Is it me or my setup!!!!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2012
Hi everyone im new to the forum,
my setup is primorac off-/ bryce speed fx on forehand and sriver fx on backhand, i play mostly offensive & sometimes defensive and i am a begginner
my problem is that today i played with it for the first time and mostly i hit out or in the net, so should i change my setup or practice more with it???

syedlee

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2011
Read 4 reviews
Welcome to the forums syedlee. You'll find a lot of people here that can answer your questions or discuss topics with. I hope you enjoy your stay here.

If you're a beginner I would get rid of the bryce fx and stick with sriver fx on both sides. You need to learn spin before you can use a faster rubber like bryce fx. In your case learn to spin with the sriver and your blade is fine for getting in your speed shots. If you're hitting into the net it's likely your hitting the top of the ball. If you are hitting long your stroke is going too far upward or your racket angle is too open so you can close the racket or hit more forward. It's hard to learn how to do this with bryce if you're just starting out. That's why I recommend the sriver.

Too many players rely on getting faster and spinnier rubbers instead of improving their technique. You tend to plateau and stop improving for a long time when you do this because you're unable to produce the stroke needed for spin and speed. So if you want to get better then stick with the sriver. If you're just looking to have fast or spinnier shots then you can try and work with what you have.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2010
You may need to change your setup but I would give it a few more months. There is always a period of adjustment when you have new equipment, so maybe you will get used to it and be just fine, but you will not know after only playing it for the first time. If after 1 or 2 months you have no confidence or consistency relative to what you are capable of during practice with the basic drills, then you should look for advice then.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2011
Read 4 reviews
Normally what everyone is saying would be correct. When you test out a rubber it does take time to adjust as well as a new blade, but in this case because you are a beginner I would say ask yourself if you want to learn how to become better, or if you just want to take your current game and increase its level. If you want the former you need to switch out of the bryce and maybe put on sriver or any softer rubber that will help you with your control and spin. The blade should be plenty fast to keep up your agressive shots. Then when you're a bit more advanced you could switch back to the bryce on the forehand or backhand.

Beginners should not use faster rubbers or really hard rubbers because they lack the touch, control, and technique to adjust to proper shots and thus create terribly bad habits. If you however are only looking to having fun and playing at the same level more or less then it's simply about whatever feels good to you. If you're looking to grow as a player and raise your skill level then just go with the softer rubbers on both sides.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I am going to agree with Mr. RicharD here. The blade is good. Keep it. That is a great blade to learn the basics with. The Sriver FX is fine, keep that. I would get Sriver or Sriver FX for the forehand. If you are just starting to play with a racket of that quality, it will take some time getting used to if what you had been used to was a recreational racket. But there is no need for a rubber like Brice FX until you can loop consistently with Sriver FX.

It might be worth seeing if you can find a good coach and taking a lesson or two to see if you can find out what you need to work on. Truthfully training with a good coach is great and even though I said one or two lessons, if it can be a regular thing you will get better a lot faster.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2011
Read 4 reviews
@cmets - he could mean that his forehand is agressive, but his backhand is more defensive. So if he prefers to hit with his FH then he will likely be more offensive with it and defensive when he is forced to use his BH. Regardless his set up is not a bad one and bryce is used defensively all of the time look at Michael Maze. But it's technique that matters more than the equipment. He may not want the all around game, but truly needs to work a bit more if he wants to be able to use the Bryce most effectively.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2010
@cmets - he could mean that his forehand is agressive, but his backhand is more defensive. So if he prefers to hit with his FH then he will likely be more offensive with it and defensive when he is forced to use his BH. Regardless his set up is not a bad one and bryce is used defensively all of the time look at Michael Maze. But it's technique that matters more than the equipment. He may not want the all around game, but truly needs to work a bit more if he wants to be able to use the Bryce most effectively.

yeah that is true. but he said "i play sometimes offensive and sometimes defensive" so i assumed that meant sometimes aggressive looping sometimes chopping and pushing and stuff. but your interpretation could be correct too, who knows :p. i guess my main point is that a beginner who sometimes plays defensively is probably best off with something slower than bryce speed fx. the primorac blade is good though. definitely agree with you though that if he gets the technique down, then the BSFX can surely be used for offensive or defensive purposes

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2012
yeah that is true. but he said "i play sometimes offensive and sometimes defensive" so i assumed that meant sometimes aggressive looping sometimes chopping and pushing and stuff. but your interpretation could be correct too, who knows :p. i guess my main point is that a beginner who sometimes plays defensively is probably best off with something slower than bryce speed fx. the primorac blade is good though. definitely agree with you though that if he gets the technique down, then the BSFX can surely be used for offensive or defensive purposes
thanks for your advice and what mr richard told was correct