problem with cutting soft rubbers! Frustrating really!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2011
Hi all

Just cut some rubbers with a cutter (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:OLFA_cutter.JPG), the type in the link. The rubbers are Calibra Spin Max. I was cutting it on a proper cutterboard, full strength, in facrt, i enough cut the cutter board O_O. The point is, im doing everything properly, i even took the tip of dipping some water on the blade first. Anyway, the sponge still broke.....the edgde broke almost all the way....looks ugly

Im sure people who have used sogt rubbers would have come across this b4. Is there any tips of preventing the breaking? Rubbers are too expensive for breaking :(

Cheers

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2011
dont use cutterboard underneath use a smooth glass surface it makes it easier. also with soft rubbers there are two ways to cut if you are using a cutter...
1st way is to cut through the sponge all the way around and then the topsheet
or 2nd way to go in all the way through also use a very low angle with the cutter it makes things easier and a better cut.

a very low angle should be used in both incidents

i use something like this http://www.lmpenterprises.co.uk/black-box-cutter-stanley-knife-627-p.asp except it only cost me 4 euro from tescos

you can see the similarity here
here im cutting a hard sponge hard topsheet tg2 neo ( hard chinese rubbers are so easy to cut well)

anyway with softer rubber there is also another way to go about it. and that is to outline the blade shape on to the sponge then use scissors.

if you are using a box cutter. and the rubber is already glued onto the blade.. lean down on the bladewith as much weight as possible that should prevent the rubber from stretching with the blade while u cut it

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2012
I also have this problem. After cutting Calibra LT Spin, the sponge tend to break (the edge are not smooth).

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I use a heavy duty X-Acto knife for trimming when the rubber has already been cut and it has been expanded by boost and no longer fits.

http://www.all-spec.com/products/X3205.html?gclid=CN-y4avQyLACFYpM4Aod5SnPWg

I use it with a special blade designed for carving and trimming. So the blade is perfect for that job.

If I am cutting a new sheet of rubber, I use a high quality pair of scissors. I watched the guys at my old club do it enough to know that you can cut it perfectly if you have done it a few times. The first two times I did it, it was not so easy. Now I can cut it so it looks like it was done by a machine. The scissors have to be sharp and thin. Bulky scissors are not good. My scissors are a normal size they are just good. I got them at an art supply store not an office supply store. That problem cannot happen with scissors. The issue with scissors is getting it started because the handle is in the way. After a few times, it is easy. You just go slowly until you are past where the handle is in the way. The rest is easy.