Need advice on a new set-up, with Donic Black Devil :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2011
Hi all

Im making a new bat for a friend as a gift:eek:plz gimme some advice

Donic Black Devil (light & fast)
FH: DHS TG3 #21 (relatively soft, but less power)
BH: 729 Focus 3 Snipe (quite slow & spin, as far as i know)

The following are the things im trying to achieve.
1. light
2. enormous spin
3. above average speed (slow rubbers+fast blade??)
4. soft touch with control

Is this a reasonable set-up?? My friend doesn't like tension rubbers. Can anyone think of better blade or rubber selection?

Many thanks :eek:

says http://www.cornilleau-competition.com/EN/index.html
Mar 2011
Read 8 reviews
This should be good if he is intermediate and dont want tensioned or built in glue effect rubbers... Faster blade helps boost the chinese rubbers, but don't expect a speed demon. It will probably be like an allround blade with Boost TP... Only harder and with more spin ;)

Correct me if I have misunderstood you question for the setup :)

Mar 2011
Read 8 reviews
I always like Sriver...they're still relatively good:). Btw, can I be your friend? I'll let you know my blade set-up and save you the trouble of trying to figure out the set-up that I want :)

Good one Azlan:) The reason I didn't think of Sriver was I think it is "dead" without speed-glue... But this guy didn't want anything bouncy and tensioned, so maybe the Sriver will be right :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2011
I always like Sriver...they're still relatively good:). Btw, can I be your friend? I'll let you know my blade set-up and save you the trouble of trying to figure out the set-up that I want :)
haha, of cuz u can be my friend, except i dont have enough $$ to buy u another blade :p
The reason we choose TG3 #21 (which is a softer sponge), is that my friend used to play with H3 back then, however, now he wants something a little softer (& maybe lighter), but yet, still has that good spin and control of the H3. Are we looking at the right rubber here? or do u guys have other good ideas? we're worried with sriver, we won't get that nice spin close to the good old H3:eek:

says hAHAHAHA THANX MATE :D
says hAHAHAHA THANX MATE :D
Mar 2011
Oh yes, tackfires are good rubbers. Ekrips, Srivers (EL & FX), Tackfire (C soft, C, Drive or Special Soft) are all good. I have a friend who still uses Srivers without speed glue, and he still can generate massive spin and speed from them. You may need a faster blade to accommodate it, and even I can get the ball to swing, spin and zoom across the table with his equipment. Maybe because both of us really put our backs into every shot. And he uses this set up for tournaments! :)

My advice is get a relatively hard to medium rubbers to get the most out of them since you're not using speed glue.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2011
Oh yes, tackfires are good rubbers. Ekrips, Srivers (EL & FX), Tackfire (C soft, C, Drive or Special Soft) are all good. I have a friend who still uses Srivers without speed glue, and he still can generate massive spin and speed from them. You may need a faster blade to accommodate it, and even I can get the ball to swing, spin and zoom across the table with his equipment. Maybe because both of us really put our backs into every shot. And he uses this set up for tournaments! :)

My advice is get a relatively hard to medium rubbers to get the most out of them since you're not using speed glue.

is Donic Black Devil not fast enough then?!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2011
I can't say because I never in my life uses Donic:) hehe Any opinion I had given here are based on personal experience rather than what I read:)...and honestly, I am not familiar with Donic. Sorry buddy...:)
fair enough, thx anyway :)
Last year, i actually played with my friend's Black Devil. He had some soft Narucross rubbers on. It felt fairly fast to me with a good touch.
Another friend of mine has a Michael Maze with Flextra on. Yes, it is a slow rubber, but the control/ touch / spin are all very decent.
From there, im guessing Black Devil + Tackifire C Soft might be a good combo (considering tackifire is kinda a step up from flextra). I like how soft rubbers give u that good feel of what's going on when it strikes the ball.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2012
those are good rubbers already, you can get enough speed and spin with that set up with proper technique although i cant say much about the blade as ive never used it before, YEO is a light blade with good power, and it pairs well with both rubbers, BTW i find the NEO sponge of both TG and hurricane series to be a little softer and more bouncy, better for looping spin is the same though