National or Provincial?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Super Moderator
Mar 2012
Read 20 reviews
Hi Judah000.

After I've been reading in different forums and from what it sounds like the best buy from the buck is the provincial. I terms of a comparison of both rubbers I can only speak for the national version. The Huricane 3 NAT is good in almost every area you are mentioning except for chop and slow spinny topspin. Well that's my opinion :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2012
Why National or Provincial? Why can't the Chinese standardize to one type; only National, that it. Just like all other manufacturers, they do not have such thing as National or Provincial, they produce the best from their factory and keep on improving when the next new rubber comes along. And you can't find it commercially available, so what is the point? Everyone suppose to promote the game and with this restriction, how can the game be further enjoyed by the large? Drop the classification!

Reactions: judah000
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
maybe best to try provincial first and see if you like it

This is actually a very good piece of advice because the Provincial version is very reasonable and quite good. The National is excellent but the price is high. If you try the Provincial and really do not like it--because Chinese rubbers don't work for everybody--then your investment is not so bad. But if you try the National version and don't like it, you would have paid a high price and you have to find the National version, and it is hard to find so you would have spent your time and effort and your money.

But if you get the Provincial and like it, odds are, you will like the National more so, when you have worn the Provincial out, you can step up to National.

Great tip Ripper.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2012
This is actually a very good piece of advice because the Provincial version is very reasonable and quite good. The National is excellent but the price is high. If you try the Provincial and really do not like it--because Chinese rubbers don't work for everybody--then your investment is not so bad. But if you try the National version and don't like it, you would have paid a high price and you have to find the National version, and it is hard to find so you would have spent your time and effort and your money.

But if you get the Provincial and like it, odds are, you will like the National more so, when you have worn the Provincial out, you can step up to National.

Great tip Ripper.

In my country, we can't see any National or Provincial available, only the low quality ones are on sale? I wonder how they (the Chinese) conduct their business?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2011
Read 4 reviews
Actually the quality control is the most important for the different levels of rubbers. The CNT are given the best QC because they require the best. Provincial players are professionals as well, but don't compete often enough in the World events to need that high of QC. Provincial when boosted a bit more than usual often plays and feels just like National only moderately boosted. Unless you're at the highest levels of play there's really very little difference from the heavily boosted provincial to regular boosting of national.

ESN has special QC rubbers for their professionals as well. Butterfly QC's their Tenergy for the CNT and players of Timo's caliber. I'm sure that all companies cater towards their fully sponsored players. ZJK uses 2.2 sponge for his T64. Timo uses 75 g on his BH and 71 g on his FH for T05. It's all about the best quality control which costs the manufacturers the most when producing. So instead of disposing of their products they instead will send them out for commercial uses. It's rare for two rubbers commercially bought to be exactly the same. There will always be some diference in quality, but it's just a matter of speed, spin, and control that most players look at rather than durability, sponge hardness, topsheet consistency (i.e. how often and where the topsheet is likely to wear down). Things like this all take into account the QC of a product.

As for judah's question - National is way expensive, but is well worth it. Provincial however is as has been said the best bang for your buck. The aspects of game are based on skill not on the rubber. While rubber can make a slight difference it is more often a technique error rather than a rubber's inability to do something well.

says hAHAHAHA THANX MATE :D
says hAHAHAHA THANX MATE :D
Mar 2011
What I know is that, these rubbers are cut from a very big sheet of rubber. Those in the middle are for the sponsored pros, and the further they go from the centre, the grade drops gradually. Usually most TT shops will get those along the edges, unless you are a reputable dealer who has been in the business for a very loooong time. Knowing the manufacturers will definitely help too.