position of left leg during serve

This user has no status.
Just something I've noticed a few times when watching videos, on how to use your body weight to serve, and to return back to ready position.

1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg

Many thanks to TTPoster for uploading these fantastic videos for us to analyse!

This is Zhang Jike's FH pendulum serve.

Zhang Jike's left foot is raised above ground and his hand is blurred, indicating that he is about to accelerate his arm during service (1st pic). As he stomps his left foot down(2nd pic) his body weight is transferred to the ball, resulting in a stronger spin serve.

He pushes off his left foot from the stomp and springs backward(pic 3-notice how his right foot is above ground). This helps him to reach his final position in pic 4, which is his ready position.

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
As a right handed player, you usually want to stomp or at least place the left foot down at impact and transfer weight and pivot off that foot. It gives a lot more control and balance, which helps anticipation of return.

As a variation, one can stomp the right foot as a righty and hop into position. I used to do this until I learned how to pivot off my left foot. You my see this from time to time, but as a general practice, most players push off their left foot for power, spin, control, and balance to get to the ready position for next shot sequence.