PDA

View Full Version : New Table Tennis Ball (REVIEW)

TableTennisDaily
04-07-2012, 12:56 PM
The new table tennis ball is expected to be put in place by 2014 in International competition. TTEDGE and TableTennisDaily member William Henzell did a review on the new table tennis ball. William Henzell was given a few packs of the new 'plastic' ball by Wang Liqin at the recent World Team Championships 2012!

https://www.tabletennisdaily.co.uk/forum/images/newballwillhenzell.jpg

***Latest Review***

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=rv_XlZvpm0g

Video below

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzo-PmL8IjA&feature=player_embedded

So what are your thoughts?

lgreggs
04-07-2012, 01:18 PM
This review is very insightful. Thanks William.

From the sounds of the review the new ball still has some way before it is good enough to replace the old celluloid balls. However, this ball actual looks like it will be good for the game. More rallies hopefully due to less spin and being able to hit through the ball more. Also, physical fitness will become a bigger factor in table tennis if this is the case.

WiWa
04-07-2012, 02:56 PM
This review is very insightful. Thanks William.

From the sounds of the review the new ball still has some way before it is good enough to replace the old celluloid balls. However, this ball actual looks like it will be good for the game. More rallies hopefully due to less spin and being able to hit through the ball more. Also, physical fitness will become a bigger factor in table tennis if this is the case.

That's true. If players adjust by choosing softer rubbers in order to get more grip on the ball, we will probably get longer rallies as well.

daxx101
04-07-2012, 03:32 PM
hope manufacturers creates the "perfect" plastic balls soon..

so guys do you will it be cheaper or pricier?

Matt Hetherington
04-07-2012, 03:33 PM
Well William seems to think it won't be a huge deal and that players will be able to adjust to it relatively quickly so I'm kind of glad, coming from him that makes me feel better about the new ball lol

YosuaYosan
04-07-2012, 03:50 PM
Something this important.. Must.. Post..

Alright..
First thing first, much thanks to the review, Sir William.
Its like finding an oasis in the middle of the desert.. Phew..

Even though it is still on dev, I do hope that it will be good for the sport even though much hate will manifest in the first few years of change..

True indeed, due to the longer rally and the new mechanism of the stroke, physical fitness will play a bigger role on our sport. Its sport anyway :)

I do hope that defenders could actually benefit or at least don't get smothered because of this change.

Once again, thank you Sir William its been great to hear that the new ball is not THAT bad :)

UpSideDownCarl
04-07-2012, 11:48 PM
Something this important.. Must.. Post..

Alright..
First thing first, much thanks to the review, Sir William.
Its like finding an oasis in the middle of the desert.. Phew..

Even though it is still on dev, I do hope that it will be good for the sport even though much hate will manifest in the first few years of change..

True indeed, due to the longer rally and the new mechanism of the stroke, physical fitness will play a bigger role on our sport. Its sport anyway :)

I do hope that defenders could actually benefit or at least don't get smothered because of this change.

Once again, thank you Sir William its been great to hear that the new ball is not THAT bad :)

Yosua, You are back, even for a short cameo. Good to hear from you. We all miss you. Hope your studies are going well. By the way, I love your new Avatar. :)

William, thank you so much for posting this. This is a great video to show us what the new ball is like and you give great details. I really appreciate the time you took for this. Thanks again.

PingPonger
04-08-2012, 02:07 AM
Does it still fits on the old rubbers?

UpSideDownCarl
04-08-2012, 02:22 AM
Does it still fits on the old rubbers?

I don't get what this post means. Does the new ball fit on the old rubbers? What are you trying to ask?

MildSeven
04-08-2012, 04:36 AM
Thanks, this is great info.

DustinZ
04-08-2012, 04:48 AM
Wow, about time something like this has been posted! I'm mostly curious as to serving, it looks like a lot of the people had trouble getting the ball to go over the net. Is this due to the fact that this ball is less grippy than the celluloid ball? And does it match up with the posts from some time ago about how some said it was just harder in general to generate spin with the new ball, especially with going for heavy backspin serves?

ttEDGE - William
04-08-2012, 08:24 AM
We had another short go at training yesterday with the plastic ball. I did a heavy backspin tomahawk serve and the opponent just tried to push it back on the table. I did 1 serve with the plastic ball and 1 serve with the celluloid ball, over and over again. There was a massive difference. Much less spin with the plastic ball.

daxx101
04-08-2012, 08:40 AM
We had another short go at training yesterday with the plastic ball. I did a heavy backspin tomahawk serve and the opponent just tried to push it back on the table. I did 1 serve with the plastic ball and 1 serve with the celluloid ball, over and over again. There was a massive difference. Much less spin with the plastic ball.

what do you think should be done to the ball or to other equipment's William? as you used already the ball.

judah000
04-08-2012, 09:48 AM
The review is very informative. But the ball maybe be quite hard but as the video has shown it is not that firm or sturdy.

UpSideDownCarl
04-08-2012, 10:00 AM

Much less spin is not so good in a sport where spin is everything.

harrybelafonte
04-08-2012, 10:58 AM
Dumbed down...

judah000
04-08-2012, 11:16 AM
Much less spin is not so good in a sport where spin is everything.

Yup, Spin is a very important factor in table tennis.

I wonder how Joo se hyuk would adapt to the new balls

azlan
04-08-2012, 02:23 PM
New balls, means new technology in rubber development. The same thing happened after the speed glue ban:)

MundoTT
04-08-2012, 06:28 PM
WOW interesting :P how change the game of we now :P
sorry for my english :P

UpSideDownCarl
04-09-2012, 12:31 PM
Hopefully they keep working on the product. If the ball gets significantly less spin than a celluloid ball, I don't care what changes they make to rubbers, it will not be very good for the sport.

Anders123
04-09-2012, 02:38 PM
How come that this ball has less spin? Is it because it grips less when it hits the rubber or is it because it grips less when it hits the table or what is it?

jmillsy2
04-10-2012, 08:15 AM
my mate reckons this ball will kill defenders- i hope he's wrong! :( what do we think the effects will be on defenders? its not looking good at the moment i cant wait till these go on sale to try them!

ersin001
04-10-2012, 01:06 PM
we might all turn into counter hitters , so we wont be effected by the future changes ,,,, its easy to say that its easy to adjust when youre #1 Australian,, what is an average looper gonna do...

UpSideDownCarl
04-10-2012, 01:33 PM
If it gets less spin it will kill everyone and the whole art of playing. It will only be good for basement players who do not know how to spin the ball or respond to spin. :)

I think the reason the ball is getting less spin is that PVC is a very slippery substance, much more slippery than celluloid. So the rubber has nothing to grip because the ball creates no friction against the rubber. Which is also why mechanical spin, which is when the ball sinks in to the rubber so the rubber can grab the ball, might be what is working to spin the ball the most effectively, whereas tacky rubbers do not seem to spin the PVC balls well at all.

barca
04-17-2012, 10:29 PM
Not to sure, new ball means new technique and strategies to apply????

daxx101
04-18-2012, 06:18 PM
yeah..new strokes..new movement..new equipments?

hus
11-04-2012, 10:22 AM
They should make it spinnier not the other way. This seems like they're just trying to imitate tennis now, it takes away the identity of the game. If someone asked me how table tennis was different from tennis I would say the spin is much more dominant in table tennis. This just makes it looks like a pathetic gimmick of tennis. I really hope I'm wrong and this will make the game better. But as I see it now, a lot of people stick to playing table tennis because there is a great learning curve and the more you play the better you'll get. There is a big factor of fitness as it is but at least the game does not exclude the unfit entirely. I am not so sure if I would be playing table tennis if it was just a 'table' version of tennis.

hus
11-04-2012, 10:27 AM
This seems like an attempt to move the game towards 'hardbat' without impacting on rubber sales. All the criticism aside, i think my playing style means I will probably play a lot better with the new ball :). Trouble is i'm not sure if I'll enjoy it as much:confused:

RIPPER
11-04-2012, 10:11 PM
the ball issue is still being developed in the factories, so will be interesting when they finally settle on an acceptable one!

ttdotcom
01-25-2013, 02:40 AM
not coooooooooool

derekho
01-27-2013, 11:52 PM
Would the new plastic ball be better for jpen users since there's less spin?

ttunreal
01-28-2013, 12:19 AM
This guy, part of the Preston Table Tennis Association, by the YouTube name of PathfinderPro made quite a deep analysis into the new ball, including trying to break down the physical attributes of the ball and the speed, spin etc. of the new ball compared to the old 38mm ball and the current 40mm one. He also has Part 2 & 3 on his channel in consecutive order after this one, so you guys might want to check that out so you have a better insight into this new polyball issue. Note that his analysis is NOT COMPLETELY ACCURATE as he said in the video, as it has not been tested in scientific laboratory, but it's an overall analysis of the ball's performance.

Here's the video :) He has a lot of useful and interesting table tennis content on his channel, so be sure to check those out as well!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rv_XlZvpm0g

XIII
01-28-2013, 06:46 AM
I have a feeling that the balls are going to feel like my plastic table tennis balls at home...

YosuaYosan
01-28-2013, 05:26 PM
Part 2 and 3 has been uploaded for quite a while now:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9jlzkQW7Po

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7JBr08kSAiI

Chen Xxinhuaa
02-21-2013, 05:20 PM
Okey plastic. So give a medium pimples. And i want play to 15 points 3 to serve :)

Dan
10-16-2013, 11:13 AM
Any updates on the new ball guys?

Lorre
10-16-2013, 11:41 AM
Any updates on the new ball guys?

It's gonna be named the 40+ ball. I think that says enough.

Dan
10-16-2013, 12:05 PM
It's gonna be named the 40+ ball. I think that says enough.

Interesting. I wonder whe prototypes come out...

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy

jijoe123
10-16-2013, 12:46 PM
With these changes in the development oif new balls....the next we would expect is the development of new generation rubbers and blades to suit the balls specs or at least???

Matt Hetherington
10-16-2013, 10:29 PM
I heard that the plastic ball already had patents on it so they were restricted in their plans to begin production, as far as I'm aware the plastic ball won't be released in 2014.

Tony's Table Tennis
10-16-2013, 11:40 PM
I heard that the plastic ball already had patents on it so they were restricted in their plans to begin production, as far as I'm aware the plastic ball won't be released in 2014.

Agree.
I heard the same thing.

Huge battle going on, and for "time to market", things are very delayed for 1 July 2014.

massa
02-01-2014, 11:51 AM
Let's hope it will take long to be released :p

aLeX-12345
02-01-2014, 07:54 PM
apparently, the new balls aren't as good because they are slower and easier to brake.

(but i don't know if its true;))

massa
02-01-2014, 08:20 PM
Soon I'll get a couple of them. Let's see how they perform...

aLeX-12345
02-03-2014, 06:44 AM
Soon I'll get a couple of them. Let's see how they perform...

tell me how that goes

massa
02-03-2014, 08:42 PM
Ok, let's see how long will they take from Hong-Kong to Portugal :p

tOmmyDbOY66
07-08-2014, 05:28 PM
why do they need to change the ball

lani9loo
07-09-2014, 07:56 AM
Hey everyone - having now had a go with the latest version (July 2014) of the Tibhar 40+ plastic ball, i have to say that my experience was very very confusing. First and foremost yes the ball spins allot less. But more interestingly you can get a good amount of spin, but by the time it has reached your opponent the spin is much less than with our traditional balls. I found my self having to play as if i was playing an antispin player. Instead of the ball returning with spin it returned to me like a floated ball, and this meant i had to hit through the ball more, or if I wanted to add more spin i had to change my stroke to more of an upwards and forwards movement. Everything i have tried to get out of my game, i found myself having to redeploy some of my older moves to make an impact on the game (hence my confusion). It took a while to get used to, but I would have to say it will change our game and create a far longer rally. I can see a lot of players giving up the sport as you will need to be much much fitter to play at a higher level, as each game moves along you will find yourself in a lot more than before. Let's give it a chance, table tennis is a great sport and I can kinda see what the ITTF are trying to do with this new ball, and it's to make TT more appealing and in some ways more entertaining with longer rallies. I play in a league in the UK (Bournemouth) and there is also a lot of buzz mainly negative about this ball, but having now played with it i can see that if I adjust and to be honest i like being in rallies, then I will give it a chance. When you first play with it, just keep in mind that there is going to be less spin but that doesn't mean to say you can't add any, it just means you have to change your stroke slightly and be a little more patient. I'm not sure if this has helped or just confuse, but this was my experience. :)

Tony's Table Tennis
07-09-2014, 09:39 AM
why do they need to change the ball

Because no other country wants to make celluliod balls but China.
EU banned Celluiod in toys as early as 2006 already

Too many fires caused from celluliod explosution in the factories is one of the major reasons why factories support this move.

Zaccai
08-07-2019, 12:17 PM
Why is this topping the thread?