TT Rating Systems

says Wangliqin Stop Spamming [IMG]
Oct 2010
I am accustomed to look at player ratings (!= rankings) with USA standards due to where Im playing - USA. Its not until recently I learned there are other ratings systems around the world, but I was unable to find a good reference point on Google. I'd really like to learn how each one works, to see and compare player levels on a more unified rating scale. I'd imagine it is similar to temp conversion in some way. With some help from you all maybe I can construct a better chart thats easily read for everyone.

Here are some basics:

First: country and govern body of such system
Second: range of ratings
Thrid: ratings process ( this part could be ugly, mainly about points spread between players, Expected/ Upset Result +/- scale )

This user has no status.
C

This user has no status.
im useless with the rating systems as well lookin foward to people explaing there rating system

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2010
Okay, I'm going to just give some personal experience with other rating systems.

I myself am about a USATT 1500 player. I have met a French 1500 rated player, and after playing in some tournaments, is rated about USATT 1800. I watched him almost defeat a USATT 2100 +/- 50 chopper, but he just tired out after the taking a 2-1 lead. I have also met a 1300 rated player from Belgium, they have not played any tournaments in the US but judging from their level of play, they would make about a USATT 1400-1600 level player.

Ratings are obscure to begin with, so translating ratings is not really a feasible task. :p

Oct 2010
@ jyechen, of course there are many side to it. Rating may not be the best skill level indicator out there, but its a lot better than plan catagory of : Beginner, Intermediate, advanced, elite, grand master and so on
Players improves all the time, and playing style matters as well, so things like 1300 upset a 2100 ( rare?) happens

since you brought it up, lets profile this

USATT, governing body : United States Table Tennis Association

Rating ranges from 100~2800+ (ref: http://www.usatt.org/member_rankings.shtml )
100 ~ 1000 Beginners
1100 ~ 1700 Intermediate
1800 ~ 2000 Experts
2100 ~ 2200 Master
2300 + Elite

Rating process: match point system (ref: http://www.usatt.org/ratings/ratingsprocess.html)
Points are gained and lost according to the rating difference between their two players, number of points exchanged by expect win or upsets. ranging 0 points to 50 points.

This user has no status.
Thanks, still trying to understand it

Yeah it's a complicated thing to work out really. Basically you determine the difference of ranking points between the players and then the amount of points won or lost is determined on the weighting of the tournament. If it is a high weighting tournament such as the national championships you will gain more for your win and lose more if you lose.

Also here is a link to a conversion table for some European countries - http://ttcdriveoostende.be/data/pdf/VERGELIJKINGSTABEL20102011.pdf

Hopefully this is helpful.

Last edited: