PDA

View Full Version : The 'power' of the block

TableTennisDaily
04-09-2012, 06:25 PM
Many Table Tennis professionals now attack with an extreme forehand and backhand topspin, however it is important to not underestimated the 'power' of the block!

Thanks to youtuber GecaPhoenix for this wonderful video of Jan Ove Waldner and his incredible blocks!

https://www.tabletennisdaily.co.uk/forum/images/waldnerblock.jpg
Photo by: Getty Images

Enjoy! :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aObGO9Eom9w&feature=g-all-u&context=G22feda0FAAAAAAAAEAA

TTKHerckenrode
04-09-2012, 06:41 PM
holy cow the last ball is just unbelieveable he take is it with out any difficulties thats THE BEST player ever!

TableTennisDaily
04-09-2012, 06:47 PM
holy cow the last ball is just unbelieveable he take is it with out any difficulties thats THE BEST player ever!

Haha he is like a mutant on that last ball!

T1bH4r
04-09-2012, 07:22 PM
i like Valder because he isnt a robot and he has a unique style!

Anders123
04-09-2012, 08:12 PM
A really nice video from Geca! This just shows so perfectly what it was that made Waldner so good. He maybe didn't had the hardest shot but he had an incredible overview, and he was just so calm even though he was beeing looped at.

ays4real
04-09-2012, 08:17 PM
Such an amazing player......

Giangt
04-09-2012, 08:29 PM
Every time I make a power block and win the point I shout WALDNER! :D

Matt Hetherington
04-10-2012, 01:44 AM
That last point just has Waldner written all over it, LGL plays an amazing round the net forehand and Waldner just gives it zero respect lol

ttmedari
04-10-2012, 05:59 AM
how could he..?!

judah000
04-10-2012, 06:07 AM
it is just normal for the Mozart of Table Tennis.LOL

WiWa
04-10-2012, 08:03 AM
That last point just has Waldner written all over it, LGL plays an amazing round the net forehand and Waldner just gives it zero respect lol

The best part is that he deliberately sets it up for LGL. The spin he plays is so curled outwards and so slow that he knows LGL will get to it and hit it around the net. He was just setting up a beast shot for himself, and LGL coöperated without knowing it xD

azlan
04-10-2012, 08:40 AM
TT players should do an exhibition matches for a good cause, just like tennis players. It's the only way I can see how Waldner is, up against Ma Long hahaha

Giangt
04-10-2012, 09:17 AM
TT players should do an exhibition matches for a good cause, just like tennis players. It's the only way I can see how Waldner is, up against Ma Long hahaha

I am afraid that would ruin Ma Longs winning streak ;-)

P1ngP0ng3r
04-10-2012, 10:29 AM
Blocking is very underrated imho.
A good, fast block can put the attacker in a difficult position. Often, I let my opponent attack first and return with an aggressive block. Most of the time they respond with another topspin, but this one is often not accurate or fast enough. I have enough time to place myself in a good position to play spin-over-spin and take the role of attacker.

azlan
04-10-2012, 11:41 AM
I am afraid that would ruin Ma Longs winning streak ;-)

Hahahaha Though I doubt it but it could happen you know! Just like when Sampras beat Federer, and after that, Roger lost quite a number of matches. As if the other pros took noticed what Sampras did, and used it against Roger:).

UpSideDownCarl
04-10-2012, 12:17 PM
Using the other person's power against them tactically makes a lot of sense in table tennis when it is possible. Waldner is amazing at doing this. Nice video.

daxx101
04-10-2012, 01:05 PM
that last part was just walderesque!

UpSideDownCarl
04-10-2012, 02:30 PM
It is funny how, on that last shot against Liou Gouliang, he is just waiting there, upright, totally cocky, knowing what is going to happen. And then after he makes the block, he just walks off, totally cocky. I kind of love it.

It actually reminds me a bit of that football player (soccer for people in my country) that someone posted a video of. This was a while ago and I cannot remember who it was. I want to say Messi but I really cannot remember. He kicked the ball from a decent distance, knew it was going in, and just stopped right there and raised his hands as though the ball had already gone in. Totally cocky but in a good way. If someone remembers that video and thread, repost it please. It was a great shot. :)

Giangt
04-10-2012, 02:56 PM
Hahahaha Though I doubt it but it could happen you know! Just like when Sampras beat Federer, and after that, Roger lost quite a number of matches. As if the other pros took noticed what Sampras did, and used it against Roger:).

Oh yeah that's a good example! Anyway it could be awesome see that match no matter what the outcome would be :)

WiWa
04-10-2012, 03:19 PM
It is funny how, on that last shot against Liou Gouliang, he is just waiting there, upright, totally cocky, knowing what is going to happen. And then after he makes the block, he just walks off, totally cocky. I kind of love it.

It actually reminds me a bit of that football player (soccer for people in my country) that someone posted a video of. This was a while ago and I cannot remember who it was. I want to say Messi but I really cannot remember. He kicked the ball from a decent distance, knew it was going in, and just stopped right there and raised his hands as though the ball had already gone in. Totally cocky but in a good way. If someone remembers that video and thread, repost it please. It was a great shot. :)

I think you mean Cantona's goal:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8SOlRGzhus

Here's another nice one of him :p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zr-B7vk_o_k

UpSideDownCarl
04-10-2012, 03:43 PM
I think you mean Cantona's goal:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8SOlRGzhus

Here's another nice one of him :p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zr-B7vk_o_k

That looks like it is the one. I figured you would remember it. Thanks WiWa. I love that goal. The other goal you posted is pretty cool also. :) He has a lot of control. It is kind of crazy how much control he has. That is good stuff. Very artistic.

JustAlt
04-10-2012, 08:58 PM
The second goal just seems like they let him make it because it was a memorial match..

WiWa
04-10-2012, 09:43 PM
The second goal just seems like they let him make it because it was a memorial match..

I don't know what match it was, but looking at the actions of the bald defender, you could be right lol..

yurybarquero
04-11-2012, 03:10 AM
Both goals were awesome and for the second goal I don´t think they let him score it.

yurybarquero
04-11-2012, 03:48 AM
Waldner was amazing with the control that he had.
It would be awesome to see JO Waldner get in shape and play against Ma Long. Unfortunately I doubt i will happen.
And here is a goal that I like a lot:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ncFxq8qrOeA&feature=related

GeMaCa
04-11-2012, 04:37 AM
Waldner is really an amazing player. He desearves to be called "Greatest player of all times."

UpSideDownCarl
04-11-2012, 04:39 AM
Waldner was amazing with the control that he had.
It would be awesome to see JO Waldner get in shape and play against Ma Long. Unfortunately I doubt i will happen.
And here is a goal that I like a lot:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ncFxq8qrOeA&feature=related

He fooled the camera man with how good is footwork was. :)

But Waldner's back is not good enough to compete at the highest levels any more. That is one thing about sports, you can never take someone who was the best in one era and have him/her play the best from another era. The older athlete is always past his prime. Even Ma Long playing Wang Liqin is a mismatch at this point and Wang Liqin, who was great in his time, is 13 years younger than Waldner.

azlan
04-11-2012, 10:55 AM
How about a video of the best around the net shots, and get us to vote?:)

Giangt
04-11-2012, 12:28 PM
How about a video of the best around the net shots, and get us to vote?:)

WORD! But lets stick to the topic and have a best block points until now :)

UpSideDownCarl
04-11-2012, 12:43 PM
The skill and control of the footwork in some of those great football clips really does remind me of the skill and control of the spin and the table that Waldner exhibits. He is really a magician.

Also, Eric Cantona's celebration after the first goal reminds me exactly of how Waldner walks off after that shot at the end against Liu Gouliang. Both understated and overstated because of the bravado of the self-assuredness. Waldner is just standing there waiting for Liu Gouliang's around the net shot, which, against almost anyone else would have been a out and out winner. He is just standing upright waiting in the right position and he just blocks it back easy, where Gouliang is not going to get it. And he is just standing there upright, with a haughty expression and then just walks to the side. And Cantona, right after he kicks the ball, he just stands upright and watches, like he knows it is going to be perfectly in the corner of the net. And he stands and watches his shot. And then he casually turns around and raises his arms with that same kind of expression. I have to say, I love it. :)

Anders123
04-11-2012, 12:55 PM
I just saw that ITTF had shared this video on facebook! :)

fongchengloy
04-12-2012, 02:47 PM
If you remember the former 11 times England Champion; Desmond Dougles. He always advise table tennis player to 'learn to block or else..', his interpretation is that if you can't block a shot, how can you effectively go for a kill?

azlan
04-12-2012, 06:10 PM
Nice way to put it Fong :) I like that one...

Giangt
04-12-2012, 10:25 PM
Loop to Loop? :)