot of fun trying different rubbers. The dragonow is a bit slower and spinnier than the 651. I still like 651, but it looks like they changed it, because my old SH 032 reacts different than my cpen's rubber.

Thank you for the compliments and support, I practice everyday for a 2-3 hours.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
My collection:

1970’s PF4 032 Cpen (Main bat. 651 2.2mm and Skyline 2 #19 2.2mm
1970’s PF4 08 Cpen (unmarked) Dragonow 2.0mm
1980’s PF4 032 Shakehand Original 651 2.0 on both sides
1970’s PF4 7 ply Shakehand with C7 long pips 1mm? and 2.0 PF4 inverted
Unknown Meteor 032 Clone Cpen 2 inverted Red Rubbers
1970’s PF4 7 ply (227g!) with mint PF4 2.0mm inverted on both sides.
cache.php

cache.php

cache.php

cache.php

cache.php

cache.php

cache.php

Hello:

Just curious how many Penholders are on TTD? I know of a few already (JeffM, Liten, suds79) , not sure if site has a create thread/poll option... didn't think i see it.

What ever you do, don't let OSPH see those photos or he may want to hunt you down to get his hands on your blades. :)

Have a look at this thread of his:

https://www.tabletennisdaily.com/fo...ny-Penholders-are-on-TTD&highlight=penholders

This user has no status.
What ever you do, don't let OSPH see those photos or he may want to hunt you down to get his hands on your blades. :)

Have a look at this thread of his:

https://www.tabletennisdaily.com/fo...ny-Penholders-are-on-TTD&highlight=penholders

Ha! I'm not selling my bats as these are the bats of my childhood. I'm also looking for some old "Shield" and "Pioneer" blades. I'm curious to try some modern rubber on these old blades but I never tried modern inverted rubbers or even new blades. I figured, technique first and just get used to moving around, getting some better footwork in.

Should I respond to the penhold thread? LOL. I guess no turning back now...he's from NYC too!

Last edited:
This user has no status.
IMG_3113.jpgIMG_3114.jpgIMG_3115.jpgIMG_3116.jpgIMG_3117.jpgIMG_3118.jpgIMG_3122.jpgIMG_3123.jpg
This is my latest addition. It weighs 227g! Super heavy 7-ply, brand new in the box. The seller said he bought two of these bats in the late 70's and still plays with his own, I bought his other. Came in the box with the plastic sheets still on the sticky Pf4 rubber. I don't play shakehand but this hits real nice even penhold. A weightlifting bat in a way. Great memories from when I was in middleschool. This is the bat I had and lost in a bet while playing a top highschool player in the Philippines. I was so happy to find it, let alone mint!

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Ha! I'm not selling my batsaby as these are the bats of my childhood. I'm also looking for some old "Shield" and "Pioneer" blades. I'm curious to try some modern rubber on these old blades but I never tried modern inverted rubbers or even new blades. I figured, technique first and just get used to moving around, getting some better footwork in.

Should I respond to the penhold thread? LOL. I guess no turning back now...he's from NYC too!

Nah. He wouldn't really want your blades. I am pretty sure he would just be happy to meet another old school penhold player.

And, yeah, he is from NYC.

This user has no status.
I miss blades like those above. Nostalgic especially if they are pf032 and 08 but not in the pics (with lens 032)

My main bat has 032 on the butt of the handle, but recently I had to reglue the handle back on so you can't see the number on it.
I did a bad job using Gorilla glue, but...the bat still hits well and it's my favorite with 651 2.2mm short pips.

The other cpen 7ply says PF4 on the handle but doesn't say 08 on the bottom butt end. But the box it came in was green and said Pf4 on it. Anyways, I really enjoy playing with all them and the one shakehand bat that has c7 long pips on it, I really enjoy hitting with that one too...I might change the inverted rubber on the 032 and replace it with c7 long pips since I can get a good flat block and drive on both forehand and backhand with it.

This user has no status.
Nah. He wouldn't really want your blades. I am pretty sure he would just be happy to meet another old school penhold player.

And, yeah, he is from NYC.

Sweet! I responded to the thread! I know it's a bit late, but hope he responds.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Welcome to TTD KarlP4001! Thanks to Carl for the heads up on your thread. I haven't been on this forum in almost a year, didn't want to check in and make me miss TT even more.

Nice collection of oldschool DHS PF4 blades! I'm 56 yrs old, played when I was a kid in late 1970s - mid 1980's. Around the time I stopped playing less and ultimately 'retired' from TT, DHS had come out with their PF4 line. I had a 032 and still have my 08 which i nicknamed "Excalibur". I had a PF4 032 too also at one point. Recall i didn't like the PF4 blades as much as the blades pre-PF4. May all be in my head LOL

Where in NY are you?

The main club I play at is in Queens and is a NYC Dept of Parks Recreation Center, "Lost Battalion Hall" in Rego Park. I haven't played there since mid-March when closed due to the lockdown and has not opened back up yet :( However, I live with my 85 yr old mom and I don't want to risk catching COVID-19.

Welcome back to the game! Hope we can get a chance to hit!!

Very truly yours in TT,

~osph