Exhibition matches

says hAHAHAHA THANX MATE :D
Mar 2011
Hi guys,
One thing I noticed is that exhibition matches in table tennis are far in between. It's extremely hard to see pro TT players getting together and play TT for a good cause. We see a lot in tennis and football, but not TT. Imagine veteran players like Liu, WLQ, Persson, Schlager, Kong, Waldner, Gatien, and others play against Ma Long, Timo, Jun, ZJK and the gang. It would be sell out!! In doubles you can have Schlager/ZJK vs Liu/Timo...how about that!:) It would be a blast!!

I started the thread because I just finished watching a tennis exhibition match for Haiti. Agassi/Nadal vs Federer/Sampras. There's a full match, but this is a short format. They're wearing these tiny microphones which allow them to speak and banter at each other. It's funny to see Agassi going at Federer all the time.

Mar 2011
Waldner and Persson have done that a couple times. And I can remember Boll and Waldner did as well.

Yeah, that's true. There are several exhibition matches done by TT players to promote the sport. But it would be nice if they can get together and play for a greater cause, for instance for the Japan or Indonesian tsunami victims for instance, for education of children in some under developed countries, for cancer research...anything that can truly make a difference for the less fortunate.
I mean, there should be a sense of responsibility for top sportsmen and women to make this world that we live in a slightly better place to live in.
Here is another video showing the world no1 badminton player Lee Chong Wei playing against 3 players to raise funds for the Japan tsunami victims.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2011
I remember there were some videos that LCW, taufik and others play together for some charity in indonesia club too >.>

But yea, it looks like this never happen in Table tennis. For the euro vs asia those thing, I can't really call it as exhibition due to that it still kind of involve the rank rating.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2011
I think the reason there isn't such exhibition matches is purely economics. The sport is already underfunded (compared to other sports such as Tennis and Football) so when they have any exhibition matches they would be more interested in personal profit. Its easy for someone like Federer or Nadal to forego their appearance fees because they already earn 10 or 100 times that from their commercials.

Mar 2011
I think the reason there isn't such exhibition matches is purely economics. The sport is already underfunded (compared to other sports such as Tennis and Football) so when they have any exhibition matches they would be more interested in personal profit. Its easy for someone like Federer or Nadal to forego their appearance fees because they already earn 10 or 100 times that from their commercials.

What you are saying here is true buddy. But, when you do these kind of exhibitions, it's all about sacrifices. It can be done several days before, or just after a major competition, or during off seasons. Spectators can pay, say 50% more than they normally pay, TV stations can organize pledges, merchandises related for the cause can be sold at booths and raise awareness.

Badminton players don't get much pay too, and as a sport, it's smaller than TT. But, if there's a will, there will always be a way. Just a matter of getting the right someone to initiate it and get the ball rolling.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2011
Good point steven, many players play exhibition points at the end of a match when it is practically decided. I think what azlan means however is matches which are organised just to raise funds for some good cause, like earthquake victims.

Mar 2011
Exactly Wiwa:)...besides, I think it would create better bonds and respect between the pros too. At least they would smile when they shake hands with each other after a match if they know that they share a common ground.

And Steven, thanx for posting...the matches were hilarious!LOL

says Check out my Podcast Talkin' Smash!
says Check out my Podcast Talkin' Smash!
Oct 2010
Read 12 reviews
Good point steven, many players play exhibition points at the end of a match when it is practically decided. I think what azlan means however is matches which are organised just to raise funds for some good cause, like earthquake victims.

I did an exhibition for earthquake victims last year :D Ironically I now live where the earthquake happened