advice please on moving from tenergy

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2017
I have been trying out various versions of tenergy by buying used rubbers online. I have realised I am getting the disadvantages (bouncy and difficult to control) but they are not as spinney as new tenergys. These are rubbers for top pro players and I am a mid level club player. I struggle when receiving nasty serves and need more control.
I have been playing for 5 years and improving though my age (65) will stop me getting above club level. I have a strong backhand and like flicking and looping near the table. I move reasonable well and will loop forehands close and at mid distance though I need to send several shots to win a point and am not as powerful as some attackers. I never chop and try to build up the point using topspin. Serving is a bit of a passion and I use f/h and b/h.
Which rubbers do you think I should buy for my DHS hurricane 301?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2013
Read 2 reviews
@Silver Smasher - changing one grippy rubber to another is unlikely to help you with receive of "nasty" serves. And long pips aren't a solution either, just a crutch, especially when the problem sounds like inability to read the spin. The only way out of this is to improve your ability to read spin and return serves. Attending one of Craig Bryant's training camps near your area might be a good idea.

If you genuinely want slower equipment with more control, get yourself a pair of DHS H3 Neos. There is no need for anything faster for a club-level player like yourself. You'll still be able to loop with oodles of spin, etc but the bounciness will be gone for sure.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2019
Read 2 reviews
@Silver Smasher - changing one grippy rubber to another is unlikely to help you with receive of "nasty" serves. And long pips aren't a solution either, just a crutch, especially when the problem sounds like inability to read the spin. The only way out of this is to improve your ability to read spin and return serves. Attending one of Craig Bryant's training camps near your area might be a good idea.

If you genuinely want slower equipment with more control, get yourself a pair of DHS H3 Neos. There is no need for anything faster for a club-level player like yourself. You'll still be able to loop with oodles of spin, etc but the bounciness will be gone for sure.

I totally agree. If more control is needed, there's nothing like DHS H3 Neo. Get a 39 degree forehand, and 37 degree backhand. And they're cheaper than most other "pro" level rubbers too.

This user has no status.

I totally agree. If more control is needed, there's nothing like DHS H3 Neo. Get a 39 degree forehand, and 37 degree backhand. And they're cheaper than most other "pro" level rubbers too.

I dare to oppose a little. H3 is definitely a great rubber, but I would recommend Battle 2 Blue Sponge, it doesn't bounce and no adjustment is needed.
He is fast enough and less demanding on physical effort.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2019
Read 2 reviews

I dare to oppose a little. H3 is definitely a great rubber, but I would recommend Battle 2 Blue Sponge, it doesn't bounce and no adjustment is needed.
He is fast enough and less demanding on physical effort.

I've played battle 2 provincial before, it's similar to h3 imo, but it's not widely available compared to dhs h3, I got mine from taobao and aliexpress, which took forever to arrive.

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
There's loads of rubbers that you could be recommended...but I'm just going to throw Donic Baracuda into the mix as a solid choice in what I would class the Off minus category. Not the latest generation of rubbers but still good for the plastic ball (very spinny), and its a couple of notches slower in speed than the Tenergy series which might help with control. Also about half the price of a Tenergy.

Donic Baracuda Table Tennis Rubbers - TopspinTT

That is certainly a category that COULD be appropriate - (Modern Dynamic slower rubber) but it gunna be pretty spin sensitive. That might not be terrible, because that might force dude to adjust touch and grow.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2017
It sounds like you’re looking for Nittaku G-1. Less bouncy, good durability, but almost the same spin and arc as Tenergy 05.
A very tamed and controlled alternative to Tenergy 05.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I will try G1 on forehand. This is partly because it makes you work on your strokes whereas tenergy bounces fast with little effort.
I am considering the fastarc C1 on backhand which is the same rubber but a softer sponge. I like to flick on short serves and spin up long backspin serves. Do you think C1 would be better than G1 on backhand?

Reactions: SamTheMan
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2020
Read 1 reviews

Thanks for all the suggestions. I will try G1 on forehand. This is partly because it makes you work on your strokes whereas tenergy bounces fast with little effort.
I am considering the fastarc C1 on backhand which is the same rubber but a softer sponge. I like to flick on short serves and spin up long backspin serves. Do you think C1 would be better than G1 on backhand?

I haven’t tried C1. Many prefer softer rubbers on backhand. But softer rubbers are bouncier. So it might not help you as much with serve receive as G1 would.
l personally like G1 for both forehand and backhand.