Feedback and suggestions on my TT bats

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2022
Hi All,
I need some suggestions and thoughts on the equipment I am currently using.
My Background:
I am 44 and resumed table tennis since last 6 months after a huge gap of 20 years. I play 5 days a week for 1.5 hrs a day. So, I would consider myself a little more than a beginner since I can do a variety of serves (pendulum sidespin, topspin, backhand serves, shovel, tomahawk etc. practicing the reverse pendulum now) easily and win points.
I can play topspins on counters decently but sometimes struggle with opening a backspin with topspin (the success is 50%). My pushes and chops are consistently good.
Backhand attack is weak and I am not a 2 winged looper. I prefer pushing/chopping with BH and attack with FH. I rarely do flat hits and more focused on topspin attacks.

My Equipment:
1. Andro Treiber CO OFF/S blade (this is outer carbon) with DHS Hurricane 8 mid-hard on FH and Yasaka Rakza Z extra hard on BH (Bat weight 192 gms)
2. Andro Gauzy BL 7 OFF blade (7 plies of wood) with Andro Hexer Powergrip on FH & Andro Rasanter R48 on BH (Bat weight 192 gms)
3. Yinhe Y13 blade (Wood and fiber glass) with Yinhe Big Dipper 4 on FH and Moon Pro on BH (Bat weight 181 gms)

I initially had the Andro Treiber CO OFF/S blade with Andro Hexer Powergrip & Andro Rasanter R48 combo and struggled with CONTROL massively. attacks were very fast according to feedback from my opponents and coach but my blocks landed far away from the table. The bat was too fast for my skills

Then I got the bat with Andro Gauzy BL 7 OFF blade with DHS Hurricane 8 mid-hard on FH and Yasaka Rakza Z extra hard. My control improved and I was able to block deadliest of attacks well to land on the table, but my attacks lacked power terribly. Besides the bat was heavy at 204 gms!! I feel RakzaZ is faster and bouncier than H8.

Then I swapped the rubber and blade to make the #1 and #2 equipment mentioned above. With #1 I am having decent results with control and topspins although attacks still lack some strength. But with the tacky rubbers, my serves are spinny and puts opponents in trouble.
With #2 bat, I still struggle a bit with the control but it is far better than I had with the super fast outer carbon blade and Andro tensors mentioned above.

#3 is a very inexpensive bat (cost me US $ 55 or INR 4500) but quite interesting. The feel is not as exciting as the #1 and #2 bats.

Now the questions I have are:
1. Which of the above bats is a good combo of the blade and rubbers?
2. Is an outer carbon blade good fit for tacky rubbers?
3. Considering my age and playing level should I even consider using tacky rubbers or I am better off with tensors? (I would only be competing in local leagues and competitions and nothing more)
3. Should I consider having pips on BH and an inverted rubber on FH? I see players struggle playing against pimpled rubbers at the local leagues.
4. My TT partner who is at the same level as mine has a Stiga Offensive CR blade with Yasaka Rakza 7 on FH and Andro Hexer Powergrip on BH. His opening FH loops of topspins on backspins are better quality than mine and a little more consistent as well. His passive blocks are consistent too. So, do I still need to have a blade with more control and tensor rubbers rather than the Chinese style hybrids? If yes, I would highly appreciate good bat combo suggestions.
I know I have to work more on my technique as well but I am looking to have a bat that is 'forgiving' and makes me feel at home with the good amount of control, spin and capability to attack.

Thanks in advance :)

says [IMG]
I have no experience on the chinese equipment, so I won't comment on these.

1) There is no such thing as good combo of blade and rubbers. A good combo, is a combo YOU feel comfortable with (despite what everyone else is saying)
2) Generally: yes. As tacky rubbers are not that fast so the (outer) carbon helps to generates speed.
3) Switching to pips is a drastic measure and not your golden ticket to a better backhand. If you haven't played pips before, it will take a long time to understand the rubber and adapt your playing stye.
4) The reason your partner is more consistent, is his equipment (I can't comment on his level of playing as I haven't seen a vid). His equipment is much slower and controllable. The blade an ALL+/OFF- blade and R7 is a great rubber with lots of control. PowerGrip is also a decent rubber

You say your backhand is weak, however, your rubber for the backhand does not match this. RZ Extra Hard and R48 are not the correct rubbers if you have a weak backhand. Sure, it gives a good feeling when you hit the ball perfect and you generate a massive clear winner. But....how many times are we (regular mortals) able to hit the ball really perfect? Not that many times I would say. A game is won on consistency and accuracy, not on speed. Don't try to compensate your weakness with equipment. Instead, train and improve your technique. Personally, I believe that speed should come from your technique and body movement and not from the equipment. If you continue to develop your game, confidence and technique, you could get higher performance equipment in a lter stage.

Just my 2 cents....

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Hi All,
My Background:
I am 44 and resumed table tennis since last 6 months after a huge gap of 20 years. I play 5 days a week for 1.5 hrs a day. So, I would consider myself a little more than a beginner since I can do a variety of serves (pendulum sidespin, topspin, backhand serves, shovel, tomahawk etc. practicing the reverse pendulum now) easily and win points.
I can play topspins on counters decently but sometimes struggle with opening a backspin with topspin (the success is 50%). My pushes and chops are consistently good.
Backhand attack is weak and I am not a 2 winged looper. I prefer pushing/chopping with BH and attack with FH. I rarely do flat hits and more focused on topspin attacks.

My Equipment:
1. Andro Treiber CO OFF/S blade (this is outer carbon) with DHS Hurricane 8 mid-hard on FH and Yasaka Rakza Z extra hard on BH (Bat weight 192 gms)
2. Andro Gauzy BL 7 OFF blade (7 plies of wood) with Andro Hexer Powergrip on FH & Andro Rasanter R48 on BH (Bat weight 192 gms)
3. Yinhe Y13 blade (Wood and fiber glass) with Yinhe Big Dipper 4 on FH and Moon Pro on BH (Bat weight 181 gms)

I initially had the Andro Treiber CO OFF/S blade with Andro Hexer Powergrip & Andro Rasanter R48 combo and struggled with CONTROL massively. attacks were very fast according to feedback from my opponents and coach but my blocks landed far away from the table. The bat was too fast for my skills

Then I got the bat with Andro Gauzy BL 7 OFF blade with DHS Hurricane 8 mid-hard on FH and Yasaka Rakza Z extra hard. My control improved and I was able to block deadliest of attacks well to land on the table, but my attacks lacked power terribly. Besides the bat was heavy at 204 gms!! I feel RakzaZ is faster and bouncier than H8.

Then I swapped the rubber and blade to make the #1 and #2 equipment mentioned above. With #1 I am having decent results with control and topspins although attacks still lack some strength. But with the tacky rubbers, my serves are spinny and puts opponents in trouble.
With #2 bat, I still struggle a bit with the control but it is far better than I had with the super fast outer carbon blade and Andro tensors mentioned above.

#3 is a very inexpensive bat (cost me US $ 55 or INR 4500) but quite interesting. The feel is not as exciting as the #1 and #2 bats.

3. Considering my age and playing level should I even consider using tacky rubbers or I am better off with tensors? (I would only be competing in local leagues and competitions and nothing more)
3. Should I consider having pips on BH and an inverted rubber on FH? I see players struggle playing against pimpled rubbers at the local leagues.
4. My TT partner who is at the same level as mine has a Stiga Offensive CR blade with Yasaka Rakza 7 on FH and Andro Hexer Powergrip on BH. His opening FH loops of topspins on backspins are better quality than mine and a little more consistent as well. His passive blocks are consistent too. So, do I still need to have a blade with more control and tensor rubbers rather than the Chinese style hybrids? If yes, I would highly appreciate good bat combo suggestions.
I know I have to work more on my technique as well but I am looking to have a bat that is 'forgiving' and makes me feel at home with the good amount of control, spin and capability to attack.

Hi All,
My Background:

My Equipment:

Hi All,
My Background:
Backhand attack is weak and I am not a 2 winged looper. I prefer pushing/chopping with BH and attack with FH. I rarely do flat hits and more focused on topspin attacks. I play close to the table

My Equipment:

Saurabh, you have made the same exact thread with the same exact text 3 times. Why? I have merged them all into one thread. If you make a thread with the same exact content over and again, it will clutter the forum with multiple threads that are redundant. Please don't do it again.

I have freed you from the spam filter twice. This might be because of the location where you are getting your internet connection.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
His posting 3 copies may not be the fault of teh OP. I have made this mistake a few times as well as many many forum newcomers.
What happens sometimes is that when you press post, the post does not complete either due to slow internet connection as you stated or when some trolls (in this forum has been a few lately) use VPN to hide their identity.
So what happens is that these new posters press post button multiple times thinking the first button press did not complete the posting. This is how one ends up with multiple copies.
But most newbies do not know how to delete the copies. Also in the past the red delete button did not show up.

Another thing. I think few posters (not me I swear) complained to you about the wrong Indian flag three times (in this case OP's flag) but you have not done anything about it. I may be wrong but I checked to see if the user can fix the flag but it lloks like they cannot🤨

Yeah. That does happen. But at least one of them was hours after the first two.

As for the flags, there are a lot of tech issues with the site that have not been addressed and I have no control over those.

Part of the purpose of my post was so that he saw there were responses and perhaps realized his post did go live even though he was stuck in the spam filter a few times.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2022
His posting 3 copies may not be the fault of teh OP. I have made this mistake a few times as well as many many forum newcomers.
What happens sometimes is that when you press post, the post does not complete either due to slow internet connection as you stated or when some trolls (in this forum has been a few lately) use VPN to hide their identity.
So what happens is that these new posters press post button multiple times thinking the first button press did not complete the posting. This is how one ends up with multiple copies.
But most newbies do not know how to delete the copies. Also in the past the red delete button did not show up.

Another thing. I think few posters (not me I swear) complained to you about the wrong Indian flag three times (in this case OP's flag) but you have not done anything about it. I may be wrong but I checked to see if the user can fix the flag but it lloks like they cannot🤨

Apologies for the multiple copies and I can assure it was purely unintentional. Its exactly what Kanyae mentioned. The post button didn't work after hitting it couple of times. Then I gave up, and after some time (may be an hour or so) went back to the home screen and checked if my post was visible on the latest forums. It wasn't and that's when I tried it once again only to realize it appeared twice later in the day. And now I am seeing the 3rd copy also being published.
Also could not find an option to delete the additional posts. So, I am happy if you delete the extras and just keep one of those. Or if you could let me know the procedure to delete the post myself, I am happy to do that as well. Thanks for your support & understanding!

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
You could spend 300,000 INR to purchase 0.04% of blades out there and another 100,000 on a few sets of rubbers to test them out...

OR...

You could buy what Ma Long uses.

Either way, you will be out of a LOT of cash and still be going nowhere good.

Keep your second blade, slap sumthing softish modern dynamic control oriented like maybe Razka 7 or FX-P or any of a hundred in that category and stay with it a while. You will be spending the least amount of new money and having a chance to go in the right direction. After a while, it will become apparent what your developed game requires for you in terms of equipment.. what I mentioned (keep blade 2 and slap on softer control rubbers) will get you there to that decision/realization point.

You are talking like the typical over-excited over-analyzing TT forum newb making it WAY more difficult than it needs to be.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2022
You could spend 300,000 INR to purchase 0.04% of blades out there and another 100,000 on a few sets of rubbers to test them out...

OR...

You could buy what Ma Long uses.

Either way, you will be out of a LOT of cash and still be going nowhere good.

Keep your second blade, slap sumthing softish modern dynamic control oriented like maybe Razka 7 or FX-P or any of a hundred in that category and stay with it a while. You will be spending the least amount of new money and having a chance to go in the right direction. After a while, it will become apparent what your developed game requires for you in terms of equipment.. what I mentioned (keep blade 2 and slap on softer control rubbers) will get you there to that decision/realization point.

You are talking like the typical over-excited over-analyzing TT forum newb making it WAY more difficult than it needs to be.

Thanks a lot for the detailed feedback and suggestion. This helps a lot. I have access to Andro dealers easily so would Andro Rasanter R42 or R45 be good on the "Andro gauzy BL7 Off" all wood blade for a good mix of control and spin for a developing player? Rakza 7 sometimes could be out of stock here so would Rakza 7 soft also work?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2022
So, I got lucky here to get a fresh stock of Yasaka Rakza 7 soft. Bought 2 sheets with 'maximum' thickness as that was the only option available and played for 2 hrs. Well well well, what a pleasant surprise. Good short play, good speed, very good spin and excellent control. I play close or medium distance to the table and it does very well! Quite forgiving, does some magical topspins getting the ball on the table from nowhere! Handles incoming spin well. Spin on serves is good however not close to the one I produce using Hurricane 8 mid-hard. Need to do some adjustments to get closer. Works like a charm with Andro Gauzy BL7 off blade. The bat also weighs lighter at 182 gms than what it was with the same blade with Andro Rasanter R48 and Hexer Powergrip (192 gms).
Now I can finally forget about the equipment and focus on the game and improvements!

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
So, I got lucky here to get a fresh stock of Yasaka Rakza 7 soft. Bought 2 sheets with 'maximum' thickness as that was the only option available and played for 2 hrs. Well well well, what a pleasant surprise. Good short play, good speed, very good spin and excellent control. I play close or medium distance to the table and it does very well! Quite forgiving, does some magical topspins getting the ball on the table from nowhere! Handles incoming spin well. Spin on serves is good however not close to the one I produce using Hurricane 8 mid-hard. Need to do some adjustments to get closer. Works like a charm with Andro Gauzy BL7 off blade. The bat also weighs lighter at 182 gms than what it was with the same blade with Andro Rasanter R48 and Hexer Powergrip (192 gms).
Now I can finally forget about the equipment and focus on the game and improvements!
Saurabh, for some reason our spam catching filter does not like the IP address you are using. Every time you have posted I have had to go pull you out of the spam filter.

Are you using a public source for your internet like wifi from an internet cafe or something? Or is that IP from your home?

You don't have to answer. I am just wondering if there is a way to make it so you don't keep getting your account frozen by the spam filter.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2022
Saurabh, for some reason our spam catching filter does not like the IP address you are using. Every time you have posted I have had to go pull you out of the spam filter.

Are you using a public source for your internet like wifi from an internet cafe or something? Or is that IP from your home?

You don't have to answer. I am just wondering if there is a way to make it so you don't keep getting your account frozen by the spam filter.

I am using my home broadband. Just wondering if there is a difference in which the website treats the replies. This reply is being posted by doing a 'reply to UpsideDownCarl's post'. Has this also gone into the spam filter too?

The previous one that you responded to was done using the 'POST QUICK REPLY' button at the bottom after typing into the blank rich text editor control.

None of my posts have been from outside my home in India.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2019
Read 3 reviews
Hi. I use Chinese rubbers and blades in multiple variants, so perhaps I can give you some information here. I'm 53 and use these rubbers, and they just need some more work than normal Euro/Jap rubbers.

Now I've used the Yinhe Y13 blade. It's quite stiff and fast and didn't give me a good playing sensation. Using Chinese rubbers, I've come to the conclusion that many ALC blades work nice. The harder the sponge is, the more important it is to have a harder, stiffer blade to engage the sponge in the best way. Of course this is only my own experience.

The Yinhe Big Dipper 4 wasn't too good either, when I changed to it from my ordinary Big Dipper. It's a slower rubber and I wasn't able to produce the spin that I was used to using Big Dipper. What Moon Pro hardness do you use for backhand? Moon Pro Hard is a really good substitute for say DHS Hurricane 3 NEO as a forehand rubber in my opinion. The Medium version was much too slow for my forehand, so it could be a good backhand rubber.

I have tried blades like Yinhe V14 PRO, Sanwei HC 5S, Sanwei EX-C Froster, 729 Yellow ALC, DHS Power G5X and Sanwei V5 PRO (7ply wooden) and they all give me a good touch using harder chinese rubbers like DHS Hurricane 3, 729 Battle Max Pro, Yinhe Big Dipper, the new Sanwei Target National or LOKI Arthur China. And if you want to try something not as much Chinese, check out 729 Presto Max Speed & Spin or Sanwei Gear Hyper. These are allround/offensive non tacky rubbers, reminding of euro/jap rubbers but more linear and that gives you the spin capabilities and at the same time a more controlled rubber.

As for backhand. I use Big Dipper 38deg. It gives me the control and spin properties I need, and at the same time I'm able to attack quite good with topspin. I used the DHS H8-80 38 deg for a while, but it didn't fit me in all aspects. But it could work for you. If you like the spin oriented game, don't go for pips. I think you'll regret it. But you could always try of course.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews

I am using my home broadband. Just wondering if there is a difference in which the website treats the replies. This reply is being posted by doing a 'reply to UpsideDownCarl's post'. Has this also gone into the spam filter too?

The previous one that you responded to was done using the 'POST QUICK REPLY' button at the bottom after typing into the blank rich text editor control.

None of my posts have been from outside my home in India.

I don't think quick reply or reply to post matters. However, at this point, you did not go to spam filter. Sooooooo.....who knows. Glad you didn't.

Perhaps I have released you from the spam filter enough times. But, if it happens again, I will just keep on releasing you till it decides you are okay. :)

Sorry that it keeps doing that to you. Glad it did not this time.

Reactions: saurabhnavangul
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2022
Hi. I use Chinese rubbers and blades in multiple variants, so perhaps I can give you some information here. I'm 53 and use these rubbers, and they just need some more work than normal Euro/Jap rubbers.

Now I've used the Yinhe Y13 blade. It's quite stiff and fast and didn't give me a good playing sensation. Using Chinese rubbers, I've come to the conclusion that many ALC blades work nice. The harder the sponge is, the more important it is to have a harder, stiffer blade to engage the sponge in the best way. Of course this is only my own experience.

The Yinhe Big Dipper 4 wasn't too good either, when I changed to it from my ordinary Big Dipper. It's a slower rubber and I wasn't able to produce the spin that I was used to using Big Dipper. What Moon Pro hardness do you use for backhand? Moon Pro Hard is a really good substitute for say DHS Hurricane 3 NEO as a forehand rubber in my opinion. The Medium version was much too slow for my forehand, so it could be a good backhand rubber.

I have tried blades like Yinhe V14 PRO, Sanwei HC 5S, Sanwei EX-C Froster, 729 Yellow ALC, DHS Power G5X and Sanwei V5 PRO (7ply wooden) and they all give me a good touch using harder chinese rubbers like DHS Hurricane 3, 729 Battle Max Pro, Yinhe Big Dipper, the new Sanwei Target National or LOKI Arthur China. And if you want to try something not as much Chinese, check out 729 Presto Max Speed & Spin or Sanwei Gear Hyper. These are allround/offensive non tacky rubbers, reminding of euro/jap rubbers but more linear and that gives you the spin capabilities and at the same time a more controlled rubber.

As for backhand. I use Big Dipper 38deg. It gives me the control and spin properties I need, and at the same time I'm able to attack quite good with topspin. I used the DHS H8-80 38 deg for a while, but it didn't fit me in all aspects. But it could work for you. If you like the spin oriented game, don't go for pips. I think you'll regret it. But you could always try of course.

Thank you for the elaborate response and thoughts. I agree with you that the Yinhe Y13 is fast and stiff and lacked the 'feel'. I have the medium hardness of Moon Pro and it is slower than the big dipper 4 for sure. The Y13 compensated a bit in the speed department for these 2 rubbers. But overall, the feel is just not there. So I have put that bat aside. I have a limited choice w.r.t Chinese blades or rubbers here. No Sanwei or no choice to select the hardness for Hurricanes or MoonPro or others. So its basically take what the stores have and try your luck! So I have now decided to save some money and get rid of the gear acquisition syndrome (G.A.S) to focus on the most important thing- my game! My main bat since yesterday is Andro Gauzy BL7 OFF (7 ply wood)+Yasaka Rakza soft on both sides. The other bat that I will use intermittently is Andro Treiber CO OFF/S + DHS H8 mid-hard on FH and RakzaZ extra hard on backhand. The outer carbon on this blade seems to work well with the tacky rubbers. Oh yes, I just won a match in a reputed tournament with my main bat today. So I am in love with Rakza 7 soft😁 . One thing I noticed is opponents had trouble dealing with some of my serves with DHS H8 as compared to Rakza 7 soft but the Rakza 7 soft has some magical qualities of getting the ball on the table from nowhere and be alive in rallies to win those

Reactions: mocker88
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews

.....gear acquisition syndrome (G.A.S).....

On TT forums (other gear heavy sports and/or hobbies as well) there is another term for this: Equipment Junkie usually shortened to EJ and often referred to as the EJ Virus because of how addictive it is and how it effects your brain. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: saurabhnavangul