Rubber for nittaku acoustic

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2021
Hi guys,

I have been playing casually for 2 years with random $30 racket on amazon.

I am eyeing on nittaku acoustic for its all around capability (slightly focus on looping).
But I am completely lost on what rubber to choose.

The general guidance I have after spending hours in forums is that acoustic works better with medium-hard or hard rubber.
Hard rubbers are also better for plastic balls but require more skills.

Currently in my shopping cart is

FH: [FONT=&quot]Nittaku Fastarc G-1 1.8mm[/FONT]
BH: [FONT=&quot]Yasaka Rakza 7 1.8mm

[/FONT]
Does that sound about right?

Other rubbers I have heard for includes the following but data point are too sparse.
Mark V: safe choice but a little to slow for plastic ball.
Vega pro

Thanks!

Reactions: jk1980
This user has no status.
That is actually the exact set up I had when I first played with Acoustic. It's a great set up and you can't go wrong with it. I eventually changed FH rubber to a boosted H3, which also pairs extremely well with Acoustic.

I'm currently played with Long 5 with boosted Hurricane, but I miss Acoustic + boosted H3 and will eventually go back.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2021
That is actually the exact set up I had when I first played with Acoustic. It's a great set up and you can't go wrong with it. I eventually changed FH rubber to a boosted H3, which also pairs extremely well with Acoustic.

I'm currently played with Long 5 with boosted Hurricane, but I miss Acoustic + boosted H3 and will eventually go back.

Thanks for the information!
How does boosted h3 work for you? Is boosting a lot difference?
Reading reviews from forums, H3 (and Long5 ) seems an advanced rubber (blade) so pretty sure I am not there yet :)

says toooooo much choice!!
says toooooo much choice!!
Jul 2020
Read 11 reviews
I’ve just put Rakza Z 2.0mm on my acoustic (large handle version) plays really well!!
The Rakza Z is good for short touch and serves, there’s plenty of speed when looping, it also produces high spin levels when you brush the ball correctly.
It’s a very good combination!!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2021
I’ve just put Rakza Z 2.0mm on my acoustic (large handle version) plays really well!!
The Rakza Z is good for short touch and serves, there’s plenty of speed when looping, it also produces high spin levels when you brush the ball correctly.
It’s a very good combination!!

Have you tired 1.8mm vs 2.0mm?

This user has no status.
I had the regular (non-NEO) H3 provincial blue sponge (40 degree) boosted with 3 layers of Falco. It paired really well with Acoustic. It's generally better to go with flexy blade with hard rubber vs. hard blade with soft rubber. It was easily the most spinny set up I have ever played with.

I'm certain Acoustic will pair well with modern hybrid rubbers too, like Rakza Z the above guy mentioned.

says MIA
says MIA
Nov 2016
Hi guys,

I have been playing casually for 2 years with random $30 racket on amazon.

I am eyeing on nittaku acoustic for its all around capability (slightly focus on looping).
But I am completely lost on what rubber to choose.

The general guidance I have after spending hours in forums is that acoustic works better with medium-hard or hard rubber.
Hard rubbers are also better for plastic balls but require more skills.

Currently in my shopping cart is

FH: Nittaku Fastarc G-1 1.8mm
BH: Yasaka Rakza 7 1.8mm

Does that sound about right?

Other rubbers I have heard for includes the following but data point are too sparse.
Mark V: safe choice but a little to slow for plastic ball.
Vega pro

Thanks!

Hi, if you've only played casually for 2 years, I think the Nittaku Acoustic is a good choice for you but the rubbers you mentioned might be too fast and also hard to engage for spin, especially the Fastarc G-1, all that coming from a pre-made racket.

Honestly, on a classic 5-ply all-wood blade like the Acoustic, any rubbers work well, soft or hard, even pips and anti, it really depends on your level and what you're looking for in terms of feel...

By casually, do you play at home, work or at a social venue, or at a club but no competition? Do you take lessons with a coach or train particular aspects of the game regularly with a partner running drills? Can you drive comfortably on both FH and BH, block comfortably from both wings, short push comfortably with spin from both wings, topspin to topspin comfortably from both wings, flick comfortably from both wings, topspin lift (heavy) backspin comfortably from both wings? And can you do these things comfortably in game vs. in set training and drills?

Some of the rubbers I like to recommend most to beginners to intermediate players are the Xiom Vega series (Intro, Elite, Europe, Japan, Pro depending on level), Butterfly Rozena, Yasaka Rakza 7 (regular and Soft depending on level) and even DHS Hurricane 3 (regular or Neo) commercial version unboosted if you want to go the Chinese route. For you Xiom Vega Intro (which is 47 degrees) or H3 might work great. Or Vega Elite or Europe, or Rakza 7 Soft, but the others (Vega Pro and Japan, Rakza 7, Rozena) might be too fast and unforgiving.

Also, if you want a blade that's very similar to the Acoustic but much cheaper, the Stiga Azalea OFF or Xiom Offensive S are excellent.

Last edited:
says MIA
says MIA
Nov 2016
I had the regular (non-NEO) H3 provincial blue sponge (40 degree) boosted with 3 layers of Falco. It paired really well with Acoustic. It's generally better to go with flexy blade with hard rubber vs. hard blade with soft rubber. It was easily the most spinny set up I have ever played with.

I'm certain Acoustic will pair well with modern hybrid rubbers too, like Rakza Z the above guy mentioned.

Just curious, I've typically heard people say Seamoon booster is better for boosting Chinese rubbers. Have you tried it vs. Falco?

Just curious, I've typically heard people say Seamoon booster is better for boosting Chinese rubbers. Have you tried it vs. Falco?

Seamoon has a more potent boosting effect but lasts shorter than falco.

Reactions: thomas.pong
says MIA
says MIA
Nov 2016
As yogi said, Falco (temp long version) lasts much longer than seamoon, kailin, and seamoon boosters from China. Obviously the Chinese ones will have stronger effect but Falco does good enough of a job for me and I simply don't want to bother with rebooting every few weeks.

Isn't Seamoon supposed to last 2-3 months?

How long does Falco last?

This user has no status.
FTL should last 3 months. Honestly, I usually apply 3 layers and never reboost again because after a few months the rubber is much easier to play already.

Generally Chinese boosters don't last over a month. Again, comes down to personal preference. Some people prob don't bother re-applying.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2021
Hi, if you've only played casually for 2 years, I think the Nittaku Acoustic is a good choice for you but the rubbers you mentioned might be too fast and also hard to engage for spin, especially the Fastarc G-1, all that coming from a pre-made racket.

Honestly, on a classic 5-ply all-wood blade like the Acoustic, any rubbers work well, soft or hard, even pips and anti, it really depends on your level and what you're looking for in terms of feel...

By casually, do you play at home, work or at a social venue, or at a club but no competition? Do you take lessons with a coach or train particular aspects of the game regularly with a partner running drills? Can you drive comfortably on both FH and BH, block comfortably from both wings, short push comfortably with spin from both wings, topspin to topspin comfortably from both wings, flick comfortably from both wings, topspin lift (heavy) backspin comfortably from both wings? And can you do these things comfortably in game vs. in set training and drills?

Some of the rubbers I like to recommend most to beginners to intermediate players are the Xiom Vega series (Intro, Elite, Europe, Japan, Pro depending on level), Butterfly Rozena, Yasaka Rakza 7 (regular and Soft depending on level) and even DHS Hurricane 3 (regular or Neo) commercial version unboosted if you want to go the Chinese route. For you Xiom Vega Intro (which is 47 degrees) or H3 might work great. Or Vega Elite or Europe, or Rakza 7 Soft, but the others (Vega Pro and Japan, Rakza 7, Rozena) might be too fast and unforgiving.

Also, if you want a blade that's very similar to the Acoustic but much cheaper, the Stiga Azalea OFF or Xiom Offensive S are excellent.

Thank you very much for your detailed response!

I am usually playing drill with friends.
I am comfortable with blocking, short push and drive on both wings. Flick only on BH and topspin mainly on FH. I want to be able to topspin lift more so I can transition from backspin push to looping faster.

RDo you have suggestion about 1.8mm vs 2.0mm?

I heard that harder rubbers are needed for the lager and plastic ball. So I didn't consider Rakza 7 soft, or rubbers that are softer or equal to medium. Do you think it's a myth or it's not for my level yet?

Thanks!