Video of Me and my friend Playing

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2012
hi, when i started table tennis after about 2 months i invited my friend....he said "ew yuck" but i told him its really fun, so he decided to try and he really liked it...well not really...but now he likes it alot and so do i, we have been training together lately...so can anyone give us some tips on what we are doing wrong? this is just a drilling kinda thing not a actual match :) im the one in the white hes in the blue :D

Thanks!

Jordan & Angelico (My Friend)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2010
you guys have really good fundamentals considering how short of a time you've been playing. hard to really judge from drills, easier to judge in gameplay what should be fixed but i'm impressed. as you play more and more your strokes will naturally smoothen out at least in my experience. i'd recommend the guy in blue fix his backhand a bit, its kinda far out

Reactions: Dan
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2012
thanks for your replies sir cmetsbeltran15 and Der_Echte , yes his backhand isnt that good yet because thats the latest stroke he is learning its been only a few days of him actually being able to use it...the problem in that video is he cant controll his backhand drive he only knows how to do backhand topspin...and i told him to drive...so he wasnt used to it....but its okay he will learn eventually because thats how he started out on his forehand also...:) we will go to the gym this coming wednesday and play there so that we have space...ill upload the vid of our game when we get back :D thanks for your tips :D

Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀

Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀
Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
Hey Guys!

How long have you both been playing for? Whats ya names? :)

You both have very good basics, heres some little technical things I picked up when watching. But don't take these tips to on board.. technique is not everything and try to focus on being relaxed when you guys play and most importantly have fun! :)

Some tips for you guys

- Have shoulders and body facing the direction of ball when playing a backhand
- Move your feet when the ball is played towards your cross over point on the forehand side. (Generally always been moving behind the ball)
- On your forehand topspin, try to have a little more backswing and less follow through I think. Other then that your techniques are great. Maybe a little more rotation from hips and legs. So your weight begins on your left leg and projects onto your right.

You two are very promising players, do you have a local club? You should try to also practice against all different types of styles. This will benefit your ball control and game greatly.

Have you ever tried using multi ball training on one another?

Remember, developing serves and returns is also a essential part of the game :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2012
hello sir Dan :)

no more than a few months sir, my name is Jordan and my friends name is Angelico

-okay will try that sir, i was just on facebook and i told my friend that some people saw my thread,i sent him the link and he saw the comments about his backhand and he instantly told me "help me on my backhand man" so this tip will very much help :)

-will do, been trying that haha but my footwork isnt so great, but i will try :D

-this i have tried many times haha ive tried a swing like ma long where i let my arm go fully extended and stop the stroke right above my eyes but my dad (he is unorthodox) tells me i should just stick to a small stroke so that i make less errors, he says its okay to use that once i get better, but i guess ill try it more to where im good at it so that he will agree with me haha oh and thanks for the weight balance tips

thanks :) well we dont have anyclub but we play at my house, and at our school we will be going undertrainees this year so that we can experience different styles...that was one of my problems...i thought i was good enough to play with other people because my dad said im getting better...but we didnt realise that i was only getting better AGAINST MY DAD hahah when he brought me to a club that he used to play in when he was little....i got beat like crazy ahaha so i hope to gain more experience against other players along with my friend angelico...about the multiball....nope..but i do have a robot....but the problem with the robot is that ourgarage is out in the open so its a pain to pick up all the balls...

yes sir that is both of our weaknesses haha we will work on it more :D

thanks for all the tips!!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2011
The forehand is good! You can always control the ball direction when doing the forehand drill by adjusting the pointing direction of your paddle at the end of your forehand stroke, as long as the opponent does not put way too much spin. But since you guys are one right handed and one left handed, so I would say whatever :D

Probably just be more confidence on your backhand, then you two will become better. :)

But yeah, keep your hard work on!

says hAHAHAHA THANX MATE :D
says hAHAHAHA THANX MATE :D
Mar 2011
Thanx for posting the video Venus:).

I think the guys covered most. I just want to stress on 4 things:)..
1. Bend your knees a bit more.
2. When you're doing drives, you tend to push the ball instead of hitting it.
3. Footwork can be a little better. I see you guys reaching as if you're glued to the floor hehehe
4. Confidence when hitting the ball. Remember, you're the one controlling the ball, NOT the other way round:)

All in all, great effort I have to say!! Brilliant! Keep it up. Go to clubs and improve the basics a bit more or else you guys will start picking up bad habits. With bad habits, you may get away with them against mediocre players, but you may be in trouble against players with good fundamentals, and before you know it, you can't get rid of these bad habits. :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2010
Ok you boys have some nice technique coming and need to keep practising hard. The camera angle isn't fantastic for the backhand but that is certainly an area you need to look at.

In simple terms the shot is a bit long and not economical in movement or direction. You play a little too much from the shoulder and should play more from the elbow. ( think about throwing a frisbee!)
This issue wont show up so much in a regular drill but when you dont know where the ball is coming it will be a bigger problem.

Remember to contact the ball at the 'top of the bounce' or earlier and to accelerate you bat into the ball.

Would be interesting to see you play with a combination of shots!

New feature will be coming soon!! check out ' Ask the Coach' on Tabletennisdaily- the Home of Table Tennis

This user has no status.
I actually taught some kids to throw a frisbee so that they get the idea of how to do a backhand stroke. It is good that I am not the only one with that idea :) and guys keep it up and I know it is fun to play but focus more on training and it is good that your friend is getting more interesting in learning when he read the comments...

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2012
The forehand is good! You can always control the ball direction when doing the forehand drill by adjusting the pointing direction of your paddle at the end of your forehand stroke, as long as the opponent does not put way too much spin. But since you guys are one right handed and one left handed, so I would say whatever :D

Probably just be more confidence on your backhand, then you two will become better. :)

But yeah, keep your hard work on!

Thanx for posting the video Venus:).

I think the guys covered most. I just want to stress on 4 things:)..
1. Bend your knees a bit more.
2. When you're doing drives, you tend to push the ball instead of hitting it.
3. Footwork can be a little better. I see you guys reaching as if you're glued to the floor hehehe
4. Confidence when hitting the ball. Remember, you're the one controlling the ball, NOT the other way round:)

All in all, great effort I have to say!! Brilliant! Keep it up. Go to clubs and improve the basics a bit more or else you guys will start picking up bad habits. With bad habits, you may get away with them against mediocre players, but you may be in trouble against players with good fundamentals, and before you know it, you can't get rid of these bad habits. :)

thanks sir azlan! i always appreciate ur replies! u have replied to almost all my posts! thanks sir! i will try follow everything u have said : except the clubs thing...thats the problem...here (im in the PH atm) tehres not much clubs...its hard to find one haha

Ok you boys have some nice technique coming and need to keep practising hard. The camera angle isn't fantastic for the backhand but that is certainly an area you need to look at.

In simple terms the shot is a bit long and not economical in movement or direction. You play a little too much from the shoulder and should play more from the elbow. ( think about throwing a frisbee!)
This issue wont show up so much in a regular drill but when you dont know where the ball is coming it will be a bigger problem.

Remember to contact the ball at the 'top of the bounce' or earlier and to accelerate you bat into the ball.

Would be interesting to see you play with a combination of shots!

New feature will be coming soon!! check out ' Ask the Coach' on Tabletennisdaily- the Home of Table Tennis

thank you sir! yes i will try the elbow thing...im currently uploading a video of me playing about 4 months ago and i think my backhand was better then...haha

I actually taught some kids to throw a frisbee so that they get the idea of how to do a backhand stroke. It is good that I am not the only one with that idea :) and guys keep it up and I know it is fun to play but focus more on training and it is good that your friend is getting more interesting in learning when he read the comments...

ive tried that...but...i cant really say it worked for me...my backhand actually got ruined...i will try to fix my backhand again...im uploading a old vid of my backhand.....some people at my school told me to do the frisbee thingy...and to use my wrist more...and i got used to it and i thought i got better but when i watched the vid...my stroke was totally ruined and i regretted it...you guys can judge it soon when my old vid is done uploading :)

nice!! very good for only 2 months!! :)

haha thanks...but im sorry i think there is some misunderstanding...ive actually been playing for about 8 months now total haha i think u got the 2 months thing from what i said up there but what i really meant was that my friends started playing 2 months after i was already playing..in short i was saying i got a 2 month headstart in table tennis before him :)

I remember my self when i was playing like this last year hahah :) Good Job bro's!!
i see power and it is good :)

haha thanks man ! btw i see ur from the PH? im here right now haha..well ive moved here 2 years ago...my dad wants me to finish my highschool here haha because in america i was homeschooled because he doesnt want me to get bad influenced....so now that im in highschool we moved here because he said people here have more respect and act better and arent such bad influences hahaha! but ill be going back after highschool im 3rd year now :)

THANKS EVERYONE!!! i will post the old vid from january in a few mins when its done uploading so you guys can judge which backhand was better before or after :) but no doubt my forehand is much better now :D

oh and about my friend...can anyone give him more tips? or should we just follow verything your guys said so far? because im the one thats basically teaching him...and im a beginner just like him...all i can teach him is stuff i learn from watching the tournaments on ittf...so should i just keep teaching him or should i make him watch the vids himself? he gets kinda lazy to watch he wants to just play haha

Last edited:

haha thanks...but im sorry i think there is some misunderstanding...ive actually been playing for about 8 months now total haha i think u got the 2 months thing from what i said up there but what i really meant was that my friends started playing 2 months after i was already playing..in short i was saying i got a 2 month headstart in table tennis before him :)

haha thanks man ! btw i see ur from the PH? im here right now haha..well ive moved here 2 years ago...my dad wants me to finish my highschool here haha because in america i was homeschooled because he doesnt want me to get bad influenced....so now that im in highschool we moved here because he said people here have more respect and act better and arent such bad influences hahaha! but ill be going back after highschool im 3rd year now :)
please add me on facebook sir. [email protected]

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2012
oh and one more question....so like when i do forehand loop i grip my racket so super tight...but when i do backhand loop my hand becomes crazy loose...so as a result...my hold becomes different...so if i get my backhand loop in and the ball comes back to my forehand i have to change my grip again....which is kinda bad...hahah so should i hold them both tight? or both loose? thanks :D

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2011
heres the video of my old backhand from january

i honestly think my old backhand was better:) but my forehand is definately better now ! :D

Ok, from this video I can see why old backhand is alittle better than the current one. If you look in the video, you waited the ball drop (and sometimes too low) before you hit the ball. So, this may results that you find yourself (or it looks like) is uncomfortable with the backhand. Try to hit the ball when the ball at its highest height after the bounce. You can see a great change, and also a little easier to control whether you want a flat hit or top spin.

oh and one more question....so like when i do forehand loop i grip my racket so super tight...but when i do backhand loop my hand becomes crazy loose...so as a result...my hold becomes different...so if i get my backhand loop in and the ball comes back to my forehand i have to change my grip again....which is kinda bad...hahah so should i hold them both tight? or both loose? thanks :D

I would say up to you. Like Timo Boll he got two different grip for BH and FH. Although I play penhold, but sometimes I will hold it tight, sometimes just loose it up, depending on whether it is flip or drive or loop or push.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2012
Ok, from this video I can see why old backhand is alittle better than the current one. If you look in the video, you waited the ball drop (and sometimes too low) before you hit the ball. So, this may results that you find yourself (or it looks like) is uncomfortable with the backhand. Try to hit the ball when the ball at its highest height after the bounce. You can see a great change, and also a little easier to control whether you want a flat hit or top spin.

ohh ok than...ill try hitting it earlier then? thanks:)

I would say up to you. Like Timo Boll he got two different grip for BH and FH. Although I play penhold, but sometimes I will hold it tight, sometimes just loose it up, depending on whether it is flip or drive or loop or push.

ohh okay so i think its fine if i use 2 grips thanks man!