Opinions on Grip tape

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2019
I recently bought the nittaku acoustic wood blade, and i found its abit narrow around the mid part of the handle. So i was thinking about getting grip tape and putting some on the mid part of the handle. Although im contemplating whether i should get grip tape or i might get used to the handle. As ive been advised that grip tape dampens the 'feeling' of blade, and im low lvl intermediate player and the reason i got the blade was for its feeling so im not sure whether i should get grip tape or not.

Theres tennis grip tape at local shops but i think these are meant to take away the vibration, anyone have any recommendation on some good grip tapes that dont take away feeling ?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2019
Consider using a tennis "overgrip". An overgrip is a much thinner grip meant to wrap around a normal tennis racket grip so that it is a cheaper option to replace the overgrip rather than the full grip once worn out. So they make the overgrip thinner without any "padding" so that it does not increase the size of the handle as much.

I use Wilson Advantage overgrip and more recently tried Tournagrip. All of this is personal preference, but for me there is still plenty of feel.

You can search on amazon or tennis shops for overgrips and many of them will show the thickness.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2018
Read 3 reviews
It depends on whether you change your grip from BH to FH and FH to BH or not. I experienced that it makes harder to change grip and it feels different. I don't prefer grip tape but if I use, probably I can use to it in a few trainings.

Gesendet von meinem CLT-L09 mit Tapatalk

says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
I like it. Pretty much can't play without it. I buy tennis grips and cut it down to size. I use the minimum amount possible.

Reactions: thomas.pong
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
It depends on whether you change your grip from BH to FH and FH to BH or not. I experienced that it makes harder to change grip and it feels different. I don't prefer grip tape but if I use, probably I can use to it in a few trainings.

Gesendet von meinem CLT-L09 mit Tapatalk

I see where you are goin with this... and it is a good point. I recently swithched to ST baldes... and I had Nate recently make me some blades with fatter ST handles, so I have not needed grip tape with those.

I CAN SAY for sure, that those ST handles fit to size make an easier BH to FH or FH to BH transition.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2018
Read 3 reviews
I see where you are goin with this... and it is a good point. I recently swithched to ST baldes... and I had Nate recently make me some blades with fatter ST handles, so I have not needed grip tape with those.

I CAN SAY for sure, that those ST handles fit to size make an easier BH to FH or FH to BH transition.
Although I have always used FL handle, now my equipment junkie mindset is tempting me to buy an ST blade :)

Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
favorite viscaria 3.jpg

I actually think the grip tape is mainly for only two of my fingers towards the bottom. At least, that seems to be all I need.

This is a black tag Viscaria.

Last edited:
says MIA
says MIA
Nov 2016
I actually think the grip tape is mainly for only two of my fingers towards the bottom. At least, that seems to be all I need.

This is a black tag Viscaria.

Nice! Thanks.

Yea, I see some people just tape the bottom half like you, others just the middle or top half.

I see T05, is that your FH or BH?
What rubber do you have on the other side?

Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
At that time I took that photo I used T05 both sides. Now I use Nexy Karis M both sides. Well actually I'm waiting for this pandemic to ease up. But that is what I use now.

says The trick to lose the sight of big picture is to focus...
Aug 2013
Read 3 reviews
I started using grip tape when I shifted from FL to ST handle. Somehow it felt that ST handle is flying away from my hand. Also, I changed brand of my blade. Butterfly ST handles especially ZJK ALC are thin as per my liking and the problem was solved after using grip tape. I also realized that grip tape allowed me to ease up the tension in my grip. I am not sure about the loss of feeling though. As I don't change equipment that often I think that my mind gets accustomed to the feeling which I get from the blade handle after putting grip tape.
I have used Wilson overgrip, Nittaku Grip tape and Gamma over grip. All of them are very good with different price points. If you haven't used grip tape in the past then you might need to experiment a little to find the one which suits you best.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
I feel like the feeling get a bit muted but maybe this is a habit?

Aug 2013
Read 3 reviews
I feel like the feeling get a bit muted but maybe this is a habit?

Hi Lula, you might be right here. As grip tape adds a bit of padding although thin but still it is there. And that for sure would mute the vibrations. However, you will notice this only when you make a transition or start comparing between a blade which has grip tape added and the one which doesn't. If you start using it regularly then I don't think it creates any hinderance in ball feeling as you get used to it. Off late, I noticed that my hands get sweaty a lot and grip tape definitely helps in this case. Also as I mentioned, it helps me in holding the paddle more relaxed and thus I can swing harder and more explosively. That for me is a big USP for grip tape. But I don't say that it is a must or I don't recommend it either. It is purely a personal choice and some players might be compelled to use it as myself due to various reasons.