PDA

View Full Version : Can China Go Without Dropping a Match in the World Team Competition

UpSideDownCarl
03-23-2012, 06:37 PM
So this is a simple poll. How many of you out there think that China can go through the whole World Team Tournament without dropping a Match.

Go ahead and vote in the poll. :)

https://www.tabletennisdaily.co.uk/forum/images/longwtttc1.jpg
Ma Long of China returns the ball during the Championship Division Group A match
against Panagiotis Gionis of Greece at the 2012 World Team Table Tennis*
Championships in Dortmund, Germany, March 25, 2012. Chinese men's team won 3-0.
(Xinhua/Ma Ning)

Anders123
03-23-2012, 06:44 PM
Nice thread Carl! :) I do believe that they can. I just simply think they are the best by miles, and i can't see anyone they should fear :) If anyone should threaten them just a bit, then it should be Korea in my opinion! :)

Anders
03-23-2012, 07:11 PM
I don't get it... Sorry.. Do you mean a singles match in the team competition (for example Ma Long could lose against Boll when China meets Germany), or do you mean a team match vs. another country (For example Germany beats China when they meet up)? :)

UpSideDownCarl
03-23-2012, 08:00 PM
I don't get it... Sorry.. Do you mean a singles match in the team competition (for example Ma Long could lose against Boll when China meets Germany), or do you mean a team match vs. another country (For example Germany beats China when they meet up)? :)

Oh, good point Anders. I meant a player vs player match. Rather than Country vs Country. For example, in 2010 I believe that the only match that China lost in the 2010 team competition was Ma Long vs Timo Boll. If Ma Long had won that match China would have defeated each of their opponents without giving up a match in the head to head match-ups.

haris
03-23-2012, 08:13 PM
nice thread Carl,

Europeans seems that they can't beat them this time..Chinese were very strong in every open at 2012..
i give good chance that might happened.

except Gionis will make the surprise in the first game..hehe
Greece!!!!

jmillsy2
03-23-2012, 08:26 PM
I think that China will make one slip up, however they will win the overall championships fairly simply. that said i want south korea to cause a huge upset!
I think the women may manage this feat too, however Singapore could give them problems and possibly also Japan. South Korea and Hong Kong have fallen off the pace a bit so i think they would do well to get to the semi finals this time around, and what interesting semis they could be in the mens and the womens...

Anders
03-23-2012, 09:25 PM
Oh, good point Anders. I meant a player vs player match. Rather than Country vs Country. For example, in 2010 I believe that the only match that China lost in the 2010 team competition was Ma Long vs Timo Boll. If Ma Long had won that match China would have defeated each of their opponents without giving up a match in the head to head match-ups.

Thank you Carl, that's clearing things up! :)

Well, in this respect, I think China wont be able to do that.. Germany, Korea, Japan, and even Sweden, all have players that might pull off some upsets against China when they are in top form and playing good.

Anyway, I think there will be very difficult for anyone to win against China.. But China will not win every match in straight mathces, I don't think so.
Time will show! :)

Bollforte94
03-23-2012, 11:29 PM
China 3 - 0 Country "x"

nabilatouni
03-24-2012, 01:04 AM
I think China will lose at least one match! Even if, the Chinese team were strong at every open this year, they didin't play a great match against their big opponent. And, at this stage, their biggest opponent such Germany, Japan and South Korea are also really strong and I think they can play strong.
China should be careful and take this WTTTC as an important preparation for the Olympics! But I'm sure they will win the competition!

judah000
03-24-2012, 04:09 AM
China 3 - 0 Country "x"

AGREE!!!!! There skills are way too good

azlan
03-24-2012, 04:19 AM
China is indeed very very strong..but I think the Singaporeans, Koreans and the Japanese can nick it in the men's doubles (Asian Championships 2012 - Ma Long/Wang Hao vs Jung Young Sik/Kim Min Seo). So...3-1 to China?? hehehehe

MildSeven
03-24-2012, 04:34 AM
They certainly have the ability to...plus the interviews leading up to it make them seem very focused and taking this seriously because it will have ramifications within developing a new order within the team. Will they actually sweep? I'm fairly split on that possibility...but I hope not...because when a Chinese player loses a singles match in an important competition it is probably the most exciting thing to watch in table tennis, for me at least.

Matt Hetherington
03-24-2012, 04:49 AM
atm i think they could do it, but will cme dwn to doubles if anything :P

UpSideDownCarl
03-24-2012, 06:33 AM
Just for the record, I like the Chinese National Team, so it is nothing against them, but I will be rooting for anyone to win against them. I am hoping someone can take them out; anyone. Of course, I don't think that is going to happen. They really are too good. I don't really think they will go through the whole tournament without dropping at least one match somewhere along the line. There will probably be one place along the way where someone or a doubles team does not play great.

But, the reality of things is that, they probably have more of a chance of going 3-0 on everyone than they have of losing a team matchup to anyone. This year's team is much stronger than the team in 2010 and the only thing that stopped them from going through the whole team event without dropping one match was Timo Boll facing a Ma Long who was coming off an injury. He had been out for 3 months before that tournament and he went back out for another 3 months after that tournament. And Ma Long choked in that match. He was leading and in control and fell apart.

All those factors in place and China was still 1 match away from a perfect tournament.

WiWa
03-24-2012, 08:54 AM
I think they will drop one or more matches, providing that Ma Lin and Wang Hao play a substantial amount of matches. If Ma Long, Zhang Jike and Xu Xin would play everything, a clean sweep will be very possible.

Steven
03-24-2012, 10:02 AM
I think they will lose at least one player-vs-player match, but I'm pretty sure they'll win the cup again. I think it'll be somewhat similar to the last world cup.

jmillsy2
03-24-2012, 11:07 AM
urmm, just to simplify things i think people are getting confused..
as far as i know, there is NO DOUBLES in the wttc its 5 singles matches, meaning china has even more chance of a total whitewash...
however i think they may still lose one match- maybe north korea can pull off an upset ;)

jmillsy2
03-24-2012, 11:07 AM
urmm, just to simplify things i think people are getting confused..
as far as i know, there is NO DOUBLES in the wttc its 5 singles matches, meaning china has even more chance of a total whitewash...
however i think they may still lose one match- maybe north korea can pull off an upset ;)

ttmonster
03-24-2012, 04:03 PM
I don't think as a team that is a target for them.LGL is too sensible a guy and would want to peak slowly.However,the individual competitions within the team is so high because of the olympics , no body would want to lose. So yes its a possibility but I don't think it will happen .

azlan
03-24-2012, 05:01 PM
Oh yes...I totally got it mixed up with WTTC. There are no doubles in WTTTC:)..thanx pointing it out SC. You do need something special to take a match away from the Chinese. In 2010, there was Timo..this year, it all depends on the draw and whether the others can find that extra special something. I definitely think it's do-able, and hope it will be a bit closer this time. The Chinese will prevail in the end to win it...

cmetsbeltran15
03-24-2012, 05:09 PM
Oh yes...I totally got it mixed up with WTTC. There are no doubles in WTTTC:)..thanx pointing it out SC. You do need something special to take a match away from the Chinese. In 2010, there was Timo..this year, it all depends on the draw and whether the others can find that extra special something. I definitely think it's do-able, and hope it will be a bit closer this time. The Chinese will prevail in the end to win it...

Mizutani, Boll, Joo (eh) , and Ovtcharov are the only ones with realistic shots imo. Gonna be interesting to see how Koki Niwa and Maharu Yoshimura do.

azlan
03-24-2012, 05:52 PM
Mizutani, Boll, Joo (eh) , and Ovtcharov are the only ones with realistic shots imo. Gonna be interesting to see how Koki Niwa and Maharu Yoshimura do.

Yeah mate, I should think so too. Boll maybe fit, but is he match fit? Joo took out Jike and nearly Ma Long too. Mizutani should be on a high after his performance in Kuwait and the Asians and Ovtchorov is in flying form..I think in this past year or two, the games are getting closer and tighter. The rest are definitely catching up.

I CAN'T WAIT FOR IT TO START!!!!!

WiWa
03-24-2012, 08:27 PM
I think Ryu has a decent chance too, and as we have seen, Skachkov and Robinot have a shot too ;)

cmetsbeltran15
03-24-2012, 11:38 PM
I think Ryu has a decent chance too, and as we have seen, Skachkov and Robinot have a shot too ;)

Ryu will take games, but I don't see him taking any matches at this point in his career. Skachkov? No. Robinot? Doubt it, his match with Ma Lin was a fluke; Ma Lin was at an all time low at that time and seems to be back in good form.

ttmedari
03-25-2012, 12:11 AM
they can..especially for the three tigers Ma Long, Xu Xin, and Zhang Jike

UpSideDownCarl
03-25-2012, 10:26 AM
Does anyone know if anyone aside from Joo Se Hyuk in that first tournament this year, who is not on the Chinese National Team, has beaten any of China's top four--Ma Long, Zhang Zhang Jike, Wang Hao, Xu Xin?

They have beaten each other, but has anyone else besides Joo taken a match, this year, from one of those 4?

UpSideDownCarl
03-25-2012, 10:49 AM
Hey, I thought about this more:

Ma Long has only lost one match since late August 2011. That match was recent and the loss was in the finals, to Zhang Jike.

Zhang Jike lost one match this year to Joo. Otherwise the only person this year to beat him was Ma Long. Since August 2011 most of Zhang Jike's losses came at the hands of Ma Long.

Has Xu Xin lost to anyone not on the Chinese National Team lately?

Has Wang Hao lost to anyone aside from his teammates?

Ma Lin Struggled between August 2011 and December of 2011. But has he lost to anyone aside from one of his teammates this year?????

I cannot think of any loss except Joo beating Zhang Jike, this year, that has one of these 5 against anyone from another country. Who has the facts on this.

Might be more than possible for China to make a clean sweep.

harrybelafonte
03-26-2012, 05:54 PM
Will china even drop an end.Lol... all games 3-0 at the min, no deuce games yet...

TTTT
03-27-2012, 12:29 AM
Does anyone know if anyone aside from Joo Se Hyuk in that first tournament this year, who is not on the Chinese National Team, has beaten any of China's top four--Ma Long, Zhang Zhang Jike, Wang Hao, Xu Xin?

They have beaten each other, but has anyone else besides Joo taken a match, this year, from one of those 4?

You know, they haven't really played many competitions this year. You'd have to go back at least 12 months or so to make this meaningful.

Matt Hetherington
03-27-2012, 12:52 AM
Will china even drop an end.Lol... all games 3-0 at the min, no deuce games yet...

haha that's what I was going to say. We're all debating whether they will drop a match and so far they haven't even lost a set!

UpSideDownCarl
03-27-2012, 04:43 AM
haha that's what I was going to say. We're all debating whether they will drop a match and so far they haven't even lost a set!

Funny. At some point they will drop some games though. :) At least I think they will. :)

You know, they haven't really played many competitions this year. You'd have to go back at least 12 months or so to make this meaningful.

If in 4 tournaments the only person to get a match from a Chinese player aside from teammates was Joo Se Hyuk against Zhang Jike in the first tournament of the year, I would say that is pretty big.

TTTT
03-27-2012, 05:12 AM
If in 4 tournaments the only person to get a match from a Chinese player aside from teammates was Joo Se Hyuk against Zhang Jike in the first tournament of the year, I would say that is pretty big.

Boll didn't even play in one of those tournaments. The last time Ovtcharov played against a Chinese was in November: one win and one loss against Wang Hao. Ryu hasn't yet played a Chinese this year. 4 tournaments with so-so participation is not much.

WiWa
03-27-2012, 06:50 AM
Boll didn't even play in one of those tournaments. The last time Ovtcharov played against a Chinese was in November: one win and one loss against Wang Hao. Ryu hasn't yet played a Chinese this year. 4 tournaments with so-so participation is not much.

Good point. Dima almost beat Zhang Jike at the World Cup, and beat Wang Hao in the World Team Cup. Also Ryu Gave Ma Long at his best some trouble.

UpSideDownCarl
03-27-2012, 11:37 AM
Well, lets hope someone can take them out completely. That would be a lot of fun.

Matt Hetherington
03-27-2012, 12:32 PM
Ryu also pushed Wang Hao to 7 at the last WTTC

UpSideDownCarl
03-27-2012, 12:48 PM
Well, at least China lost games now. No matches yet.

Ryu did not really give Ma Long too much trouble. He surprised Ma Long in the first game and then Ma Long destroyed him. Ma Long was down big in the first game and almost pulled that one out too. Ma Long saw Ryu was going for the big shots and just went straight at his strength and overpowered him. But it is true, Ryu seems to give Wang Hao a lot of trouble. There is no doubt about that. There were some young Korean players who were surprising to me in the World Team Cup as well.

Lets hope someone can do more than win a match, and nock china off or at least give them a run for their money. The big matches will be later this week.

But I don't think anyone on the Chinese team wants to be the one to lose a match this year.

WiWa
03-27-2012, 12:52 PM
Well in the World Cup the biggest fight was against Russia who came 2-1 up. Who had expected that. You never know what will happen :)

UpSideDownCarl
03-28-2012, 05:12 AM
Well in the World Cup the biggest fight was against Russia who came 2-1 up. Who had expected that. You never know what will happen :)

Yep. That was when Ma Lin was struggling and Ma Lin lost a singles match and he and Wang Hao lost a doubles match.

Bollforte94
03-28-2012, 10:14 AM
I still think China will not lose a single match if Liu Gouliang pick Ma Long, Wang Hao and Zhang Jike in every match. To lose a set is no disgrace.

UpSideDownCarl
03-28-2012, 11:48 AM
I am starting to think that nobody on the Chinese team wants to be the one to lose a match. And Ma Lin is not playing the way he was in the fall where he was struggling and losing to people he should not lose to. We will see if someone from China has a bad match and drops one. But the closer to the end of the tournament this goes without them dropping a match, the less they are going to want to be the first to lose a match and so, the harder they will try.

Michal_Z
03-28-2012, 12:16 PM
Well just now it looks like Ma Lin is going to lose against Cheung Yuk..
Its 1:1, but the second game Ma Lin won a bit lucky .. at least for me it seems so..
And Cheung is really playing pretty good!!!
I think Cheung will win this time :)

rooklynbounce
03-28-2012, 12:28 PM
Ma Lin might lose now!

rooklynbounce
03-28-2012, 12:32 PM
I take that back...

Michal_Z
03-28-2012, 01:27 PM
Naaah.. Too bad Ma Lin was able to win it in the end..
Cheuk played well..
So China has to wait for the first loss a little longer :)

UpSideDownCarl
03-29-2012, 01:46 PM
Naaah.. Too bad Ma Lin was able to win it in the end..
Cheuk played well..
So China has to wait for the first loss a little longer :)

Well, at least someone almost lost. :)

UpSideDownCarl
03-30-2012, 06:39 PM
Have they dropped a match yet? They still haven't right? Nobody has taken a match from them yet. It is looking more and more like they could make a clean sweep.

Michal_Z
03-31-2012, 03:59 PM
Well I am not sure if this applyes for the women part,..
But Li Xiaoxia just lost to Tie Yana 3:1 :)

UpSideDownCarl
04-01-2012, 03:38 AM
Well I am not sure if this applyes for the women part,..
But Li Xiaoxia just lost to Tie Yana 3:1 :)

No, I would not have put this in about the women. The men.

So it is all down to the finals. Can Germany take a match from China. I know Ovtcharov and Boll are playing well. But will Germany be able to take a match from China tomorrow. If they cannot, China's men's team will have completed the tournament without dropping one match. And I don't think anyone one the Chinese team wants to be the one to drop a match.

Matt Hetherington
04-01-2012, 06:03 AM
Depends on the order and who is played. If Guoliang is dumb enough to play Ma Lin (I know he won't) he deserves a bullet :)

azlan
04-01-2012, 06:09 AM
Common Liu, put Ma Lin against Timo or Dima....:) I want China to drop a game so bad hahaha

UpSideDownCarl
04-01-2012, 07:44 AM
Yeah, that is what I was thinking, the only possible way is if Ma Lin plays Dima or Timo. I watched Wang Hao agaisnt Ryu and he is playing very well and adjusted to Ryu better than normal and Ryu usually gives him trouble. Timo and Dima are playing very well also but I don't think they are playing well enough to take out Ma Long, Zhang Jike, Xu Xin or Wang Hao.

But, we can hope.

Anders
04-01-2012, 08:08 AM
Remember, ZJK is not in his best form now... And Timo probably wants to win over him really bad. So I think Timo is able to beat ZJK. The only player that the germans should not beat on the Chinese team, is Ma Long atm. They are able to beat the others if they play to their max level, then they might surprise the Chinese ;)

Michal_Z
04-01-2012, 10:35 AM
Ma Long said they are prepared..
So I dont think Germany will have much of chance..
I wouldnt put Zhang in being Liu..
Ma Long, Xu Xin and Wang Hao.. and 3:0 is there..

UpSideDownCarl
04-01-2012, 11:25 AM
I am afraid of 3:0 but lets hope Germany can make the finals exciting.

UpSideDownCarl
04-01-2012, 11:30 AM
Also, day of the finals and the poll stands at:

23 people think China will make a clean sweep.

37 people think China will drop at least one match.

The poll won't close for another few days because I calculated incorrectly. But as of now, day of the finals, it is 7:30am in NYC, 1:30pm in Berlin, that is how the poll stands.

blahness
04-01-2012, 01:25 PM
Germany got the worst line-up they could wish for, they should have put Ovtcharov as the 1st player ahead of Boll to catch ZJK and Boll can then catch Ma Long. Now it's going to be all over pretty soon. They are indeed going to win without losing a single match, and also Ma Long has not even dropped a set! Amazing!

Michal_Z
04-01-2012, 01:53 PM
Well it is 3:0, so China didnt lose anything..

Matt Hetherington
04-01-2012, 02:01 PM
Final Answer....YES > . <

UpSideDownCarl
04-01-2012, 04:36 PM
Final Answer....YES > . <

I was hoping someone could give them a fight. Dima and Timo were playing well. But, to me, it did not look like they were playing well enough to take matches from a Chinese team gearing up for the Olympics.

I think we also saw Liu Gouliang's Olympic team:

1) Ma Long
2) Zhang Jike
3) Wang Hao

No singles for Wang Hao. The other two are too good to hold back. I could be wrong but that is what I think will happen.

Michal_Z
04-01-2012, 05:12 PM
I agree, but I would pick Xu Xin for doubles ..
But he is young, maybe he will get chance later..

UpSideDownCarl
04-01-2012, 10:43 PM
Thanks to Dan the poll is now closed. Unfortunately The Chinese team was really just too good this year but the German's did their best to try and put up a good showing. The rest of the world really does have some catching up to do now.

rooklynbounce
04-01-2012, 11:25 PM
The thing that's really sick is that Ma Long did not lose a single set.

renben
04-02-2012, 01:37 AM
i think LGL will be very wary of Timo now after he nearly caught up with ZJK

UpSideDownCarl
04-03-2012, 04:24 AM
The thing that's really sick is that Ma Long did not lose a single set.

I think he's getting ready for the Olympics. :)