Choosing a rubber for RPB

This user has no status.

I have been trying to do RPB flicks very hard recently. I always failed when the backspin was strong until I took my friend's advice where I did it with the forehand rubber and It has shown pretty much of a success. My forehand rubber is DHS Hurricane 3 Neo and my backhand rubber is Butterfly Sriver EL. That makes me want to change my backhand rubber. It's quite strange to change it to Hurricane 3 however.

Therefore, I am thinking to choose Tenergy 05 FX for my backhand or something similar. What do you guys suggest??

But actually, I found that Wang Hao uses Sriver rubber for his backhand as well although he replaced the sponge with a Bryce Speed sponge. I am not sure about the difference in the performance of doing flicks between Sriver EL and Sriver. So is it the rubbers that matter or my skills? What do you guys think??

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Super Moderator
Mar 2012
Read 20 reviews
As it looks like your setup is quite good. I am thinking maybe it is your technique you have to work on. Are you brushing the ball enough? To the other question about the T05 FX and it is a very good rubber for BH. It has a high throw and good for topspins, but I found it a bit too bouncy for my playing style.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2012
Read 2 reviews
Relax ur hand, wrist, and move your right leg in front when u flick the ball? When the you received the ball, (underspin/backspin) , watch ur elbow, relax, go forward , BH rubber face facing opponent(not fully facing him) and slowly turn the blade(rotation) like doing a side spin and upward above the net... and be patient to practice it ya. no matters what type of serve, you can take next time. I hope you can understand. Relax when take service. Dont rush....

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2011
Check your paddle angle, or you can try the backhand flick used by shakehand nowadays. It kind of start with chopping angle using RPB side then rotate your wrist. From the video you see that wang hao do it quite easily, one of the reason that the underspin is not strong, or the serve was side/no spin serve at all.

And also, the timing and the force you use will impact too. I would suggest don't flick it hard, that's the first mistake i saw everyone making it.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2011
I suggest you to just stick with the Sriver, there is nothing wrong with it. The problem is in your technique if you can't do rpb flick with Sriver. New rubber won't fix your technique. Instead watch a lot of videos of Wang Hao and others.

I am not a pro, or even a good player but I have watched hours and hours of the top penholders and searched for technical advice all over the internet. Here are a few points on what a good rpb flick needs:

1. Step in with your right foot(right handed player) as the ball is short.
2. Cock your wrist and elbow. This is where I think rpb has a real advantage in comparison to a shakehand backhand. Don't cock your wrist so that the racket is vertical and the tip of it points straight down, you should go over vertical: watch Wang Hao, his bat can sometimes be close to horizontal with the tip of his bat pointing to his right. Turn your wrist as much as you feel comfortable with.
3. Keep your wrist relaxed
4. Start the flicking motion from your elbow, not your wrist; this way you get more speed and spin with less effort. At the same time as you flick do a little jumping step with your right(again a right handed player) foot. This helps you get upwards motion to your flick especially against backspin, but also starts the process of getting back to your neutral position behind the table.
-Something that is really important is timing: you should take the ball at the top of its bounce to get the maximum room for error and the maximum power when wanted. It is especially important against backspin that you are in time for the flick.
- Even more important thing about timing is that you time your flick so that your racket's head reaches its maximum speed at the time it makes contact with the ball -not half a second earlier or later- to get the desired max spin and speed.

- Racket angle during the flick depends on the spin of the incoming ball but is usually actually relatively closed, more closed than a slash like this /. It also depends on how much you're lifting with your leg.
- Spin and placement should come before speed.

Everyone, feel free to correct and comment or add things I've forgotten.