Help with Cpen

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2012
Factors that you may want to consider:
1. No of ply - choose 5-ply as it provide you with more feel and lighter in weight
2. Thickness of blade - choose thickness less than 6mm because after you fix the blade with 2 rubbers you can grip the blade comfortably
3. Choose wood vs composite - wooden blade has more feel and manageable
4. Rubber - don't choose a rubber that is too fast if you a beginner, FH a bit faster than BH
5. Total - try not to fix with Chinese rubber as it burden your wrist for RPB
Hope this help.

Reactions: azlan and mgpyone
This user has no status.
I am also a beginner with a RBP grip. The blade I currently use is Friendship 729 Bomb. I've had it for almost a month now and it's helping me improve my game. The quality is so-so, but it's only $20 USD, so it's not too bad. As for my rubbers, I use DHS Hurricane Neo3 for my FH and 729 Transcend for my BH. The Neo3 is tacky (somewhat slow), and the 729 does the job. This set up gives me good control and good speed.nI'm not sure what rubber characteristic is ideal for the BH, so I hope someone can answer that for you.

says wah sama dong kalo gitu... maen pingpong dari kelas...
says wah sama dong kalo gitu... maen pingpong dari kelas...
Nov 2011
Try to stick the FH rubber not too far from the handle, just like a SH paddle, like Wang Hao does. It's really comfortable for rpb

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2010
In terms of doing the actual RPB I find that it really helps that you adjust the angle of your grip away from what is normally used for normal traditional penhold. Whereas with traditional your ring finger and pinky just remain in line with your middle finger, thereby making a line coming out perpendicular to the face of the paddle, with RPB I find that it really helps with consistency and just overall getting used to being good with the RPB if you instead place your two fingers lower on the face of the paddle. As in they are placed so that they are both smashed up against the face of the paddle, this gives you much better control, and changes the angle of your paddle so that its more like the angle that shakehand users have for their backhand.

This user has no status.
In terms of doing the actual RPB I find that it really helps that you adjust the angle of your grip away from what is normally used for normal traditional penhold. Whereas with traditional your ring finger and pinky just remain in line with your middle finger, thereby making a line coming out perpendicular to the face of the paddle, with RPB I find that it really helps with consistency and just overall getting used to being good with the RPB if you instead place your two fingers lower on the face of the paddle. As in they are placed so that they are both smashed up against the face of the paddle, this gives you much better control, and changes the angle of your paddle so that its more like the angle that shakehand users have for their backhand.

Sir Can you take a picture of how you grip your blade? Thank you sir in advance.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2011
ive been playing CPEN with RPB for the last 3 years. and i started off with a 5 year old sheet of Hurricane 3 provincial and Siga mendo Mp also around 5 years old.

but now its Hurricane hao blade and a new H3 provincial or TG3 blue sponge( i thing Tg3 is easier to use than H3) and i went with something soft on BH like Focus 3 Snipe. and been playing with that for the last year or two.

and to anyone who says H3 or tg3 are slow .. you are doing it wrong!!! :)

if you want an allround fh+ RPB grip look at Wang Haos grip.... if you want something more FH oriented ( more power) look up Ma lin and Xu Xin grips

heres how i grip mine, sort of... dont pay attention to the rubbers that was just for fun..

http://s1083.photobucket.com/albums/j399/decoiy/WHao/

Last edited:
This user has no status.
ive been playing CPEN with RPB for the last 3 years. and i started off with a 5 year old sheet of Hurricane 3 provincial and Siga mendo Mp also around 5 years old.

but now its Hurricane hao blade and a new H3 provincial or TG3 blue sponge( i thing Tg3 is easier to use than H3) and i went with something soft on BH like Focus 3 Snipe. and been playing with that for the last year or two.

and to anyone who says H3 or tg3 are slow .. you are doing it wrong!!! :)

if you want an allround fh+ RPB grip look at Wang Haos grip.... if you want something more FH oriented ( more power) look up Ma lin and Xu Xin grips

heres how i grip mine, sort of... dont pay attention to the rubbers that was just for fun..

http://s1083.photobucket.com/albums/j399/decoiy/WHao/

Thank you so much for the picture. Correct me if I'm wrong sir. your index finger is on just a relax mode while the thumb is the one who put alot of pressure to hold your blade right? and the middle finger is also pushing the blade? sorry for bad english

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2011
Without knowing your skill level it is hard to give equipment advice. What I'm going to say anyway is that try to avoid being lured by the manufacturers to buy a blade because it has Wang Hao's or Ma Lin's name on it. They're good blades, at least Yasaka Ma Lin Extra Offensive is. But it(or a custom version of it) is(probably) used by both Ma Lin and Wang Hao, so you may want to consider whether you're as good player as they are. Hehe, I'm not any better myself either, got lured to buying MEO and Stiga rosewood, but somehow I still can't play like Ma Lin or Xu Xin. At the moment I'm considering would something like Stiga allround classic Be the right way.
Another thing about the manufacturers' blade classification is that you shouldn't get fooled to think that you can't play an offensive game with an "Allround" blade for example. There is no need to get an OFF+++++++ or even an OFF blade for offensive (penhold style) of play.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2011
Penholder here, it's been said already but for a beginner's blade the Yasaka Extra Offensive is very good and reasonably priced. I find the C-Pen version of PG7 also quite usable but it's faster and may be harder at the beginning. For rubbers, definitely use a Chinese rubber FH and something slower and softer on BH for RPB. For Chinese rubbers its really just a contest between Hurricane 3 and Skyline 3 which both have a few versions within themselves with different costs. As a beginner just a commercial version should start you off nicely.

As for technique, firstly get your grip right. There's 2 distinguishable grips; traditional and RPB. For RPB you want at least your middle finger straight on the back and maybe also your ring finger. This is to provide stability when you play RPB I believe. Other technical differences between the penhold and shakehand in general is you'll find footwork is much more important and your short game is something you need to nail down quickly.

Other than that, good luck.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2012
Yasaka Extra Offensive is a VERY good blade; but i got myself a Galaxy W-6 just 3 days back and it works great.
I also put DHS Hurr 3 (prv) on the FH and LKT Pro XP on the BH - but the combination turned out to be very heavy(though it works awsum). Also, i like to spin a lot and DHS HUrr 3 wasnt giving me the spin that i expected. I reverted to Aurus Soft on my FH and Aurus on my BH and now the combination is very very light and i get the control+speed+spin. VERY happy.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2011
I followed ShaolinTT's advice on blade and rubbers. My first blade and rubber is: YEO FH: skyline 3 Neo BH: Sriver EL. But I want to try Focus 3 Snipe because Butterfly is OP(For me). But over all, I'm Very Happy.

presports sell cheap Sriver el fx and normal one only 27 usd.

Focus 3 snipe is a good one with a light to medium layer of speed glue its even beter.. this oen is real soft. and can bottom out if someone hits it hard at you.. the speed glue kind helps it from bottoming out as much