Rubber for backhand

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2012
Hi Guys,
Needed some advice for my choice of rubber for backhand. I am using stiga allround evolution with Mark V on bothe forehand and backhand. On backhand am facing trouble with Mark V to loop the sharp backspins. I am thinking of using Stiga Mendo MP on my backhand. Please suggest the pros and cons.

Thanks,
Devesh

says http://www.cornilleau-competition.com/EN/index.html
Mar 2011
Read 8 reviews
you should practice first with the current set up you have. it takes a lot of practice to do it. but if you really want to change it, go for new generation rubber like tenergy because they are made for the speed glue/40mm ball era not like the mendo

Maybe, but not if he is a beginner. So sir, if you told us your level and how long you have played it would be easier for us to suggest anything.

But for a start:

Beginners: Butterfly Sriver (L, EL or FX)

Played for some while: Butterfly Roundell or Sriver G3

Semi-pro level and up: Butterfly Tenergy, Bryce Speed, or an tensor BIOS rubber by ESN factory ;)

Ofc there is differece in what you prefer, what playing style you have and what you are willing to spend... But that is what I would recommend. Also STIGA, Donic and Andro has nice rubbers.. But I think Butterfly has the ones that are easiest to describe :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2012
Hi Guys,
Needed some advice for my choice of rubber for backhand. I am using stiga allround evolution with Mark V on bothe forehand and backhand. On backhand am facing trouble with Mark V to loop the sharp backspins. I am thinking of using Stiga Mendo MP on my backhand. Please suggest the pros and cons.

Thanks,
Devesh

You should try TENSOR rubber such as those from Palio, Andro, Donic, Xiom but choose soft to medium hardness.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Maybe, but not if he is a beginner. So sir, if you told us your level and how long you have played it would be easier for us to suggest anything.

But for a start:

Beginners: Butterfly Sriver (L, EL or FX)

Played for some while: Butterfly Roundell or Sriver G3

Semi-pro level and up: Butterfly Tenergy, Bryce Speed, or an tensor BIOS rubber by ESN factory ;)

Ofc there is differece in what you prefer, what playing style you have and what you are willing to spend... But that is what I would recommend. Also STIGA, Donic and Andro has nice rubbers.. But I think Butterfly has the ones that are easiest to describe :)

Great post Anders. This is very good information and I would stick with this.

For the Beginner, a softer version of Sriver, like Sriver FX, might help you pick the ball up better, if you are using Mark V, which is a lot like the regular version of Sriver.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2012
Thanks for inputs guys. I have been playing table tennis for 9 years now, have represented my university in the nationals. Used to play with Mark V since my coaching days. I tried chinese rubbers H3 & H3 Neo last year but coudn't adjust my angles, a lot of grazing motion is required and also because of their hardness its difficult to adjust ( and that weird sound on blocks ofcourse :) ).

My playing style :
Its offensive mostly on the mid distance from table. A lot of forehand looping.
Backhand : I want a rubber that's good for blocking top spins(little harder then mark v but less than chinese), and for loops on backspin.

says hAHAHAHA THANX MATE :D
Mar 2011
I'm using Xiom Vega Pro for my BH, and it has serve me well. In fact I've gone through 3 of them. This is my 4th Vega Pro. They're harder than Europe and Asia version, but it suits me well. You can try the Xiom Sigma or Omega Euro version. Nice soft sponge with tensor rubbers.

Mar 2011
Read 8 reviews
Thanks for inputs guys. I have been playing table tennis for 9 years now, have represented my university in the nationals. Used to play with Mark V since my coaching days. I tried chinese rubbers H3 & H3 Neo last year but coudn't adjust my angles, a lot of grazing motion is required and also because of their hardness its difficult to adjust ( and that weird sound on blocks ofcourse :) ).

My playing style :
Its offensive mostly on the mid distance from table. A lot of forehand looping.
Backhand : I want a rubber that's good for blocking top spins(little harder then mark v but less than chinese), and for loops on backspin.

This helps a lot. If you are practising at least 6-7 times a week, I would recommend Tenergy. But if you are practising less, and have played for some years so that you can controll your strokes and the ball, then I think that you should really try out the Butterfly Roundell or the Butterfly Sriver G3, they are easy to control and you can also put in a lot of spin and speed if you need to :)

Mar 2011
Read 8 reviews
This helps a lot. If you are practising at least 6-7 times a week, I would recommend Tenergy. But if you are practising less, and have played for some years so that you can controll your strokes and the ball, then I think that you should really try out the Butterfly Roundell or the Butterfly Sriver G3, they are easy to control and you can also put in a lot of spin and speed if you need to :)

Oh, and I forgot to mention: What blade you play can have a lot to say about the rubbers playing characteristics. If you play a softer blade and a medium rubber it should be easier to lift the ball. If the blade is really fast, then it might be more difficult to controll and so on... So maybe this should be taken into consideration? ;)

Mar 2011
Read 8 reviews
I just love tenergies....there's a big "but" though, they're expensive!:) Anders, you're quite right with the set-up. My current set-up is the best ever for me..but what may be perfect for me, may not be for others.:)

Yes I have the same opinion. But, for myself, my current blade are a bit too fast... So I'm changing to the Butterfly Primorac Off- soon. But you have played for many years Azlan, so you know what you want and like. You can handle the speed. Devesh hasn't told us about his level, so we can't really do anything else than general suggestions based on different levels :) But you are right Azlan, if you are able to take out the max from it, the Tenergy rubbers are the best! :)

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
There is speed, and there is speed to way too quick rebound and next to Zero dwell. I got rid of every Galaxy T-Series (acquired through trades) carbon blades for this reason. Even with a super-soft sponged rubber, there wasn't enough dwell to feel and control the ball to impart spin without slapping the scheize outta the ball. Not my cup of tea.

I was looking for a backup blade to my TBS and went to Nexy Tak9.com HQ itself in SE Seoul. I got me a Nexy Oscar Arlyte Carbon blade. I tested this blade (EDIT in 2010) and liked it a lot, except that ball came off the balde faster than I liked. I couldn't really play the style i like 100%. After another 1.5 years training, I have improved a ton and have handled on teh TBS one of the fastest rubber out there - Calibra LT. So, Oscar OK for me now? Nope. Tried it, still too much fast rebound for me.

Is BTY Primorac Carbon a very fast blade with Calibra & Aurus? You bet your lunch it is. Can I handle it? Given that I couldn't properly handle Oscar is essentially the same speed? (Sounds too much like a cartoon) Yes, I can. It is now in my case as the official backup. The Oscar is just as fast, but more solid less dwell. Got the used blade from a friend who didn't like it. His loss, my gain.

A small example of different aspects of fast. We tend to value fast as top end speed or the speed of the ball after it is hit compared to another balde.

Devesh K, a stable rubber for BH that is bargain price is 40 degree Dawei XP 2008 Super Power at well under $10 USD a sheet. Not for FH, unless all you can get by without a lot of power.
Your Fh has a ton of options. I am recently recommending Tibhar Aurus, Tibhar Genius, and Calibra series rubbers for FH attackers. You will find a lot of suitable choices at 1/2 the price of Tenergy if money is a problem for equipment.

XP2008 will block well on just about any blade, I do that a lot on BH. Blocking performance is more blade and technique dependent than rubber, unless that rubber is soft as mush.

Mar 2011
In the last 7 months I've gone through 3 Vega Pros for my BH. Two of them bubbled in the middle where the rubber detached from the sponge and split. The other one chipped all over at the edges. They're a bit brittle.

As for my Calibra, I've gone trough 4 in the last 6 months, all of them bubbled in the middle. I kept the current set up because it's the best for me. :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2012
In the last 7 months I've gone through 3 Vega Pros for my BH. Two of them bubbled in the middle where the rubber detached from the sponge and split. The other one chipped all over at the edges. They're a bit brittle.

As for my Calibra, I've gone trough 4 in the last 6 months, all of them bubbled in the middle. I kept the current set up because it's the best for me. :)

All Xiom rubber that comes with Carbon-sponge has built-in glue and I think the formula used in formulating the built-in glue is not perfect yet unlike the normal sponge type be it Japanese, German or Chinese made, they do not bubble-up at all. If you can remember Stiga has Carbonized sponge like the Alamana and they do not bubble-up. Many of my club players complained about Xiom carbon-sponge.

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Usually, the bubbles are from two causes.

1. The topsheet seperates from poor gluing at factory. I have had this happen with some Chinese rubbers, especially Galaxy Apollo.

2. The player hits with such hard impact, over time the topsheet breaks a pimple from the topsheet, then the rest fall like dominoes in the sweetspot of the rubber.
Some rubbers, this happens faster than others. Gambler Outlaw has this happen to the players who hit very hard.
I hit very hard and have not had this happen with any of my primary rubbers, only a few of the Chinese rubbers.
This can happen to ANY rubber if you hit hard enough over time.
Graze looping, like in heavy slow loops bends the pimples inside a bit, but usually doesn't cause them to break. There isn't enough impulse shock for that.

Often, on some rubbers you will get little tears on the topsheet. That comes from a really explosive high impact speed vs incoming heavy topspin.
Relooping topspin over and over is one way to get one of these tears if you are Hercules and have the timing to channel that power.