6 edges and 8 edges cut

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2011
Read 4 reviews
This is primarily a myth. Somewhere along the line dealers or retailers created this myth to provide consumers a higher priced product. It is very easily to mistake one for the other because of something fabricated. It is a basic guide that if a dealer has good connections they can get rubber for cheaper in Provincial than National. Some dealers however ask their connections at DHS to cut the "4 edge" National versions into "8 edge" commercial versions so that they can get a better margin. If you got to a TT shop the "4 edge" should never be sold there and primarily should mostly be out of stock or on back order because it's very hard to get it. Provincial is a bit better than Commercial, but again it's not always cut to 6 edges depending on the dealers connections. You can find 4, 6, or 8 edge rubber all in provincial, national, or commercial you just have to know your dealers well.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
When they say 6 or 8 edges, the corners of what would have been a square have been cut off. So, you start with a square sheet of rubber and cut two of the corners at an angle and you have 6 edges--4 long edges and 2 short edges. If you start with a square sheet of rubber and cut all 4 corners at an angle you have 8 edges--4 long edges and 4 short edges.

Photo of 6 edges:

ttnpp_SANY1780.jpg

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
So what are the purposes of those edges?

I have heard things like this:

Hi. There are 3 versions of the Hurricane 3. Starting with the best quality: 4 edges National version. (Chinese national team). 6 edges Provincial version. 8 edges commercial version.

According to this,

4 edges would mean National version which is the highest quality. It is what the National team uses in China.

6 edges would mean it is the Provincial version, which is the next highest quality. It is what they give to the players on the Provincial teams which is one step lower than the National team.

And 8 edges would be the Commercial version which is the lowest quality version, the one with the least amount of quality control. These are the least expensive and the easiest to get. When you get the Provincial or National versions, I think this is because it went through the team to a distributer rather than just being released on the market by DHS.

However, What Mr. RicharD said might be right. I really have no idea and anyone could cut the edges on the rubbers.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I don't get it. Why would anyone cut the edges? If I have a 4 edges (national version, most expensive and the best), why would I want to cut it into 6 (provincial) or 8 edges (commercial), and ended up having to sell it at a lower price?

Yeah, I don't get why a distributor would cut the edges and make it appear to be worth less either. But I have no idea if DHS cuts the edges to distinguish or if other people have done this. And I really have no idea why a dealer would take a 4 edged rubber and cut it to 6 or 8 and make it seem to be worth less.

But, Mr. RicharD still might be right that the number of edges has nothing to do with the rubber. I don't really know.

It would be sort of silly for a dealer to cut edges so they have to sell the rubber for less though. :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2011
Read 4 reviews
The quality control of the rubber is supposed to be the best at National, semi good at Provincial, and random at Commercial. Meaning rubbers can bubble, may have different degrees of hardness compared to the same types of rubber (c, p, n) or even just have different material in its makeup entirely (fake rubber). It is not about cutting the National rubber down to become commercial for a better profit margin, it is more about helping out a friend by giving them a profit margin. Commercial typically costs dealers $10-$15 USD or around 50 % of retail. National retails for $130 in H3 currently and to buy at wholesale it costs $100, so depending on a dealer's connections you can ask them to cut it to commercial guidelines and they can sell it for $30-$50 to their dealers making a profit which they can pocket, and also the dealers can sell the rubber for discount at around $100.00 or so and still make huge profits. Because CNT rubber is made for players, the players can drive the price up if they ask for more per sheet, where the DHS connections can provide a more convenient cost effective source.

It's all about connections and quality control. So you just really have to know your dealer well when buying from them as they in turn need to know their connections well so that they don't get ripped off.

This user has no status.
it is more about helping out a friend by giving them a profit margin. Commercial typically costs dealers $10-$15 USD or around 50 % of retail. National retails for $130 in H3 currently and to buy at wholesale it costs $100, so depending on a dealer's connections you can ask them to cut it to commercial guidelines and they can sell it for $30-$50 to their dealers making a profit which they can pocket, and also the dealers can sell the rubber for discount at around $100.00 or so and still make huge profits.

Sorry Mr. Richards but IMO this does not make sense. Even to help a friend I do not see why a company would cut a rubber. Even the good connection the 4 edges is like a gurantee that it is a National H3. Otherwise, I could tell anyone I have good connections and that I have the national version which was opened just to boost it with a professional booster(Dianchi Booster) and do not pay attention to the 8 edges that it has that it was cut like that in order not to have problems in customs..

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2011
Read 4 reviews
Yes, but the stamp on the sponge typically proves it is National. It's not the company that is doing this it is a few workers that may take this risk and just change the inventory numbers. You guy shave to realize that Chinese factories don't always have the most ethical employees. Some if not most would likely take advantage of the company if they knew they could make a quick profit. The problem lies in whether or not they're able to get away with it and only a few are. They obviously cannot sell loads of National rubber as commercial, but a dozen sheets every 2-3 months won't go missing considering how much they make for the CNT (typically 20 sheets per month per player for A team and 10 sheets per month per player per lower team).

The retail price has risen because players who don't use all of their supplied rubber want to make some profit and they know most dealers cannot get it elsewhere. I don't really have to explain the process that in detail, but just know that it's true. Regardless of whether it makes sense or whether it is ethical, it happens and not just in this company, but I'd be willing to bet just about any large manufacturer has a few employees who take advantage of the company in similar ways.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2011
The quality control of the rubber is supposed to be the best at National, semi good at Provincial, and random at Commercial. Meaning rubbers can bubble, may have different degrees of hardness compared to the same types of rubber (c, p, n) or even just have different material in its makeup entirely (fake rubber). It is not about cutting the National rubber down to become commercial for a better profit margin, it is more about helping out a friend by giving them a profit margin. Commercial typically costs dealers $10-$15 USD or around 50 % of retail. National retails for $130 in H3 currently and to buy at wholesale it costs $100, so depending on a dealer's connections you can ask them to cut it to commercial guidelines and they can sell it for $30-$50 to their dealers making a profit which they can pocket, and also the dealers can sell the rubber for discount at around $100.00 or so and still make huge profits. Because CNT rubber is made for players, the players can drive the price up if they ask for more per sheet, where the DHS connections can provide a more convenient cost effective source.

It's all about connections and quality control. So you just really have to know your dealer well when buying from them as they in turn need to know their connections well so that they don't get ripped off.

Not sure where your getting your national H3 at, but from what I've found the yellow sponge is not to hard to come by (in china) for around 300-400RMB which is roughly $47-$63 and the store still makes a profit. The blue sponge national however, is much harder to find and has no real set price, so it could easily go as high as $100-$150 for a new sheet.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2011
Not sure where your getting your national H3 at, but from what I've found the yellow sponge is not to hard to come by (in china) for around 300-400RMB which is roughly $47-$63 and the store still makes a profit. The blue sponge national however, is much harder to find and has no real set price, so it could easily go as high as $100-$150 for a new sheet.

It may need to clarify for which version of National H3, neo or non-neo. Because DHS they have left over for many H3 national sheet since post speed glue ban. And since last or last two years ago, they begin to selling those H3 national on their own and legit taobao website. Which is about 40-60USD range, the exact price I have forgotten. But usually if you want to check if it is Neo or Non-neo, the white color is most likely a non-Neo version.