Why did rubber curl inward?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2021
Somebody gave me a racket and i never played with it for 20 years. I pealed it off and the rubber curled inwards badly. Why did it do that?

And any idea what rubber it is? Topsheet says ritc 729, but it has this green sponge.

says Buttefly Forever!!!
says Buttefly Forever!!!
Mar 2021
Somebody gave me a racket and i never played with it for 20 years. I pealed it off and the rubber curled inwards badly. Why did it do that?

And any idea what rubber it is? Topsheet says ritc 729, but it has this green sponge.

Most likely the rubber has been boosted and this is the side-effect of boosting rubber.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2021

I dont have any booster, so I tried layering on some baby oil to try to reverse the curl. I dont know if all the back and forth bending will damage the rubber.Â

says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020

I dont have any booster, so I tried layering on some baby oil to try to reverse the curl. I dont know if all the back and forth bending will damage the rubber.Â

Johnson baby oil will have the same effect as any other booster. Apply it thinly and let it completely dry for about 10 hours you might have to do this 3 times to get the rubber flat

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2018
Why are you trying to save a 20 year old rubber?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2021

Johnson baby oil will have the same effect as any other booster. Apply it thinly and let it completely dry for about 10 hours you might have to do this 3 times to get the rubber flat

I tried the baby oil on a couple rubbers just to see what happens. I think I put too much on a H2 sheet and it expanded about an inch beyond the end of the blade head. Also, it seems like the rubber became very soft and supple, like tortilla or naan bread. So rather than tense up, it seems to be limp? Is that normal effect of baby oil?

On the green 729 sponge, it did uncurl a little bit, but not all the way back. I think I put about 3 layers on it.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2021
Why are you trying to save a 20 year old rubber?

Im not so desperate to save the old rubber, Im just interested in learning more about the rubbers themselves. What makes rubbers fast or spinny, how they react to oil, why they curl, how they play, etc.

• Love
Reactions: lodro
says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020

Im not so desperate to save the old rubber, Im just interested in learning more about the rubbers themselves. What makes rubbers fast or spinny, how they react to oil, why they curl, how they play, etc.

😍 nothing wrong with a bit of experimenting and learning.
Different rubbers react differently to treatments, even same rubbers of same brand and same series.
For example : I unpacked a brand new Hurricane 3 and it was not quite flat but had a slight dome , the playing side was high.
I thought , just a light application of seamoon would ""straighten this out = nothing happened
So i applied another light dose and the bloody rubber curled into a tube 😁 It is stretching itself back slowly but now, 48 hours later it still has not recovered completely.
Just keep playing, what have you got to loose ????😁