Glue

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2010
I hit the table pretty hard and the top of my rubber is peeling off. Does it matter what glue I use to fix it?

says Wangliqin Stop Spamming [IMG]
says Wangliqin Stop Spamming [IMG]
Oct 2010
Official answer is Yes, the glue matters.
You will need a Waterbased VOC-free (volatile organic compounds) glue

7.2.1 Coverings may be attached to racket blades only by means of pressure-sensitive adhesive sheets or liquid adhesives that do not contain certain harmful solvents. Organisers are required to provide a properly ventilated gluing area and players must not use liquid glues or the associated solvents anywhere else in the playing hall, including changing rooms and practice and spectator areas.

7.2.2 Glues containing harmful volatile compounds are no longer approved by the ITTF. The ITTF has informed all players to cease using glues containing volatile compounds and any player using such glues will be doing so at his own risk. As of 1 January 2008 for ITTF Junior events, and 1 September 2008 for all other ITTF events, the ITTF will implement a new zero tolerance racket testing program and protocol, using the “e-nez” and RAE instruments to ensure that all rackets used by players are free of volatile compounds. Adhesives containing volatile organic solvents can not be used at the playing venue.

Glues containing harmful volatile compounds are no longer approved by the ITTF. The ITTF has informed all players to cease using glues containing volatile compounds and any player using such glues will be doing so at his own risk. As of 1 January 2008 for ITTF Junior events, and 1 September 2008 for all other ITTF events, the ITTF will implement a new zero tolerance racket testing program.

Unofficially, depends on your situation

Scenario A: if you are active player and play regularly in sanctioned tournaments, then Yes. Go by the rule.
Scenario B: if you are a recreational player or not participating in any tournaments or if your racket is an off-shelf item from any local sporting stores, No. any glue will do. Because most of the manufacture uses "super glue" (None ITTF compliance & illegal)

I will be a umpire soon, trust me on this one.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2010
I use tearmender instead.It 's ,much cheaper does excactly the same work(in my opinion, some say that it change the characteristics of the rubber) but the most important it does not damage the sponge or the blade.You can not find tearmender in UK but there is something similar called Copydex which i never used though.You can find a video in youtube called "Gluing Racket with TearMender"

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2010
i thought that re-gluing your racket wasn't important, and i kinda ignored the fact that my rubber was peeling off. hahahaha, big mistake. my coach re glued it right before match play training. i had a such a hard time adjusting 'cause it made the bounce so much stronger. I just suggest water based glue. it's easy and quick. :D