Need Help! Xiom Blades vs Butterfly

says Begonnen bij TTC Damme, vorig jaar bij TTC Pipolic en nu...
May 2011
Hi everyone

Yesterdaynight something terrible happened during training...
I totally destroyed my 1-month old long-anticipated and well loved Timo Boll ZLC blade by counterlooping... against the table next to me (instead of the ball...) :(

As my wife will surely disagree with me concerning buying another 150€ blade on such a short notice, I'm desperately looking for a similar blade in a lesser price range.

I came upon these Xiom Blade series, all-appraised by the online community (all hail to google) and quite a lot cheaper than Butterfly, and I wonder which Xiom blade would fit me, since I dearly loved this ZLC blade.

So I wonder if anyone could advise me on which Xiom blade I might purchase that would be similar to the TB ZLC (or maybe the Jun Mizutani ZLC).

Here are my handpicked options:

N°1: Xiom Zetro Quad
N°2: Xiom Stradivarius
N°3: Xiom V1

If you would consider any of the Stiga or Andro blades would fit me even better, I would like to know your opinion, since these are the three brands I can get some pretty good reductions on, considering my dealer-client agreement.

As a side question: "How would the TB Spirit or the Michael Maze-blade compare to this ZLC blade?"

Thank you all for helping me out...
An extended "please-help-me-stretched-out-hand" goes to Carl Horowitz

yours Sincerely

Olvarox

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2012
Hi everyone

Yesterdaynight something terrible happened during training...
I totally destroyed my 1-month old long-anticipated and well loved Timo Boll ZLC blade by counterlooping... against the table next to me (instead of the ball...) :(

As my wife will surely disagree with me concerning buying another 150€ blade on such a short notice, I'm desperately looking for a similar blade in a lesser price range.

I came upon these Xiom Blade series, all-appraised by the online community (all hail to google) and quite a lot cheaper than Butterfly, and I wonder which Xiom blade would fit me, since I dearly loved this ZLC blade.

So I wonder if anyone could advise me on which Xiom blade I might purchase that would be similar to the TB ZLC (or maybe the Jun Mizutani ZLC).

Here are my handpicked options:

N°1: Xiom Zetro Quad
N°2: Xiom Stradivarius
N°3: Xiom V1

If you would consider any of the Stiga or Andro blades would fit me even better, I would like to know your opinion, since these are the three brands I can get some pretty good reductions on, considering my dealer-client agreement.

As a side question: "How would the TB Spirit or the Michael Maze-blade compare to this ZLC blade?"

Thank you all for helping me out...

yours Sincerely

Olvarox

Since you are used to composite blade, I would suggest the following in the order of power and control:
1. Axelo - more power less control
2. Strato - power and control (ideal choice)
3. Ignito - less power and more control

May 2011
Thanx for the comment! Anyone else?

says hAHAHAHA THANX MATE :D
says hAHAHAHA THANX MATE :D
Mar 2011
Since you are used to composite blade, I would suggest the following in the order of power and control:
1. Axelo - more power less control
2. Strato - power and control (ideal choice)
3. Ignito - less power and more control

Fong, if you say in that order, I would believe you:)..coz maybe I know who you work for hahahaha

So how about that friendly match that you're going to give me mate? :)

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews

yours Sincerel

Olvarox

Hey olvarox, before I go ahead and answer in more detail, I wanted to find something out. If you were going to get another blade and money was not an issue, would you get the same blade? In terms of play, while you were using the Timo Boll ZLC did you feel like it was pretty much exactly what you wanted or were you thinking you would like to try other blades like the Jun Mizutani which is also a ZLC? :)

I have a few ideas of how to handle this issue. But before I give them I want to know how you felt about that blade. How was it for close to the table? How was it for serving, for short game, for third ball attack, for mid distance looping, for when you get backed up and have to play defense?

By the way, that really sucks that that happened. I am sorry that you had such a good blade and such an expensive blade destroyed due to closeness of tables or how ever it happened.

Last edited:
May 2011
Will be replying soon...

May 2011
Well Carl...

I'm a looping kind of guy and a very aggressive player, always looking out for the attack, especially with my forehand topspin.

I'm in possession of an Andro Supreme Kinetic OFF-, which has outer Kiso Hinoki plies.

After weeks of doubting and researching, I decided to buy the TB ZLC because I wanted a higher speed but still not to lose too much control.
I currently play with Tenergy 64 2.1 on FH and Tenergy 05 1.9 on BH.
This setup suited me mighty fine, with sometimes a little bit difficulties on the really thin topspin strokes (upon a heavily pushed or chopped ball), tending to go long off the table.
I've never had the opportunity to try the TB Spirit, Maze Passion or the Mizutani ZLC blades, so I wonder how they would compare to this TB ZLC blade.
I guess I might spend somewhere between 75 and 100 euro for a new blade, putting Xiom blades and the TB spirit, M. Maze Passion blade right into my alley.
Still wondering about the stiga & andro series though, because I can get really good prices on them.

I would like no compromizes on the speed of the ZLC.

If anything, I would like the speed of the ZLC with just a tiny bit more control.

Yours sincerely

Olvarox

May 2011
The andro Supreme Kinetic Kiso Hinoki OFF- still remains a wonderfull wonderfull blade, but sometimes lacks this tiny amount of power when you're craving for it :)

The rubbers of the ZLC will remain for another 2 months or so...

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Okay, here goes. You gave me some very helpful information. First, it is good to know that you have a backup blade that might not be fast enough for your game but could hold you over till you get what you want. It is also good to know that you can take the rubbers from the ZLC and put them on another blade which might save you some money when you get your next setup. You also gave me info that tells me that you have played with a blade that has Hinoki in it, which is a good thing to know if you are interested in the Xiom Zetro Quad. What was of concern to me about that blade is that it has a Hinoki top ply and the TB ZLC has a Koto top ply. Koto plays very differently than Hinoki and the two will not feel very much alike in terms of blade feel. But, of the blades that you listed from Xiom, it is definitely the one that is closest to the speed of the ZLC.

None of the blades you mentioned, Michael Maze, TB Spirit, or the Xiom blades are as fast as the TB ZLC. But, of the blades you mentioned, the Timo Boll Spirit would be the closest to the ZLC in play, feeling. It would be slower. But the wood is the same. The Arylate/Cabon is different. But the Xiom Zetro Quad might be better for you because it would be faster than TB Spirit, still not as fast as the TB ZLC but a lot closer to that speed.

So here were the ideas I had.

1) If you are just buying a new blade and that will be your blade for the foreseeable future, go for the Xiom Zetro Quad. It actually might be a really good blade for you. A little slower than the TB ZLC, a little more control for touch as a result of the Hinoki, it will go well with the rubbers you have been using. Coming from using a Hinoki blade before the TB ZLC, the Xiom Zetro Quad might really be a great fit for you.

2) I am not sure this would be the best thing but it is definitely a good blade. The Timo Boll Spirit is really hard to go wrong with. It will feel like a Timo Boll ZLC without the steroids. It will have a similar feeling in terms of play. But it will be noticeably slower. The truth of the matter is, it is a solidly offensive blade, so it is really more than fast enough for most players. But in comparison to the speed of the TB ZLC, it will feel slow. :) It is not a bad option. But I think, the feeling of Hinoki with Zylon and Carbon (Xiom Zetro Quad) might be a better fit for you.

3) If you are thinking of ultimately buying another TB ZLC, keeping your old setup, using it for a few months, and putting approximately 30 Euro a month aside, and wait 5 months to buy another TB ZLC.

4) If you get a big discount on Stiga you might look into getting a Stiga Carbo 7.6. It is considerably less expensive than the Xiom Zetro Quad. It is a similar speed, but a different feeling. Carbo 7.6 is faster than TB Spirit, but slower than TB ZLC. It is a pretty good blade with excellent touch and feeling for a blade with Carbon. This option is for, if, down the line, you are thinking of getting another TB ZLC as well. With a discount, the Carbo 7.6 might be pretty inexpensive. And it is really a very good blade. It has a great feeling. Stiga blades are sort of delicate though. Part of why they have such good feeling is because of the fact that they are delicate. With the Carbo 7.6, if you can get it with a regular handle instead of a WRB handle (hollow), the handle will be more sturdy, so that is worth it, if you can get that.

Anyway, I hope that helps. I think that the Xiom Zetro Quad might be a great blade for you. Ultimately, it might even fit your game better than the TB ZLC. Hinoki-Zylon/Carbon might be just the thing for how you play. More touch without sacrificing speed. I also think, in spite of the fact that it would be different than other blades you have used, the Stiga Carbo 7.6 might be a good weapon for you to try, especially if you wanted to spend a little less, since you are able to get a decent discount on Stiga products.

Hope this helps, and good luck finding the right weapon.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2011
From Stiga i would recomend Hybrid wood it has a bit softer wood feel but outstanding control for its speed, and Carbokev where the carbon layers are deep in the blade so its a fast carbon blade with some wood feel and great control for a fast blade.

May 2011
Hi

Thx for the advice! My number one question now is how this Zetro Quad must compare vs my andro supreme kinetic off- zylon-kiso-hinoki blade? My idea would be a similar feel, but faster due to the carbon?
It's no use buying the same blade twice...

Moreover, I found this on my Andro blade:

KINETIC SUPREME – a synonym for joy of playing in 2009 !
With the innovative Anti-Torsion veneer technology andro has achieved to eliminate the blade torsion and the related vibrations almost completely. As a result the enlarged sweetspot (ball hitting area) creates more efficient hitting power and pressure to the ball.
Additional effect: the more direct total ball feedback means more control accompanied by more dynamic. Kinetic Supreme – a new performance level of Kinetic blades.

Features:
•*Kinetic grip system and new kinds of core veneers for additional stability and to avoid annoying vibrations.
•*The whole striking power is released solely when contacting the ball – nothing gets lost!
•*Incomparable control and feeling
•*Setting new benchmarks in regard to precision
•*Extra high ball flying curve for topspin orientated players
•*Extended durability by 360° edge protection
andro is celebrating a premiere by introducing Kinetic Supreme OFF- Zylon/Kiso Hinoki constructed blade: An extra smooth and feelingly touch of a Kiso Hinoki wood combined with hardness and stability of a Zylon-Carbon wood.
The result: A blade, exposing its all over strength. The one who wants to gain the winning point by precise and controlled block strategy will find this type a must as well as the one who tends to offensive play without compromise.* This blade is really a multi-talent. The weight reduction achieved comes up to a lot of players' wish to have an extra lightweight Carbon blade. Moreover, this blade has another positive feature: A pleasant balance.

Last edited:
May 2011
As a side question I still wonder how the mizutani ZLC would compare to the TB ZLC...

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2012
As a side question I still wonder how the mizutani ZLC would compare to the TB ZLC...

i own a MJ blade and i also had a chance to hit a few balls with the TB ZLC and from what i recall MJ is slower than ZLC, it has better control though, if you are looking for similar power with TB ZLC then MJ may not be a good choice, its still fast though, just not TB ZLC fast.

your previous post got me curious, why would you say "its no use buying the same blade twice"

May 2011
Thx for the reply sxTT!

I'll explain myself a little bit more:

Both The Andro Kinetic Supreme OFF- Kiso/Hinoki blade and the Xiom Zetro Quad blade have

- Carbon
- Zylon
- Hinoki outer plies...
- even their pricing is identical in many places

So I started thinking: aren't these two not a kind of twins, but from a different manufacturer? => I don't want to buy 2 identical blades...

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2012
ok got it:) unfortunately i havent tried kinetic supreme or any andro blades, but ive tried looking it up and they do have the same composition and might actually play the same but im not sure, if there are any players in you club who owns a zetro quad maybe you can hit a few balls with it then compare. have you considered pure carbon blades like gergely and primo carbon? maybe a tad faster than zlc, some says they all have the same power, control is also ok but not great, but also manageable with decent technique, specially gergely