DHS hurricane 301 help

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2022
Hi, I bought the hurricane 301 but is massivly disappionted after ive read only really really good reviews on the blade.
Right now i play with a Butterfly Maze Passion with H3 neo FH and Donic bluefire m2 on BH - which I really like, unfortunatly the blade is 15 years old and has gotten a big crack and is done, so i bought the hurricane 301 with same rubbers.

To me the blade is extremely slow with pretty bad spin, the blocking and short touches is however the best ive experienced but the slowness and bad spin is 100% a dealbreaker to me. I dont understand it when im reading review after review that this blade should be so good to loop with etc etc. Could it be my rubber choice on it? H3 NEO not boosted and donic bluefire m2 BH - to me its unplayable at the moment. Any tips on rubbers for this blade? I am a forhand dominate player who likes to pivot a lot and I use my backhand mostly for blocking, pushes and flicks on serves.
Thanks

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2021
Read 1 reviews
Hi, I bought the hurricane 301 but is massivly disappionted after ive read only really really good reviews on the blade.
Right now i play with a Butterfly Maze Passion with H3 neo FH and Donic bluefire m2 on BH - which I really like, unfortunatly the blade is 15 years old and has gotten a big crack and is done, so i bought the hurricane 301 with same rubbers.

To me the blade is extremely slow with pretty bad spin, the blocking and short touches is however the best ive experienced but the slowness and bad spin is 100% a dealbreaker to me. I dont understand it when im reading review after review that this blade should be so good to loop with etc etc. Could it be my rubber choice on it? H3 NEO not boosted and donic bluefire m2 BH - to me its unplayable at the moment. Any tips on rubbers for this blade? I am a forhand dominate player who likes to pivot a lot and I use my backhand mostly for blocking, pushes and flicks on serves.
Thanks

I'm sorry to say but, it might be an issue of technique.

I tried this blade out with Skyline tg3 neo rubbers and it played nicely. Spinny in service, beautiful in touch game, and for me it was way spinier than my current setup.

My only complaint was getting the carbon layer to kick in, but the blade was plenty fast even when it wasn't being activated.

I don't think that your rubber choices are wrong- not boosting hurricane can still generate immense amounts of spin, you just have to know how to use it.

ZFT

This user has no status.

ZFT

This user has no status.
Dec 2021
Maze Passion glass fiber outer construction. Limba outer. 5.6mm thickness.

H301 arylate carbon inner type construction. Koto outer. 5.9mm thickness.

Without needing to have experience with both woods, it’s already clear the feeling would be completely different to what you are used to.

Analogy: the famous steakhouse may get universally excellent reviews from people who know, like and appreciate meat, just don’t expect it to suit you if walk in as a vegetarian.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2021
Are you using the same H3Neo sheet from your old blade? or did you open a new package of H3N?

H3N is really really slow out of package IMO. Booster really makes a difference for H3.

301 is a really popular blade with mostly positive reviews, so its hard for me to imagine it being slow. I have a Fang Bo carbon, and have often hit with HL5 before too. Very high quality blades.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Read 3 reviews

Thanks

301 is inner ALC, it means it requires more effort to produce decent speed and spin.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2016
You are completely accurate about how this blade can feel. By far the slowest, most strange feeling equipment I've ever hit with. Difficult to get to the carbon layer, in your case especially with unboosted H3neo. Not sure if it's a quality control thing, I've never had trouble hitting or such an odd feeling from any other blade. Like I was swinging with a stack of soggy newspapers.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2020
I confirm what others have said. You will need to use full body stroke to get the benefit from this blade.

Perhaps you can try H3 Neo " Blue " sponge and botted slightly. It may take you 3 or 4 weeks practice
to develop the full body motion require .

You have to hit hard to access the inner carbon to kick in.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2022
Read 6 reviews
I have a 301x and HL5x - neither are slow (H3 boosted / various tensors BH) but they can feel a bit that way initially. I felt the short game was a little muted until I adjusted to the way the blade works. They have gears - once you hit harder with more intent, they are pretty fast - so much so I went back to my 5 ply as they were both a little fast for my standard.

H3 needs boosting in my opinion, and will be slow without it, but M2 should be ok to make a judgement. Stick with it and consider a different FH rubber and I’m sure it will come good. Of course it also may be technique related as was mentioned earlier.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2020

Thanks

What is the weight of your 301 blade ? How many grams of empty blade without rubber on both sides.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2022
I believe my blade came in at 86g. I know most people overestimate their skills/technique etc, but i have a really solid forehand stroke technique I will post a video when i get some footage. But yes i am so confused about this blade, just doesnt feel good at all

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2022
update: i put a boosted h3 on it and i love it now.. completely different racket, really nice!! however I dont like boosting because of health risk. Is there any rubber out there close to a boosted h3 ?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2021
As I said, unboosted H3 is really really slow. I'm not surprised that it was hard for you to play.

Without boosting, I highly recommend Bloom Power. Its very tacky, but also very fast out of the package without booster. Its fast but feels controlled and linear.

Big Dipper is fast too, but the feeling is not really close to H3. More bouncy and less controlled than Bloom.

This user has no status.
update: i put a boosted h3 on it and i love it now.. completely different racket, really nice!! however I dont like boosting because of health risk. Is there any rubber out there close to a boosted h3 ?

Loki Arthur China
Tibhar Hybrid K2
Everything else will get more expensive
Xiom has some decent alternatives like Vega China

But as long as you dont eat/drink that booster you should be fine concerning your health.

Another option might be to get yourself the neo version but in a softer version like 38

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2019
Read 2 reviews

I hate to say this again here, but there are currently NO evidence boosting has any health risks involved. Boosters have extremely low to no VOC, that's why it can't be detected using the equipment used to detect speed glue.

Reactions: dreto