Ma Long then and now!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2011
Hey guys,

malongwtttc2012sf.jpg

Ma Long: photo by: Xinhua/Ma Ning

Here's a video of Ma Long in 2005!
He played against Timo Boll (MS-QF) in the Swedish Open.

Then watch him play in 2012 below! That is a huge difference! :)

Hope you enjoyed it! What is the difference? What are the developments in his game?

ttPoster

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2011
Was the Swedish open before or after the German open where Ma Long beat Timo in 2005?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2011
It's before, the German open was in this year.

I meant the 2005 German open

So, was this before or after the Swedish open 2005?

EDIT:

I checked from the ITTF website and the German open was held 9th November - 13th November, and the Swedish open 17-20 of November.
So, actually Ma Long beat Timo Boll just about a week before the Swedish open. I guess Timo learned his lesson.

Last edited:
Reactions: TT Guru
says Shop mulberry bags collections online,We offer you huge...
says Shop mulberry bags collections online,We offer you huge...
May 2012
I like ping-pong games. And the London Olympic games must be very wonderful.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2012
For me, it is tough to compare his strategy with those two videos because he's playing different opponents.. What I noticed is his block has become stronger now... He has more control over it as well. Also, the over the table backhand counterloop that he plays against Dima is missing in his match against Boll. He plays more pushes in that match against Boll than he would usually do. Not sure why he was playing to the lefty's forehand so often considering his weak(er) block. But the most important thing is exposure at the highest level, playing and winning big matches has made a huge psychological difference. Just knowing you can do it, no matter the conditions/opponent, is often a breaking point in a player's mind.