New from USA

This user has no status.
Greetings everyone!

My name is Keith (19) from Southern California. I was born in the Philippines, but moved in the US when I was about 6 years old.
I have only been playing for about 1.5 months. I'm not a good player yet, but I am pretty decent.
I currently play at my college's ping pong club. But in 2 weeks, I will be taking technique lessons from a bigger club that is close to my area and I'm hoping to train there more often.

My goal with this sport is to be the best I can possibly be and beat everyone in the world. Just kidding. :D But I seriously want to be really good at it. My primary sport used to be basketball, but I just enjoy table tennis even more. Even watching ITTF events is more enjoyable than watching the NBA. I just wish I started playing way sooner. But man... I just love this sport. I want to contribute to it as much as I can.
I'm a penholder (RPB). I'm currently using: a 729 Bomb Penhold, FH: Hurricane 3 Neo with orange sponge (2.15) and BH: 729 Transcend (1.5).
Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys!

says Begonnen bij TTC Damme, vorig jaar bij TTC Pipolic en nu...
says Begonnen bij TTC Damme, vorig jaar bij TTC Pipolic en nu...
May 2011
I wonder if there's any huge difference between rpb with European/Japanese Vs Chinese rubbers?

And I also wonder: How much time would it take for a 5 year-long player to switch to the Penhold-system and be as good as before?

says wah sama dong kalo gitu... maen pingpong dari kelas...
says wah sama dong kalo gitu... maen pingpong dari kelas...
Nov 2011
hello..
Stay to use PH grip bro. Indeed it is hard for the beginner PH player to develop the game in SH majority club. Fighting!
(sorry for my bad english)

This user has no status.
hello..
Stay to use PH grip bro. Indeed it is hard for the beginner PH player to develop the game in SH majority club. Fighting!
(sorry for my bad english)

Thanks Medari! that's a good advice. I will try to insist if she makes me switch. I'm very comfortable with PH already and I can adjust my bat to any angle and any direction I want.
and my girlfriend is from Surabaya, so if you want to speak in Bahasa, I can understand it a little. :]

says hAHAHAHA THANX MATE :D
Mar 2011
Thanks for the welcome guys!
That's an interesting question olva...
Also, the coach where I'll be taking my lessons uses a SH grip, so it makes me wonder if she will make me switch my grip. I hope not though... :\

Maybe not. My old coach, a PH changed me from PH to HS. But that was to take me up to a whole another level and I really appreciated that. :)

Mar 2011
It was in the early 90's. I didn't know it was limiting my potential. I had been using PH since 70's! And I was good using PH :) He said after a 3 sessions that I should change to HS (though he's a PH) saying HS was the way forward for me.

I was not an RPB guy, back then no such thing. I used JapPH and standing close to mid table. Never had any problems with my BH. But when he changed me to HS, that was when my game really flourished. He said it's the way of the future. I had extra time in every shot, and found a whole new dimension in my game that I didn't even know existed. It took me 2 weeks to adjust to HS with his help:)

I still uses PH for fun, since I really miss that over the table smash that only a PH can do:)

This user has no status.
welcome kababayan ( if you can understand tagalog), what is your style of play?

Of course I can! pero mahina akong mag-Tagalog.. :\
My style of play? Since I have only been playing for almost 2 months, it's hard for me to tell. My knowledge of table tennis and terminology for describing my style would be limited as well. But I'll try... haha
Most of the time, I usually force my opponent to return my serves on my forehand side and I'll just start playing aggressive from then on. I try to loop every chance that I get. I also incorporate the reverse backhand in my game. If I forget to use the reverse side, I tend to just block or push with my backhand (the traditional way). Yup.. That's about it for now. I still have lots to learn.

This user has no status.
I think u should continue developing ur traditional backhand before learning how to do rpb. I'm a penholder myself, i go online to see wang hao and xu xin to see they do rpb.

Thanks Derek!

Also, I just came back from my first lesson. It was amazing. I learned so much! I have 5 more lessons left. She was surprised how fast I learned everything! I guess things just come naturally when you play a lot of different sports. She widened my understanding of the
basics. I thought basketball required a lot of thinking and fast reactions, but table tennis is in a whole different level! ... I love this sport.
oh, and the awesome thing is.. she's letting me play in her club FOR FREE! :D :D :D

Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀

Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀
Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
Hey Keith your an inspiration! Welcome to the site and the sport! :)

I wish I could coach you, I love your enthusiasm and willingness to learn, it will get you far! Listen, your only 19 years old. I know some players who started later and have reached extraordinary heights in the sport, so anythings possible. Great to hear also that you prefer watching ITTV instead of NBA I totally agree :p

Glad your first lesson went well, please keep us updated, any tips, tricks you want to know just ask us and will reply to you in no time. Infact, a good way we help people is by getting them to post videos online so we can comment on your technique etc. Uploading some videos to youtube and embedding them in your posts will help us greatly :) I love the internet hehe

Welcome!

This user has no status.
Hey Dialetic, it's good to hear that you're really into Table Tennis. I love the sport and would love to hit a few with you one day. Although I live in Northern CA, I go to LA about 3 times a year to visit family and friends...I'm originally from Socal. Keep up the good work, practice and play as much as you can!!