softest tacky rubber

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2012
hi guys

which is the softest DHS tacky rubber??

hurricane, skyline or other???also haifu blue whale is softer than DHS rubbers??

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
You might want to read about the difference between topsheet or tacky spin and mechanical spin. I think that rubbers like DHS Hurricane and Skyline come in a few different durometers (hardness). I think the sponges range from something like 42-38. You don't really want a tacky rubber to have too soft a sponge. With a 38 durometer Hurricane, if you boost it, you need to make sure you don't make the sponge too soft.

Euro/Japanese rubbers have grippy topsheets which are non-tacky. These rubbers produce mechanical spin. How that works is, the ball sinks into the sponge, the topsheet wraps around the ball and grabs it, and then when the sponge springs back to it's normal shape, catapulting the ball out, it spins the ball. Because the topsheet is non-tacky, when the sponge catapults the ball, it goes in a predictable direction.

If you take a tacky rubber, with some of them, you can press a ball into the topsheet, hold it there for a while, turn the racket upside down and the ball will continue sticking to the topsheet. This will not happen with a grippy, non-tacky Euro/Japanese topsheet like Omega IV for example, but it will happen with some versions of Hurricane and it will happen with Blue Whale. So, if you took a medium sponge like one used for Omega IV Europe and put a tacky topsheet on it, what would happen is this: the ball would sink in to the sponge because the sponge is soft enough, the tacky topsheet would grab the sponge much more completely than a grippy topsheet would; the sponge would spring back to its original shape trying to catapult the ball, but, because the tacky topsheet is not just grabbing but holding onto the ball, the ball would not shoot out at a predictable angle, in fact, every time you looped, the ball would spring out at a strange and different angle, sometimes higher, sometimes lower, sometimes to the left, sometimes to the right, and it would not have to do with the spin that your opponent put on the ball or what you did with your stroke. It would have to do with the tackiness of the topsheet not letting go of the ball at a predictable time and you would never know where the ball would be going. If you went with a softer sponge like the Omega IV Elite, the effect would be even worse.

So there is a reason why rubbers that have tacky topsheets usually have sponges that are on the harder side. The technique you use to spin the ball with a tacky topsheet and a sort of hard sponge is very different than how you would spin the ball with a softer sponge and a grippy non-tacky topsheet. There is a certain amount of softer that still feels okay with tacky rubbers and then, you get to a point where the rubber responds very strangely.

A 39 durometer feels really good to me with a Hurricane. 38 still feels okay but I like 39 or 40 boosted. And these tacky rubbers all feel so much better boosted than they do if you do not boost them. Boosting gets the sponge to respond how you want. But if you boost too much the sponge gets too soft and then the ball will not go where you want it to.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2012
I have tried all the rubbers you mentioned and found that Skyline II is the most softest and most tacky. It is also light.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2012
Carl, thaks for all this info.

the thing is i have only try H3 and wildish dragon. well H3 was really nice in short game, but too much effort for topspin.
i boosted wildish dragon and the result was good. it got a litlle softer, also is thinner/lighter than H3, and felt nice at all. good short game, good control, for topspin i just lose some speed but it is more spinny.

i read wildish dragon is a medium-tacky rubber. a softer tacky than H3 i think is what i want.

it was really pleasant surprise that a 10 $ rubber plays that way...

Hurricane 3 neo - semi hard
Skyline 2- medium
Skyline 3- medium hard
skyline 3 neo - Medium
Skyline 2 nat'l version - Medium soft
Skyline 3 nat'l version -medium to medium soft (depends on the glue that you use)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2011
Hurricane 3 neo - semi hard
Skyline 2- medium
Skyline 3- medium hard
skyline 3 neo - Medium
Skyline 2 nat'l version - Medium soft
Skyline 3 nat'l version -medium to medium soft (depends on the glue that you use)

They all come in different sponge hardness levels so are you talking about the ones you tested or topsheet hardness or did you just guess it?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2012
They all come in different sponge hardness levels so are you talking about the ones you tested or topsheet hardness or did you just guess it?
Agree. Those rubbers have different sponge hardness levels.
But, there are no a lot of versions in my country , only a version is possible.

as i used Skyline II as my FH , i feel it is soft and half-tacky.
in Taiwan ,we say Skyline II is a mix of japan-style and chinese-style.

last, you won't really want soft and tacky rubbers.
tacky rubbers need hard sponge to support in order to make spin.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2012
Agree. Those rubbers have different sponge hardness levels.
But, there are no a lot of versions in my country , only a version is possible.

as i used Skyline II as my FH , i feel it is soft and half-tacky.
in Taiwan ,we say Skyline II is a mix of japan-style and chinese-style.

last, you won't really want soft and tacky rubbers.
tacky rubbers need hard sponge to support in order to make spin.

can you compare h3 neo to tg2 neo? spin, speed sponge hardness, throw angle, control, which is better for looping? thnx in advance