PDA

View Full Version : Exhibition matches

azlan
04-19-2012, 10:30 AM
Hi guys,
One thing I noticed is that exhibition matches in table tennis are far in between. It's extremely hard to see pro TT players getting together and play TT for a good cause. We see a lot in tennis and football, but not TT. Imagine veteran players like Liu, WLQ, Persson, Schlager, Kong, Waldner, Gatien, and others play against Ma Long, Timo, Jun, ZJK and the gang. It would be sell out!! In doubles you can have Schlager/ZJK vs Liu/Timo...how about that!:) It would be a blast!!

I started the thread because I just finished watching a tennis exhibition match for Haiti. Agassi/Nadal vs Federer/Sampras. There's a full match, but this is a short format. They're wearing these tiny microphones which allow them to speak and banter at each other. It's funny to see Agassi going at Federer all the time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0RNPe7pmSq4

Giangt
04-19-2012, 10:44 AM
It could be awesome. I saw the exact same match on Eurosport and it was great fun to watch. I could picture that Liu would be swearing at Timo in chinese and Timo wouldn't give a damn ;)

WiWa
04-19-2012, 11:35 AM
Well we have the asia - europe, China - world and penhold - shakehand, but I don't know if they serve a good cause

Steven
04-19-2012, 03:04 PM
Waldner and Persson have done that a couple times. And I can remember Boll and Waldner did as well.

azlan
04-19-2012, 04:19 PM
Waldner and Persson have done that a couple times. And I can remember Boll and Waldner did as well.

Yeah, that's true. There are several exhibition matches done by TT players to promote the sport. But it would be nice if they can get together and play for a greater cause, for instance for the Japan or Indonesian tsunami victims for instance, for education of children in some under developed countries, for cancer research...anything that can truly make a difference for the less fortunate.
I mean, there should be a sense of responsibility for top sportsmen and women to make this world that we live in a slightly better place to live in.
Here is another video showing the world no1 badminton player Lee Chong Wei playing against 3 players to raise funds for the Japan tsunami victims.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWQsFF96sgk

dici
04-19-2012, 06:02 PM
I remember there were some videos that LCW, taufik and others play together for some charity in indonesia club too >.>

But yea, it looks like this never happen in Table tennis. For the euro vs asia those thing, I can't really call it as exhibition due to that it still kind of involve the rank rating.

Anders123
04-19-2012, 07:15 PM
Well Azlan, it would be really nice and spectacular to watch for sure! I am just not sure if there is enough money in table tennis to do this kind of stuff :)

daxx101
04-19-2012, 07:40 PM
how i wish to see that kind of game. just to promote the game. or somewhat a tour of legendary players to different countries would be nice

Matt Hetherington
04-20-2012, 12:38 AM
There was a fantastic one at Levallois sporting club between Jean-Mi and Gatien last year I think, I love watching exhibitions!

ducksick
04-20-2012, 01:20 AM
Email ITTF and raise the voice and I believe in near future, it might happen.

Tadex
04-20-2012, 02:45 AM
I think the reason there isn't such exhibition matches is purely economics. The sport is already underfunded (compared to other sports such as Tennis and Football) so when they have any exhibition matches they would be more interested in personal profit. Its easy for someone like Federer or Nadal to forego their appearance fees because they already earn 10 or 100 times that from their commercials.

Matt Hetherington
04-20-2012, 04:22 AM
Damn I was trying to find the Gatien - Saive one but I can't find the video, if anyone knows where it is please post it, it's a great exhibition, very funny atmosphere between the two :)

azlan
04-20-2012, 05:13 AM
I think the reason there isn't such exhibition matches is purely economics. The sport is already underfunded (compared to other sports such as Tennis and Football) so when they have any exhibition matches they would be more interested in personal profit. Its easy for someone like Federer or Nadal to forego their appearance fees because they already earn 10 or 100 times that from their commercials.

What you are saying here is true buddy. But, when you do these kind of exhibitions, it's all about sacrifices. It can be done several days before, or just after a major competition, or during off seasons. Spectators can pay, say 50% more than they normally pay, TV stations can organize pledges, merchandises related for the cause can be sold at booths and raise awareness.

Badminton players don't get much pay too, and as a sport, it's smaller than TT. But, if there's a will, there will always be a way. Just a matter of getting the right someone to initiate it and get the ball rolling.

azlan
04-20-2012, 05:14 AM
Damn I was trying to find the Gatien - Saive one but I can't find the video, if anyone knows where it is please post it, it's a great exhibition, very funny atmosphere between the two :)

If you saw it on youtube, I am sure it would still be there buddy:)..I'll start looking

Matt Hetherington
04-20-2012, 05:32 AM
If you saw it on youtube, I am sure it would still be there buddy:)..I'll start looking

I've had a good look on youtube but haven't found it again yet. Such a pain!

Steven
04-20-2012, 10:42 AM
Here's another one with Saive:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOg0-4ltLIM
And this wasn't really an exhibition match, but it's still funny.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSZEIQZh0Os

WiWa
04-20-2012, 11:31 AM
Good point steven, many players play exhibition points at the end of a match when it is practically decided. I think what azlan means however is matches which are organised just to raise funds for some good cause, like earthquake victims.

azlan
04-20-2012, 11:36 AM
Exactly Wiwa:)...besides, I think it would create better bonds and respect between the pros too. At least they would smile when they shake hands with each other after a match if they know that they share a common ground.

And Steven, thanx for posting...the matches were hilarious!LOL

Matt Hetherington
04-20-2012, 12:03 PM
Good point steven, many players play exhibition points at the end of a match when it is practically decided. I think what azlan means however is matches which are organised just to raise funds for some good cause, like earthquake victims.

I did an exhibition for earthquake victims last year :D Ironically I now live where the earthquake happened

azlan
04-20-2012, 12:57 PM
Did you Matt?! Is it in your blog? I would love to read it or see the video:) Well done buddy! It's real irony that you're there now..:)