Rubber for Penholder

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2012
I play chinese penhold with RPB. Well, i am learning RPB and am at an intermediate stage.
As of now, i am playing with some arbitrary rubber and am trying to go pro in the next few months.

For FH :
My FH serve is quite spinny ; And also, i am quite aggressive on the FH, so some speed would be nice.
I have kind of narrowed down to Tibhar Aurus Soft or Yakza 7. But i hear that the former has better durability.

For BH:
This is the area which is driving me nuts, I am not able to decide on the rubber. I am looking for something a little spinny with a decent to good speed.

Well, i could always ask someone, but I am from India, and i know of know coaches who teach penhold and hence whatever i am learning is from Youtube.

Any recommendations?

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I play chinese penhold with RPB. Well, i am learning RPB and am at an intermediate stage.
As of now, i am playing with some arbitrary rubber and am trying to go pro in the next few months.

For FH :
My FH serve is quite spinny ; And also, i am quite aggressive on the FH, so some speed would be nice.
I have kind of narrowed down to Tibhar Aurus Soft or Yakza 7. But i hear that the former has better durability.

For BH:
This is the area which is driving me nuts, I am not able to decide on the rubber. I am looking for something a little spinny with a decent to good speed.

Well, i could always ask someone, but I am from India, and i know of know coaches who teach penhold and hence whatever i am learning is from Youtube.

Any recommendations?

I think you are saying you are at an intermediate stage with the RPB. Is that right? What is your level in the rest of your game if you are planning to go pro in the next few months?

Just find one good rubber for the backhand and train with it to get your RBP up to speed. Xiom Omega IV Europe or Pro might be a good choice. Tenergy 05 or 64 might be a good choice. The truth of the matter is, the choice of rubber probably does not matter as much as the practice regimen if you are training to be a pro and are at a level where, in a few months you will be playing tournaments, which probably means you are basically good enough now. With players at a professional level equipment seems to just be a personal choice.

But I will say this. At the pro level more people seem to use Tenergy 64 or 05 than anything else for the backhand and the Chinese team seems to use Hurricane III Neo or Skyline III Neo for the forehand more than anything else. If you are a penholder, that is not bad information to look at,

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2012
I think you are saying you are at an intermediate stage with the RPB. Is that right? What is your level in the rest of your game if you are planning to go pro in the next few months?

The lack of "professional training from a coach" is the biggest impediment for me. As i said, my FH 'looks to be fine' as i generally do not lose any points, but the BH does dies sometimes, and i seem to be catching the ball with my hand when it comes in my BH - this disgruntles me!!!

Am not sure, but going to china and learning has surfaced in my mind a few times, but i am not sure whom to approach for this, as there is a huge language divide(also, i cannot afford too much!) But since i enjoy the game, i atleast want to take a little more seriously and hone it. I am sure that i wont be playing TT as a career, but i do want to play it a pretty good pro level.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
The lack of "professional training from a coach" is the biggest impediment for me. As i said, my FH 'looks to be fine' as i generally do not lose any points, but the BH does dies sometimes, and i seem to be catching the ball with my hand when it comes in my BH - this disgruntles me!!!

Am not sure, but going to china and learning has surfaced in my mind a few times, but i am not sure whom to approach for this, as there is a huge language divide(also, i cannot afford too much!) But since i enjoy the game, i atleast want to take a little more seriously and hone it. I am sure that i wont be playing TT as a career, but i do want to play it a pretty good pro level.

Cool. There are probably any number of rubbers that would be good for your backhand. Once you have one that works, stick with it and continue training. Not that I really know, but I have been told that the biggest issue with RPB is trying to use it almost exclusively. When you do that, I have been told, you get much better at it. But if you are trying to switch from traditional penhold backhand to RPB it can get confusing until you are really proficient with RPB. Again, I don't know. I play shakehand except when I am goofing around.

This user has no status.
Hi!
I am using Sriver G3 for RPB, Skyline 3 Neo for forehand. Sriver G3 does have a good control although it doesn't have the speed and spin that Tenergy has. If you have a good forehand, I'll suggest you to choose Tenergy for your forehand and a lighter rubber for backhand coz I find my racket too heavy when Tenergy goes with a Chinese rubber. I don't prefer a heavy racket as a penholder and I think neither do you :)

This user has no status.
You're right man! It does require a lot of hard work. I switched from traditional penhold backhand to RPB and in the process I kept losing points coz people kept attacking my backhand while I insisted not to use traditional blocking. Nevertheless, I think it's worth it coz i have developed a solid RPB and I no longer use the traditional one now :)
Actually, sometimes I think if I had started with shakehand grip I wouldn't have had to struggle that long for it -,-

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2012
Hi!
I am using Sriver G3 for RPB, Skyline 3 Neo for forehand. Sriver G3 does have a good control although it doesn't have the speed and spin that Tenergy has. If you have a good forehand, I'll suggest you to choose Tenergy for your forehand and a lighter rubber for backhand coz I find my racket too heavy when Tenergy goes with a Chinese rubber. I don't prefer a heavy racket as a penholder and I think neither do you :)

Well, i prefer a lighter one for sure. I had a GKI(dont know the rubber names etc) which was a shakehand handle earlier(many years ago) and it was heavy and the heaviness was palpable in my wrists.

Which tenergy do you suggest? I guess Tenergy 05 is the global favourite, but does it spin good. (it costs a lot).

I have kind of narrowed down to Tibhar Aurus Soft(has better durability than Rakza 7).

Also, am planning to get my blade changed. Thinking of Tibhar IVL Light Contact; dont want to invest too much on the blade.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2011
If you play penhold and you want to play it well I would definitely insist you use Skyline or Hurricane rubbers on your forehand. On the backhand I've tried many things and my friends have tried many things too. For me the best rubbers I've tried are the Sriver and my friend the Bryce series. I'm also intermediate (maybe beginner) on RPB and Sriver gives me a lot of control over what I'm doing whereas Bryce gives you a lot of raw speed which isn't necessarily a good thing. I've also tried Tenergy 05 and Donic Acuda S1 Turbo. Both excellent rubber but just too fast for a beginner like myself.

says wah sama dong kalo gitu... maen pingpong dari kelas...
says wah sama dong kalo gitu... maen pingpong dari kelas...
Nov 2011
Try the donic Coppa Jo series or stiga Boost/Calibra series. These rubbers are quite light than average, but the durability seems not good except the Calibras.
I have two sheets of LKT rubbers, my weapon is so light but has excellent power from the YEO

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2012
I got myself Aurus Soft for my FH(didnt change my BH as it works pretty fine for now - but should be changing it next week).

Well, what can i say about Aurus Soft - simply brilliant! All my serves simply befuddled my opponents and the shots were really simply not reciprocated. I just had a tough time controlling the ball and the spin as it was brand new and i hope that i grasp it in the next few days. The rubber is very forgiving and what you have to do is to simply angle the bat and the the rubber takes care of the rest. I hope to try out new serves in the coming weeks and i hope this rubber becomes a good pal of mine.

I hope the rubber does not deteriorate over the coming months - i play 1-2hrs per day and play almost on all days.

Having said that i really feel that i need to get a good blade, am playing on some crappy Artengo blade which is not at all good. And need to move to YEO soon, but i wanna do that once i improve my game in the coming months and see a marked improvement in performance.