all wood vs composite blades

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2012
ok, what do you prefer???

let's make a poll (i don't know how to submit a poll, the operator maybe can).

also an observation..Ma long became number 1 since he changed his blade from TBS to an all wood DHS....

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
The general thing about both type of blade is the trade off of speed and consistency with feel and control.

I love all wood personally :)

As simply put as possible but, a perfect answer.

There is also a theory that, for players who are learning to play or under a certain level, using an all wood blade is better because it is easier to learn what to do with the ball with a blade where you can feel what you are doing with the ball better. Along with that a blade that is rated Off- or All+ is supposed to be better for developing technique than an Off rated blade.

All Wood. Many top flight pros use all wood blades.

Last edited:
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
i used to play the Waldner Senso Carbon but now i prefer my Stiga Tube Allround blade , which is a all wood blade, and i prefer the all wood blade now !!

Stiga Tube Allround is a great blade. I really love the feeling of that blade. I like what I have as well. But that blade is as good as it gets. :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2012
after playing with many composite blades, I finally came around and settled on a 5 ply

most forum members would be wise to do the same

but for those who simply want to have fun, blast away with bryce speed on amultart :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2012
how fast is your eb vii??can you compare it with other blades, faster than TBS for example?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2011
Read 4 reviews
I'm not sure about this and correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm fairly certain that many CNT and other professional players trade out handles of a sponsored blade with their own preferred blade. I think Ma Long and ZJK both fall into that category. I know that many Euro players have done the same as well, and I also know many top US players who do the same to keep compliant with sponsors.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2011
Read 1 reviews
I made a little research about Olympic winners' blade (men):
1988: Yoo Nam Kyu (KOR) --> Don't know, most probably all wood since carbon was not popular back then.
1992: Jan-Ove Waldner (SWE) --> Even Waldner forgot (stated in his interview). Nowadays he is using carbon (Waldner Senso Carbon) but most probably he was using allwood.
1996: Liu Guoliang (CHN) --> Stiga Clipper (Allwood)
2000: Kong Linghui (CHN) --> Avalox P500 (Allwood). Later he used Kong Linghui Special with a carbon ply only in the backhand side.
2004: Ryu Seung-Min (KOR) --> 1-ply, thick hinoki blade (Allwood).
2008: Ma Lin (CHN) --> Yasaka Ma Lin Extra Offensive (Allwood).
2012: Zhang Jike (CHN) --> Butterfly Viscaria (Carbon).

Both allwood and carbon has been used by Olympic champs.
However, bty Viscaria got an Arylate Carbon which enhances feeling, damps vibration and combined with the balsa core actually make it feel rather woody. I don't know but I think human still need things natural :p

That's my little research.

Cheers,
Yosan

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
All Wood. More feeling, more control, more dwell time so extra spin. Not as consistent, not as big a sweet spot, more vibration (which is part of why it has more feeling), but the feeling, the control, the slightly increased dwell time and the extra spin are all worth it to me.

Truthfully, the most important part is the feeling. The extra feeling helps you learn to hold the ball on the rubber and spin the ball better. You might not even realize that is happening, but your body learns from the feedback.

The Arylate-Carbon combos are close, the blades with just Zylon are close. They are better in many ways than all wood blades. But the feeling from an all wood blade still beats the new technology blades.

All wood is good.

This user has no status.
I was always a fan of all wood blades, and have started experimenting going from a Clipper CR to a ZLC.

The additional power is useful, and I hope by getting used to it I can claw back some loss of spin. I tend to get the feedback of my shots more from how they land, and less from the feeling on the blade / in the hand these days.

I'm wondering which composite / all wood would be the best balance between dwell and power. Something firmer than a Clipper, at 85g or less. Any thoughts?