Switching to double short Pips

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2016
Hello,

well i was on youtube watching table tennis videos and i found videos from Maxim Cherepnin playing with double short pips waran and gipfelsturm.

I had always problems with spin i would say or getting fast topspin balls out.
I am okay at blocking and smashing and so.

In my serves is always little to no spin.

I used the low to no spins serve to my advantage and trained them to get short but better opponets just flick them.

With all of that and of course i liked the play style i saw from Maxim Cherepnin i am thinking of switching to spinlord ultra balsa and waran and gipfelsturm.

I guess in low classes and with the plastic ball it is a good playstyle?

I would like to hear your thoughts on this playstyle and the disadvantages from it.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2016
The waran is a spinny short pip and the gipfelsturm is some kind of mix between short and middle, so there would be variation i think

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Need much better footwork compared to backside.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2022
Maxim Cherepnin : It seems to me that they are now designing short pips with all long pips parameter except length .
Anyway what is Maxim's level ? I can't see him hitting one forehand in those videos. Was it a doctored video to promote Spinlord ?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2016
I dont say i dont want to, im just not so good.
And with waran i can still topspin and why should i leave the best sport?

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I dont say i dont want to, im just not so good.
And with waran i can still topspin and why should i leave the best sport?

One things about TT is that there is so much to learn. If you keep using regular rubbers, and keep playing and training, you will get better and better at reading and responding to spin. There is no rush. And the cool thing about that, while you are doing that, your brain is active and you are learning and improving.

If you are not great at dealing with spin, that just gives you something else to work on in TT.

Working on your touch, how you touch the ball can really help how you respond to incoming spin.

All the cool things in the next video are things that involve amazing touch. But if you practice the first thing, where Freitas is bouncing the ball on the edge of the table (except you practice it against a wall), you will be amazed at how much better something like that can make your touch, and ultimately, your ability to handle incoming spin:

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Like i also said,. double short pips looks like a lot of fun as well.

Fair enough. But you will stop learning certain things with SP on both sides. SP on one side and twiddling, you will have to learn both rubbers.

And that exercise in the Marcos Freitas video is still worth working on.

Last edited:
Reactions: SofaChamp
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
I think short pimples is misunderstood. Much more difficult to become good compared to inverted. Less margin for error and need to move well. A short pimple rubber with grip would be smart.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2016
I know short pips requiere good footwork and of course an other technique than inverted.

The waran is a spinny short pips like i said.

It just seems like fun and to mix up the normal game with 2 inverted topspin play.