Volkswagen 2010 Cup - Players choose their opponents!!!

Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀

Dan

Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
Players get to choose their opponents!!

LIne up volkswagon cup.jpg

Picture by Manfred Schillings

Vladimir Samsonov smiled; he looked at the four players standing at the front of the room where the draw for the Men’s Singles event at the Volkswagen Cup in Germany was being held early in the evening of Monday 29th November 2010. He chose to stand next to Korea’s Joo Se Hyuk; he had selected his adversary for his opening round contest, the other options being Germany’s Timo Boll, China’s Ma Lin or Japan’s Jun Mizutani.

The system for the draw in the Volkswagen Halle in Braunschweig, some 30 minutes by car from Volkswagen's headquarters in Wolfsburg, saw the players have a certain choice as to who would be their opening round opponent.

System for the Draw
In the first instance the top two seeded players were placed at the top and bottom of the draw; then the names of the third and fourth seeded players were drawn. The player whose name was drawn first had the choice of whether to be in the top half or lower half of the draw. The top four decided, the remaining four names were drawn; the first player whose name was drawn chose his opponent and so on until the last name to appear having no choice at all.

A choice of four players befell Vladimir Samsonov and his choice was understandable. He had played Joo Se Hyuk on three previous occasions in world ranking events, he had won on all three occasions. The other alternatives were more foreboding: Germany’s Timo Boll, China’s Ma Lin or Japan’s Jun Mizutani; all players who in the past have caused Vladimir Samsonsov moments of strife.

Article written at http://www.ittf.com/_front_page/ittf_full_story1.asp?ID=22628&Competition_ID=1995&

First rounds begin tomorrow at the ITTF website's live broadcasting

Firts Round:
Timo Boll (GER) v Gao Ning (SIN)
Chuang Chih-Yuan (TPE) v Jun Mizutani (JPN)
Joo Se Hyuk (KOR) v Vladimir Samsonov (BLR)
Tang Peng (HKG) v Ma Lin (CHN)

First Round:
Feng Tianwei (SIN) v Krisztina Toth (HUN)
Ai Fukuhara (JPN) v Li Xiaoxia (CHN)
Jiang Huajun (HKG) v Shen Yanfei (ESP)
Wu Jiaduo (GER) v Kim Kyung Ah (KOR)

Dan

Dan

Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
in RR tournaments, if one plays well and win the first round, it will boost confidence level, which will likely take on 2nd and 3rd consecutive wins
is this whats going on, you get to pick the weakest to boost it up ?

Well the top 2 seeds went in each half of the draw... and the next who got picked out the hate got to choose which half of the draw they wanted to go in... So now the draw is live, there is no more picking and choosing,, the winnings of each round will go into the next round and so on :)

Dan

Dan

Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
I was rooting for Chuang..... too bad he already lost. :p

Also, kind of shocked that Feng Tianwei lost already... I guess her performance isn't that consistent...

Yeah its a shame, but i want Mizutani to win this tournament :D

Here is the latest video

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2010
Yeah its a shame, but i want Mizutani to win this tournament :D

I think he has a shot against Timo, he always puts up a fight in that matchup. But against Ma Lin.... I really don't think Mizutani has any chance if Ma Lin is playing even subpar. His best bet would be for Samsonov to take out Ma Lin, which I think is more likely than Mizutani doing so, but still unlikely. Then Mizutani would have a good chance. He should focus on beating Timo but pray that Vladi wins his match. XD

Dan

Dan

Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
I think he has a shot against Timo, he always puts up a fight in that matchup. But against Ma Lin.... I really don't think Mizutani has any chance if Ma Lin is playing even subpar. His best bet would be for Samsonov to take out Ma Lin, which I think is more likely than Mizutani doing so, but still unlikely. Then Mizutani would have a good chance. He should focus on beating Timo but pray that Vladi wins his match. XD

Your spot on there, the semis are going to be great!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2010
Timo looks way happier and Healthier here than he did a couple of weeks ago when he played Wang Hao. He looked proper worn out and run down in that match.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2010

After 2008, Ma Lin had only lost two matches against non-chinese. Qatar Open, Timo beat Ma. This time, Timo again.