Japanese Juniors making a push

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2010
with the Japanese junior girls securing victory over China earlier today it looks like the Japanese Junior boys are trying to do the same.

although it is still Asian dominated I am liking the possibility of the swing of power in the future hopefully.

I don't know why and I can't really pin-point it but, I have always liked the Japanese style of play.

Boys Scoring:

Article on the Girls

I think that photo of Kasumi says it all

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2010
To be honest its really hard to judge from these random victories. There are so many people in China playing table tennis that we have no idea who will ultimately make it onto the national team for China. I mean when Jun Mizutani first came out, we thought he might be the answer to Chinese dominance, but then Chinese players we never hear about appear. Zhang Jike was kind of known by then, but no one had even heard of Xu Xin, and now he usually beats Mizutani, and in another 2-3 years, there will be another crop of Chinese players who will appear and generally dominate.

says Photino rocks xD
says Photino rocks xD
Nov 2010
To be honest its really hard to judge from these random victories. There are so many people in China playing table tennis that we have no idea who will ultimately make it onto the national team for China. I mean when Jun Mizutani first came out, we thought he might be the answer to Chinese dominance, but then Chinese players we never hear about appear. Zhang Jike was kind of known by then, but no one had even heard of Xu Xin, and now he usually beats Mizutani, and in another 2-3 years, there will be another crop of Chinese players who will appear and generally dominate.

I totally agree, however one should add that the chinese pool of people easily overwhelms any country's especially since table tennis is one of their natioanl sports. There are countless professionals that are easily better than some world class players however they arent in the national team simply because they arent good enough and cannot gain the top spots. One might also consider that china is a developing country and many good players live in poverty and cannot gain the opportunities to reach their potential or let their potential show.
The chinese selection is also very ruthless and if one the top players does not consistently perform, they will be easily replaced.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2010
haha thanks for totally agreeing atomic chaos.... and congrats on winning the paddle blade. I made it out of the first round at least.... haha

but yeah, that's exactly why its hard to foresee any country really providing a honest threat to China in table tennis. China has refined its degree of training to a science, and it has such a huge pool of players to choose from. When you have thousands upon thousands of insanely talented players you have the luxury to pick out from that group those who are at an even higher level of talent and skill. Other countries simply do not have that option, they might get lucky and find someone who has natural born table tennis talent, but it's not as likely as it is in China.

I don't really agree with the poverty statement however, poverty is really relative, and frankly most people in China live quite well, in terms of nutrition and what not. Saying that the average salary in China is like a few hundred American dollars is meaningless because with those a few hundred dollars you can buy a ton more food in China than you would in the US. In fact i would say the average Chinese person in China's living standard is really not much lower if at all than the average European.