Adidas Avenger Blade Series!!

nope they are not the guys and a gal from marvel ! Adidas will be releasing these wonderful blades later this year. These 3 blades are composed of walnut as their outer layers, a 5 ply off- all wood, a 7 ply carbon blade and a 7 ply all wood powerhouse.

Avenger Series blades

AvengerseriesA04.jpg

adidasAvenger7A07.jpg

Avenger 7 (OFF+)
"The Hulk"

adidasAvenger7A04.jpg

- 7-ply offensive blade of hard surface and very unique construction. 6.2mm.
- Feeling : The mixture of hardness and softness. Very strong feeling.
- Proper playing style : Aggressive topspin from all area.
- Tagreted players : Skilled players who want speedy blade.

adidasAvenger7F01.jpg

Plies: 7 (walnut-ayous-tanne-ayous-tanne-ayous-walnut)
Weight: 92 grams (average weight is 90 grams)
Blade head dimension: 150x157mm
Thickness: 6.2mm
Vibration: Minimal
This blade has thin outer plies and a thick central ayous core. The outer walnut plies provide stiffness and speed to the blade. The ayous and tanne layers provide a feeling of softness and control to the blade. The thick central ayous core provides additional speed to the blade.

This is the powerhouse of the Avenger series. They rated this as OFF but its clearly OFF+. I placed a 2.0mm Adidas P5 black on this and a Dawei Sprungfeder G3 red max. I immediately started doing fh to fh drills and bh to bh drills with this beast and i noticed right away how fast it is. Lets just say its faster than a Mazunov blade, A stiga Ebenholz 7 or a Clipper CR blade but with a softer feel. Apparently, Adidas has found a way to mix both hard and soft wood layers that produces a soft feeling when doing power shots enabling control and sensitivity. Having tried a lot of 7 ply blades and collected a few 7 ply all wood blades in the past, I would say Adidas is on the right track making this kind of blade for the reason that it offers a unique option among 7 ply lovers. I would attribute the feeling of softness despite the hard outer plies to the tanne layer. Tanne as what I have read about is a Fir tree related to Cypress. The blade designer told me that it has a mixture of softness and hardness on feel, I really agree with him when I tried it. On power shots, I didn't feel the hard impact like what i felt with the Ebenholz 7, it felt a bit soft but my shots were fast especially on fh drives, smashes and spin drives. This blade is good for close-to-the-table and mid-distance shots. This is more of a hitter's and spin driver's blade rather than a pure looping blade. Though, I suggest getting a 2.0mm medium soft rubber or a chinese rubber to pair with it if you want to loop with it. I still find my shots spinny enough using the dawei and 2.0mm P5. On passive shots like blocking and drop shots, the tanne layers really help absorb the shots and provide a great amount of control. It is surprising that for a beast like the Avenger 7 it is not hard to do controlled shots. I love blocking with this both punch blocks and passive slow blocks.
I would recommend this blade to aggressive players who do not want to use a carbon blade. It takes some skill to fully utilize this and also some muscle because this blade is a 90gm blade (-+3 or 4 grams). Also good for players who want a hard blade but doesn't want the excessive vibration produced by other hard 7 ply blades.

adidasAvengerCarbonL11.jpg

Avenger Carbon (OFF)

adidasAvengerCarbonA04.jpg

- Soft carbon blade of 5.6mm thickness. (Softer than FiberTec Classic.)
- Feeling : Feeling is very soft and comfortable. It holds ball very well.
- Proper playing style : Continuous topspin at close area to table.
- Tagreted players : Aggressive topspin players of all level.

Plies: 7 (walnut-tanne-carbon-ayous-carbon-tanne-ayous-walnut)
Weight: 89 grams (average weight is 90 grams)
Thickness: 5.6mm
The only carbon blade in the Avenger Series, this blade is not to be underestimated on its performance even though it is not as fast as other super or ultra fast blades in the market. For those who wants to maintain a woody feel when using a carbon blade, the Avenger Carbon is sufficient for this need. The placement of the soft carbon fleece after 2 layers instead of just after the 1st ply results to a woody feel. Adidas said they designed this blade especially for players who are close to the table attackers. This is fast maybe between the speed of a Butterfly Gergely and a Primorac carbon. The soft carbon fleece balances the harder outer walnut plies which when combined provides a soft feeling and at the same time helps make power shots. It has a large sweet spot that it gave my shots stability when I was looping close to the table. The blade has very good feel. The vibration is minimal and the sweet spot is large. Although it has similarities with the construction of a Yasaka Ma Lin Soft Carbon blade, the feeling is quite different and the speed is a lot more. It is faster than the Ma Lin SC blade and has more feel. Sometimes I would felt that the Ma Lin SC blade lack the feel compared to the Avenger Carbon. It was fun doing topspins over the table and pure looping with the Avenger carbon since this blade has a good feel and the dwell time is really good to produce spinny loops. Unlike its brute brother, the Avenger 7, the Avenger carbon was built for looping more. When I was looping the ball, it has a long trajectory mid distance from the table though this blade is more of a close to the table looping blade. Countering was very good as I felt my shots have stability including my active blocks against loops or drives. Chinese rubbers are good with the Avenger Carbon though I havent tried hard rubbers like the H3 or TG3 neos on this but a soft 36 degree Dawei SPrungfeder on the forehand and a medium soft Adidas Syntec Fast on the backhand. Soft to medium rubbers are ideal with this blade like the Adidas P5, Tenzone SF and the Syntec Series. This blade is also for players who would like to shift to a carbon blade but will not tolerate a loss of control and the woody feel coming from an off 5 or 7 ply all wood blade.

adidasAvengerCarbonA07.jpg

adidasAvenger5A07.jpg

Avenger 5 (OFF-)

adidasAvenger5A04.jpg

- 5-ply offensive blade of hard surface and 5.9mm thickness.
- Feeling : Surface is hard. But, overall feeling is quite soft, and it holds ball very well.
- Proper playing style : Continuous topspin at close area to table.
- Tagreted players : Aggressive topspin players of all level.

Plies: 5 (walnut-tanne-ayous-tanne-walnut)
Weight: 87 grams (average weight is 86 grams)
Thickness: 5.9mm
The slowest among the 3 avenger but not necessarily slow. When you remove the 2 soft carbon fleece of the Avenger carbon you would get the Avenger 5. Designed with a hard walnut outer ply and a thick core of ayous with a tanne sandwiched in between, this blade offers a balance of speed and control.

If I am a developing player who has an all+ blade and rubber set up and wanted to shift to a faster blade to further develop my game especially on an all around basis, I would choose this blade simply because it has good sense of control and feel plus some good speed to offer. If I am an advanced player who is looking for a blade that will help my aggressive attacking game close to the table without removing control on my arsenal, this would be the blade for me. While using the max P5 on this, I really find the combo one hell of a spin maker. The Av 5 has sufficient dwell time looping is its forte. It loops better and more controllable that its Av Carbon brother due to its lesser speed and more control. Slow spinny loops are very good on a delayed contact and even off the bounce aggressive loops are powerful enough. I found this suitable for an all around based game meaning you can do a good blocking game with it then switch suddenly to an aggressive attacking game. Control is abundant in this blade its very good in the short game like flicks and drop shots. The good feel of the blade helps execute strokes that are a bit sensitive to perform during a close, hard scoring game. I would recommend medium to hard rubbers for this blade. The Adidas Tenzone, P7 and P5 pair well with the Av 5. Chinese players who use hard Chinese rubbers would also benefit greatly from this controlled looping blade.

adidasAvenger5L01.jpg

In conclusion, even these blades are still under development and are not available in the market, they show a great amount of promise once introduced to the market and the various necessary improvements made during testing will be implemented. Its like Adidas is making developments and improvements with each series of blades and rubbers they are introducing showing the world of table tennis that they have the equipment to compete with the top companies that presently dominate the market.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2011
They should have released these with the Avengers film. Marketing opportunity, missed.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2012
I have been very fortunate to acquire an Avenger Carbon. I've had it for a couple of weeks with Yinhe Moon max 38 deg. on FH and BH. I play close to the table and I found this blade very good on picking up underspins, doing spinny loops and spin drives. Speed is very good. I love doing passive blocks and punch blocks with this blade as control is unusually good for a carbon blade. It has enough power even if you step back 2 or 3 paces away from the table.

I own several blades and among these Avenger carbon has become my favorite. It is now my primary setup, my main weapon.

My thanks to Yogi_bear for a fine review. I'm glad I read it before deciding to get this blade.

says cornilleau hinotec off+ is a carbon blade well suited...
Nov 2012
Hi guys!anybody here used the avenger carbon for more than a month? whats the verdict after long term use? what type of rubber does it perform well with? and how does it compare with other offensive blades? I'm planning on buying one and wanted some feedbacks on long time users(more than a month of continous use).
thanks!!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2012
Hi guys!anybody here used the avenger carbon for more than a month? whats the verdict after long term use? what type of rubber does it perform well with? and how does it compare with other offensive blades? I'm planning on buying one and wanted some feedbacks on long time users(more than a month of continous use).
thanks!!

Almost a year now using my Avenger Carbon. I have tried using other offensive blades in the past few months, in comparison to the Avenger such as Iolite Neo (faster but numbly lacks feel, harder to loop) Rosewood V (more versatile, better at near table strokes and looping, but slower) Clipper, Clipper CC, CC7 and T11. I found myself going back to Avenger Carbon for the right blend of power, blocks and close to the table play (I play exclusively near the table).

Works well with Calibra LT, Magna TX II, Killespin Blast, Sriver G2 FX, Mark V and my favorite on the blade is Yinhe Moon. The past two months I have been trying to learn long pimples on BH style of play with a bit of twiddling. Among my blades I found the Avenger Carbon best suited for push/blocker style with Double Fish 1615 Ox on BH and Magna TX II on FH.

Last edited:
Nov 2012
thanks knuckle ball. just bought one and though its a bit slower and heavier than my rapid carbon, the feel is way better. tried solcion and illumina x25 with it and am not satisfied with the results. going to try mark v and yinhe moon(if I can get my hands on one) next.
Merry christmas and a happy new year to everyone!!!

Nov 2012
Good day polchen! it is my main fh rubber right now. I like the combination of its spin, speed and control with my rapid carbon. the throw is high which I like and a really great rubber for looping. I had to adjust at first because it was a bit bouncy but once you've adjusted it is hard changing to other rubbers. Only drawback is its a bit expensive(I bought the avenger as my back up).