The 'power' of the block

says Waldner Masterclass out now! 🏓
says Waldner Masterclass out now! 🏓
Administrator
Oct 2010
Many Table Tennis professionals now attack with an extreme forehand and backhand topspin, however it is important to not underestimated the 'power' of the block!

Thanks to youtuber GecaPhoenix for this wonderful video of Jan Ove Waldner and his incredible blocks!

waldnerblock.jpg

Photo by: Getty Images

Enjoy! :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2011
That last point just has Waldner written all over it, LGL plays an amazing round the net forehand and Waldner just gives it zero respect lol

The best part is that he deliberately sets it up for LGL. The spin he plays is so curled outwards and so slow that he knows LGL will get to it and hit it around the net. He was just setting up a beast shot for himself, and LGL coöperated without knowing it xD

says [IMG]
Blocking is very underrated imho.
A good, fast block can put the attacker in a difficult position. Often, I let my opponent attack first and return with an aggressive block. Most of the time they respond with another topspin, but this one is often not accurate or fast enough. I have enough time to place myself in a good position to play spin-over-spin and take the role of attacker.

says hAHAHAHA THANX MATE :D
says hAHAHAHA THANX MATE :D
Mar 2011
I am afraid that would ruin Ma Longs winning streak ;-)

Hahahaha Though I doubt it but it could happen you know! Just like when Sampras beat Federer, and after that, Roger lost quite a number of matches. As if the other pros took noticed what Sampras did, and used it against Roger:).

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
It is funny how, on that last shot against Liou Gouliang, he is just waiting there, upright, totally cocky, knowing what is going to happen. And then after he makes the block, he just walks off, totally cocky. I kind of love it.

It actually reminds me a bit of that football player (soccer for people in my country) that someone posted a video of. This was a while ago and I cannot remember who it was. I want to say Messi but I really cannot remember. He kicked the ball from a decent distance, knew it was going in, and just stopped right there and raised his hands as though the ball had already gone in. Totally cocky but in a good way. If someone remembers that video and thread, repost it please. It was a great shot. :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Super Moderator
Mar 2012
Read 20 reviews
Hahahaha Though I doubt it but it could happen you know! Just like when Sampras beat Federer, and after that, Roger lost quite a number of matches. As if the other pros took noticed what Sampras did, and used it against Roger:).

Oh yeah that's a good example! Anyway it could be awesome see that match no matter what the outcome would be :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2011
It is funny how, on that last shot against Liou Gouliang, he is just waiting there, upright, totally cocky, knowing what is going to happen. And then after he makes the block, he just walks off, totally cocky. I kind of love it.

It actually reminds me a bit of that football player (soccer for people in my country) that someone posted a video of. This was a while ago and I cannot remember who it was. I want to say Messi but I really cannot remember. He kicked the ball from a decent distance, knew it was going in, and just stopped right there and raised his hands as though the ball had already gone in. Totally cocky but in a good way. If someone remembers that video and thread, repost it please. It was a great shot. :)

I think you mean Cantona's goal:

Here's another nice one of him :p