PDA

View Full Version : position of left leg during serve

blahness
05-25-2012, 12:32 AM
Just something I've noticed a few times when watching videos, on how to use your body weight to serve, and to return back to ready position.

Many thanks to TTPoster for uploading these fantastic videos for us to analyse!

This is Zhang Jike's FH pendulum serve.

Zhang Jike's left foot is raised above ground and his hand is blurred, indicating that he is about to accelerate his arm during service (1st pic). As he stomps his left foot down(2nd pic) his body weight is transferred to the ball, resulting in a stronger spin serve.

He pushes off his left foot from the stomp and springs backward(pic 3-notice how his right foot is above ground). This helps him to reach his final position in pic 4, which is his ready position.

azlan
05-25-2012, 04:18 AM
Exactly:)...people always raise their eye brows whenever I said that the strength of the serve actually starts from your foot. It's the transfer of weight that created the extra spin on the ball, not just arm and wrist action:)

strangeloop
05-25-2012, 04:57 AM
Thanks.. I am trying to improve my technique on high toss serves.. Will keep this in mind.

blahness
05-25-2012, 08:00 AM
Also notice how Xu Xin is pushing off his left foot right AFTER the ball has been hit by Zhang Jike... amazing coordination as it all happens in just a split second

Rainer87
05-25-2012, 10:30 AM
Very good observation. I am looking China Open at the moment, match between XU Xin and KIM Donghyun, both are stomping their foot, Xu his right and Kim his left. I must try it out myself as well.

judah000
05-25-2012, 10:44 AM
Exactly:)...people always raise their eye brows whenever I said that the strength of the serve actually starts from your foot. It's the transfer of weight that created the extra spin on the ball, not just arm and wrist action:)

Thats exactly what you told me sir.!!!

Giangt
05-25-2012, 03:14 PM
I usually do a rotation with my body at the same time as my arm so that I am facing the front of the table when the serve is executed. This means I lift my left foot before action on the ball. afterwards I have put it down I start rotate on it while brushing the ball.

PlasmaLight
05-25-2012, 03:29 PM
my power comes just from my arm and wrist :D but its heavy spin in it. but when i try to use my body, i miss the ball :D

Der_Echte
05-25-2012, 04:36 PM
As a right handed player, you usually want to stomp or at least place the left foot down at impact and transfer weight and pivot off that foot. It gives a lot more control and balance, which helps anticipation of return.

As a variation, one can stomp the right foot as a righty and hop into position. I used to do this until I learned how to pivot off my left foot. You my see this from time to time, but as a general practice, most players push off their left foot for power, spin, control, and balance to get to the ready position for next shot sequence.